Colombia Kfir C10 Revell+Isracast

red Dog

Thank you Alain, but I'm not there yet. I still have the windshield to modify and this will rather be the deciding factor if this one makes it.

In the meantime I unmasked the wings, it's always a great moment to discover the effect. 
There's a huge contrast between flat grey and bright red, this will be toned down with the next gloss coat. 
I still need to further work on some panel lines. 

Kfir_102_paint.png

I had my first masking marathon :)

Spent a whole day at the bench just painting the Colombian roundels, flags, serials and some larger stencils on the KFIR.

It was well worth it:

Kfir_105_mask.png

Kfir_111_mask.png

The Colombia roundels were by far the hardest to paint. 
I started with a white circle, then protected the centre star and painted yellow.

Then reapplied all masks except the centre star and removed the blue masks and painted blue. Then covered the blue and removed the red and painted the red parts.

Kfir_106_mask.png

Kfir_107_mask.png

Kfir_108_mask.png

Kfir_109_mask.png

Kfir_110_mask.png

The smaller stencils I could cut with the cameo 4 were the "no pise" markings. 
Masks were placed, sprayed with white then with red.

After that the serials were a joke to do :) and the cherry on top of the cake was the KFIR logo. the COA was too small to be cut correctly and will be added with homemade decals later on.

Great day at the bench but my eyes are bleeding.

After an overall coat of X-22 I couldn't resit long to see if the masks matched the decals.

A combined use of masks and homemade decal was the only solution for the squadron patch on the tail.

- the Silhouette couldn't cope with the fine details of the patch 

- the homemade decals don't print white and usually applying lighter coloured decals on a dark fuselage colour doesn't work so well.

So the sqn patch shape was cut in the silhouette and applied on the tail after a white coat.

Kfir_112_decals.png

The sqn patch was then made and printed on transparent inkjet decal paper - and after a light coat of X-22 again was applied to the model:

Kfir_113_decals.png

The macro photography makes the white overtake worse than it is, it's barely visible with the naked eye.  

• 3 weeks later...

I received some more goodies that will allow me to press towards the finish line:

Kfir_114_goodies.png

The Spice 1000 from Isracast and some airscale cockpit dials for the C10 cockpit conversion. 

No kit (or aftermarket) was started so quickly after receiving it and I immediately started the Spice as it was the last bit I missed for the weapon load. 

The gliding bomb comes smartly in 4 pieces +2 PE wings. detail is crisp and assembly can't go wrong with a perfectly staright and aligned (long) weapon) 

Tail unit

bomb body

nose unit

optics in transparent resin.

2 wings in PE

Each piece is inserted into the next one with a smart alignement notch and in my eagerness to assemble it I almost missed the fact that even the transparent optic part has the alignement, so think before cutting is something I should never forget :) 

Kfir_115_Spice.png

The parts layout make also for easy painting

Kfir_116_Spice.png

The only remark I could make is that the wings details have been mirrored so unless I screwed up I always ended up with the wing attachement point one different side  where they should both be on the same side: bottom.
So i quickly fixed this with a bit of plasticard. Not that it matters quite much. 

All stores are now completed after a gloss coat, decaling, gloss coat, weathering and then a semi flat coat of varnish:

Kfir_118_Weapons_config.png 

Kfir_117_Weapons_config.png

On to the cockpit conversion now...

Thanks for looking

Edited by red Dog

This is just so nice to watch as it comes together. Fantastic job. Just like all of the other high level work on this site, once again I marvel at the transformation from built and unpainted to painted and weathered. It is so interesting to see the process I don't ever seem to get tired of it. 

Very nice.

Thank you very much Greg, how's your AF-1 doing :) .

Work on the IP started:

Kfir_119_IP.png

All details from the Isracast IP have been sanded flat, the glareshield removed - a new one will be shaped later on.
Airscale bits were chosen and glued on 0.3mm plasticard, the center column holding the UFC has been reshaped and airscale panels close enough to the Kfir panel have been selected.

Edited by red Dog

On 11/9/2020 at 4:28 AM, red Dog said:

Thank you very much Greg, how's your AF-1 doing :) .

Work on the IP started:

Kfir_119_IP.png

All details from the Isracast IP have been sanded flat, the glareshield removed - a new one will be shaped later on.
Airscale bits were chosen and glued on 0.3mm plasticard, the center column holding the UFC has been reshaped and airscale panels close enough to the Kfir panel have been selected.

The AF-1 has been calling out to me but is behind two other projects in the queue. One thing that got me excited about it again is the new Duke Hawkins book. Frustratingly, the U.S. release date has been pushed back until January 7th. Pre-ordered it and waiting!

Great start on the IP. 

Edited by GDW

On 11/10/2020 at 6:44 PM, GDW said:

How about showing us some more pictures of the ejection seat? Is that available as a stand alone item or was it only released with the OOP Isracast set?

The Mk6 is supplied in the Isracast set but it's an imbroglio of harnesses and belts all over the place.

Initially I'd guess that the modernized Kfir COA, like the C7 would have been upgraded with Mk10 bang seat but closer study of the pictures revealed that the KFIR C10 retained the old Mk6 ejection seats.

Real_cockpit.jpg

Here's picture of the isracast rendition in the C2 kit, I think the C7 kit has the Mk10

Kfir_28_cockpit.png

The belts and these cushions will be removed as I need to fit the Academy Sufa pilot in there. I'll post pictures soon as I'm currently working on the cockpit

Edited by red Dog