Boulton Paul Mk.1

Rick Griewski

Oh My!   I just stumbled over this interior detail set from HPM models. Scratch building not needed. 

https://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-boulton-paul-defiant-detail-set-accessories-1-32/

not a bad price but will it get to my house in time to use it?  I will explore.  

On 9/15/2020 at 7:30 PM, Rick Griewski said:

Oh My!   I just stumbled over this interior detail set from HPM models. Scratch building not needed. 

https://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-boulton-paul-defiant-detail-set-accessories-1-32/

not a bad price but will it get to my house in time to use it?  I will explore.  

It's for a VAC. Will it fit the resin kit ?

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

It's for a VAC. Will it fit the resin kit ?

Good point Erwin. It will be .030 to .040 inch too large in places.  I have decided to go ahead with my original plan to augment the kit’s OOB cockpit.  It fits well but is too shallow (the top of the wing should show) and needs more detail overall

Rick. 

• 4 weeks later...

Next up was the fuselage work.  I built and installed a tray for the movable fairing behind the turret. The fairing will be shown in the down position.  I then created a frame for the fairing to later support Apoxie Scupt.   The kit was hacked and sanded so that the fairing and the turret will match up at the correct level.  Over all the turret support in the fuselage was lowered about 0.60".  More on that later.

pmMmXuxAj

Note that the cross section should be flatter behind the turret and especially in front of the fin.  I will adjust it in front of the fin a bit later and hide some of it with the shape of the fairing, but I am stuck with most of the error.   The tray to hold the sculpted fairing is installed next photo.

poGH3ZOGj

The ID models vac turret is very nice and clear.  Note that I start seeing other problems. The turret's front support ring is too high, the shelf behind the very out of scale armor plate is not accurate.  Mysterious box that may be relevant but is unknown to me right now.

pnEoUfGDj

The ID models turret clear part seemed a bit short so not compatible with the kit's turret platform. The kit part is a bit short too.  So for grins and off on another tangent I put the thing together with the gun framework.  It is too short.  A prototype height corrector ring is shown with it.

pmNPhE0ij

With more modifications to the turret pending so I can look into the gunners area to lower areas I planned for goofs.  I can replace it by winding plastic around a socket.

pos5g4BHj

pnjOKjdQj

Spent mucho time correcting the fuselage relationship to the wing.  The left side wing root was adjusted to make it perpendicular to the wing.  That achieved and with much "Snoopy Dancing".  

pnLTDGDdj

Then I noticed that the trailing edge fillet became too low.  Easy fix after I correct the other 2 problems and do some gap filling etc.

Left side

pnb9c4jcj

Right Side

pnD9SZKsj

Fill the gap under the tail plane.

poTuiGHZj

Next up for some first round of corrections. First the out of box cockpit.  It looks to be the correct width and length.  I fits quite well in the fuselage at the correct front to back position.  The floor is too high and there is a bit of the area behind the bulkhead that can be seen when looking into the cockpit on the real airplane. The bulkhead will be rebuilt.

pn10vMx9j

The detail is quite soft.  The corrugation is too rough.  The model train supplies come to the rescue.

pnYwrS5Sj

pnfMfwdzj

This platform was made from corrugated metal.  The control piston for the front turret faring is located here.  The box is a question.

pmqdAco9j

The canopy opening in the fuselage is a bit too wide and will be adjusted to fit the vac canopy

pnIGQEe4j

The ID Models canopy is too large for this kit.  I will have play it safe and make a master of the kit part so I can make new kit canopy if I need it.

pnqJuEz1j

The plaster pattern will come in handy.  The ID vac canopy is too large.  I does not look "slab sided" enough for me.

pnwxLcKzj

Edited by Rick Griewski