Colombia Kfir C10 Revell+Isracast

red Dog

29 minutes ago, red Dog said:

I doubt it blackbetty. At least not from Isracast.

When I bought mine years ago there was only a few set left and no gear leg casting anyway. I accepted to get one with no gear legs 

I guess some might pop on the second hand market or you may consider waiting till ScaleWorx resin comes up with a standard KFIR conversion for the more modern Italeri Mirage III kit.

I'll certainly buy another one (this time an IAF - promise) when that happens

What do you think of the CAM C-7 conversion?

personnally? 

I'd avoid it. From what I have seen before researching this project, the CAM kit is far from being complete and accurate.
It also seems very undersized, especially the nose section.

The old revell model is already not an easy model, Add a not so good resin conversion to go along and you might get 95% of chances to shelf that project.

You have less chance of failure with a good resin kit like Isracast (and yet the dogtooth are wrong) 

in the future, the couple Italeri/scaleworx will certainly be much better than what I am doing here

imho

a while ago , I made a quick check to see how the isracast C7 nose cone would fit on the Italieri Mirage III and , after all , it wasn't so bad ,maybe,  it could  worth to make deeper tests fit ......:hmmm:

Alain

Edited by alain11

12 hours ago, alain11 said:

a while ago , I made a quick check to see how the isracast C7 nose cone would fit on the Italieri Mirage III and , after all , it wasn't so bad ,maybe,  it could  worth to make deeper tests fit ......:hmmm:

Alain

Alain, the Isracast nose diameter is too small for the Italeri kit, especially in height. The nose is a few millimetres too long, and the lacks the curve on top. Luckily this means that there is enough material to sand it to shape. 

Cheers, John

hi

first , sorry if I spoil your thread :wacko:

John you are right ( I know that you know the subject like the back of your hand ) ... too small in height , ! yes , we can see it lacks a little bit of   the " step" beneath the nose . too long ? I don't know .... but once we have all the infos I think things can be done ...............we count on you ;)

here is a rough test , I removed the " lip " at the fuselage tip to get the best join .......

Alain

img_2210.jpg

from the top 

img_2211.jpg

Edited by alain11

• 2 weeks later...

As you can see from the lack of updates, I stalled a bit because I messed up.

More on that later

The wing were attached:

Kfir_67_wings.png

Kfir_65_wings.png

Sound easy but it was not but I'm glad that is done.

Now something was itching me as I was working on the nose but I wasn'table to see it until the nose was glued on the model.
Once it was attached and sanded I saw it immediately, it is too short and it misses something.

All pieces felt into place and I knew that the itch that was bothering me was the nose sensors I reproduced not bieng glued at the right place on the nose:

They are right under the nose tab and they should be placed more to the rear of the nose section

Kfir_68_nose.png

Kfir_63_nose.png 

Sure enough I forgot a  nose section, clearly seen in the above picture in lighter yellow. It's about 12mm in 1/32

That was dumb :)

I will solve it, but I am very concerned I might crook the nose with a weird angle. I never mastered the technique to make two cuts perfectly parallel :)

adding a nose section perfectly straight will not be as easy as I whish it were. 

The good news is that I already found a donor of about the same diameter (which is not a perfect circle) in the form of what I think is an old 1/32 Mig-29 centreline fuel tank

10 hours ago, red Dog said:

I will solve it, but I am very concerned I might crook the nose with a weird angle. I never mastered the technique to make two cuts perfectly parallel :)

adding a nose section perfectly straight will not be as easy as I whish it were. 

The good news is that I already found a donor of about the same diameter (which is not a perfect circle) in the form of what I think is an old 1/32 Mig-29 centreline fuel tank

I think you're doing an excellent job on a tough kit (scribing...I still haven't mastered that art myself...) and a challenging conversion :)

hi

I even didn't notice this " extend" :doh:............ if ...I say if..... I had to trust in the " wingman models" C 10 conversion set ( at the 1/48 though ), the .. " plug " should be 10,5 mm at the 1/32 scale ..... do whatever you want ....................;)

Alain

I'm sure Nick anticipated me screwing the nose up because he sent spares copies of the nose. Thank you Nick, that made it easier.

Kfir_69_nose.png

One of the spare noses received the MIG-29 tank insert which was opened to accomodate the nose shape

Luckily the original nose came out clean of the fuselage:

Kfir_70_nose.png

And the new one in the process of being attached to the fuselage:

Kfir_71_nose.png