Quinta Studio - 3D printed interior for NEW P-51D, Su-25, F-16C

Jan_G

It is kind of hard to tell what Block the F-16 is but I went ahead and pulled the trigger.  It's at least a 25 or MLU so I bought one to see.  Will post pics when it arrives.  It's nice to see they offer two versions of the Su-25 which I shall get next if these are nice. 

Looks really nice for sure, but we are getting to a point where modelling skills seem to be no longer needed... Researching and having fun painting a nicely detailed cockpit? Nah, just peel off the panels from their carrier film and stick them to the tub you've spent two minutes painting it grey. What's next? Pre-painted and weathered kit parts? 

1 hour ago, Starfighter said:

Looks really nice for sure, but we are getting to a point where modelling skills seem to be no longer needed... Researching and having fun painting a nicely detailed cockpit? Nah, just peel off the panels from their carrier film and stick them to the tub you've spent two minutes painting it grey. What's next? Pre-painted and weathered kit parts? 

So I'm assuming you've never, ever used a single aftermarket item on a kit?

2 hours ago, Starfighter said:

True Ben but I think the same can be said about 3D printing or any aftermarket set! In the current case, it is simply impossible to get a similar result with painting whatever are the modeller's skills. 

I'm loving this. Doing cockpits is one of the dullest processes for me, and this does the job — and beautifully by the looks of it. 

Frankly, Eduard is too 2D, and pin vise drilling and adding ANYZ details slightly insane. DIY detailing of plastic or resin tends to create jet cockpits that look like a bubble gum machine. And adding etch to bang seats (as there's a complete absence of HGW style jet seat straps) is a cyanoacrylate sticky finger nightmare from hell that generates mixed results.

This is good — great move forward for 1/32 jet modellers. More please! And available at Hannants or similar post Brexit please too.

Tony 

4 hours ago, Starfighter said:

I agree with Ben here.

2 hours ago, vince14 said:

So I'm assuming you've never, ever used a single aftermarket item on a kit?

You have a fairly relevant point Vince, Although I will argue that most of the aftermarket that I have used recently has required lots of work to get it to incorporate into the intended kit seamlessly and then on top of that, requires more attention when painting than the original kit part to look decent. They require a different skill set.

It is pretty hard to argue against using these parts as they are really nice and do look very good. At the end of the day though, that flash cockpit isn't really your own work though is it? That expensive real wood laminated prop isn't your own work is it? We are diverging ever further away from what our hobby is meant to be, that is, satisfying because we have made it ourselves. Yes, some of us are time poor and it is nice to have a beautiful replica finished and on display quickly without taking ages, and these items certainly assist that.... BUT..... You should also consider that you only get good at something if you do it over and over and practice. You wont get that by `peeling and sticking on' a cockpit or a prop!.

**** I may or may not use these parts in the future.... please feel free to give me a ribbing if I do!********

Colour matching is an issue with this kind of thing I find. I like that Yahu give you the closest colour in the Gunze  H Range to their coloured panels. However I have pretty much moved to MRP for everything, and matching these can be a pain. I will unreservedly unashamedly admit I will use this in 1/48 scale. Cockpits aren’t my favourite part of the process in any scale I prefer to concentrate on for and finish of the outer parts. Luckily I don’t do big jets where these things might appeal more due to the nature of multiple panels and colours in the cockpit. My Prop stash won’t really require these. My growing 1/48 Phantom stash though, as I’ve said above I welcome these for my plans with the F-4.