Colombia Kfir C10 Revell+Isracast

red Dog

Mark,

It's from an old polish book: Monographie Lotnicze number 27 Iai KFIR (AJ press)

heer's an image from the cover from Scalemates

102303-10000-51-pristine.jpg

The centre section contains many 1/72 scale Drawings for many Kfir versions and I rescaled them to 1/32 printed on A3

Edited by red Dog

6 hours ago, Scotsman said:

Now if I could just get my hands on a Mirage 5 conversion to scratch my Nesher itch!

hi

ask Harold ( AMS) he should have the nose cone that will fit to the Italieri kit 

Alain 

Edited by alain11

11 hours ago, red Dog said:

Mark,

It's from an old polish book: Monographie Lotnicze number 27 Iai KFIR (AJ press)

heer's an image from the cover from Scalemates

The centre section contains many 1/72 scale Drawings for many Kfir versions and I rescaled them to 1/32 printed on A3

Yep, the AJ Press book is a cool one alright, as is this one from AD Graphics

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are not tired of Mirage III conversions yet? 

:)

because here's more:

4. Fuselage

Kfir_31_fuselage.png

Revell did a pretty good job back half a century ago..

As usual, work started with basic engraving, sanding and making holes for the vents provided by Isracast

Kfir_32_fuselage.png

Isracast instructions are not very clear about where to cut the rear fuselage to insert the large resin part Under the J79 engine (it's also the engine support)

I scratched my head quite a bit and finally decided for a conservative cut and more sanding until the resin part could fit. But even doing so I cut one side too far and ended up with a noticeable gap.

Nothing unrepairable with plasticard and putty.

The rear end smartly inserts into the rear belly resin part which allow easy dry fit and checking the ongoing work before gluing anything.

Kfir_33_fuselage.png

The resin fuselage air intakes are fitted under a sheet of self adhesive aluminium paper in which rivets are (will be) punched

Kfir_34_fuselage.png

The model could be almost completely dryfitted, even the long resin nose match already quite nicely the Revell fuselage.
The cockpit was also installed to check if there would be any fitting problem. It stands nicely on the nose gear bay and fits nicely Inside both fuselage halves. No major problem expected there. 
The IP is placed as well but will need to be redone as the C10 had a much more modern glass cockpit

Kfir_35_fuselage.png

Thanks gents.

There is a lot to do on the belly but to be able to start this I first need to close the fuselage halves. And before doing that the gear bay and the pit need to be sorted out a minimum.

5. Gear bays

All gear bays are supplied in the Isracast set.
details are crisp and provide a very good base for painting and weathering. Some plumbing could be added in the mains but the nose gear bay is quite complete.

I deliberately took some artistic licence painting the gear bays as I was unable to find Colombian pictures. I saw Swiss mirages gear bay pictures taken from a fellow modelist in Belgium (Thanks Bob, invaluable references) and IAF Kfir gate keeper pictures where the gear bays were sprayed the same colour as the underside.

I decided to go with what I found entertaining to do and that's painting them as hi res picture I have. As the Columbians did update the Kfirs, chances are that the gear bay were reworked as well and original paint may have been restored. If not, well I could always respray them if it's wrong but frankly I don't really care if it not 100% as it should be. What matters is that the result was fun to get and is plausible enough for me.

Kfir_21_nosegearbay.png

Base colour for the nose gear is interior yellow and details painted in black, aluminium and gray.

Kfir_22_nosegearbay.png

Weathering's done with a brown wash and dybrush and the nose gear bay is ready to be closed and inserted into the fuselage halves.

The main gear bays are also first painted interior yellow with some panel in gray. Some details were painted in aluminium and the wires on the side are painted in copper.

Kfir_23_maingearbay.png

Then the underwing part were sprayed with aluminium and weathering was done with a brown and black wash.

Kfir_25_maingearbay.png

Yep, as you can see I screwed the cut to the right of the picture above and I will have to add a bit. Yet that bay is much easier to insert than the other one.
So maybe it wasn't a bad idea in the first place :)

Kfir_26_maingearbay.png

Some more work will be done at later stage. I may add  a few missing tubes but as I do not have the Isracast gear I first need to see how I am going to attach the gear factor or the kit's gear in there first.

The challenge the main gear bay presented was to actually glue them in the wing and make sure they matched the holes on the fuselage part. As you mate the wings (and the gear bays) at later stage. Proper alignement as you glue them in the wings is critical. One side is better than the other in the result :)

Edited by red Dog

hi

good job on this uneasy conversion , I remember my F 21 conversion .. a lot of work ...:BANGHEAD2: if you allow me one remark !!?? the Colombian C10 has the gear legs painted in white ... so we can suppose that the wheel wells are white ...too :hmmm:( i don't want to mess up your build  ) ....good job so far , keep on , very interesting thread 

Alain 

don't forget the red light on the vertical fin leading edge ;)

Edited by alain11

Thanks Alain,

I have Indeed picture of legs for the colombian, that's the easy part. I agree they are white, or maybe very pale gray as I do have some closups of the gears when they were at Redflag.

for the gear bay I'm 60% with you. My realist side of me agrees that you are right. My artistic side is currently fighting my realism side on that matter :)

Dunno who will win yet but polls currently give the artistic side winning although 20 points behind…

I won't forget the red light on the tail, I usually paint these rather than use transparent parts. Same for the wing lights so I will tackle all these at the same time at later stages of the build.

But good spot, I should at least engrave it

Thanks

Next on the list is the cockpit

Didn't really want to start this as I don't really know if I'll put a pilot in there and I still need to make a completely new IP.

Yet I want to close the fuselage so I need to get this done at least in a basic way to enclose it and keep working on the fuselage groundwork

Kfir_27_cockpit.png

Basic painting. I had a weird reaction on the floor. Figured I needed to correct this and then I decided to leave it and work it a bit more as part of weathering.

It will be dark in there anyway

Kfir_28_cockpit.png

Micro painting.

The seat is a weird thing but If I need to place a pilot I'll have to strip the belts anyway... It's obviously not complete

Kfir_29_cockpit.png

More weathering. Still debating with that floor but as I said it will be dark and most probably covered with the leg of the pilot

More detailling needed but I have reached the basic work I wanted to be able to enclose it and keep sanding the resin :)