1/32 Tamiya F-15E Strike Eagle

Squizzy 78

I've been needing a fresh start, so here it is, my F-15 E, with as much aftermarket gear as I could find! There's still a few things to get, but I have most of it, so I'm making a start.

50200262348_0b6a3ed3be_b.jpg

As you can see I've got the Eduard photo etch, an Avionix cockpit, some resin gear from GT resin, a set of sidewinders from Zactomodels, aim 120's still to come,  decals from Speed Hunter Graphics and the exhausts from KA models. The exhausts are next level, expensive, but having got them, they'll be a must have for every F-15 I build from now on. They just need a good paint job, guess we'll see what I can do, please let me know if there's anything different about painting 3D printed pieces to resin pieces.

50201134517_97feab90b7_b.jpg

The jet I'll be building is 89-0487 from the 335th Fighter squadron 4th Fighter wing, which was the first F-15 E to reach 10,000 flight hours and has a air to air kill of an Iraqi helicopter in Desert storm in 1991, but the markings on the jet are from 2012.

50201090957_5833629f9a_b.jpg

Also I've used the resin intakes before, but I didn't really like them, so I ordered a spare sprue from the Tamiya supplier, and I've cut down the rear section of the intakes and made them seamless, in the same fashion as the resin ones, and I'll use the kit pieces for the front of the intake. I hope to have these done over the next week.

50200273073_9d5433b7a0_b.jpg

I'm wanting to make this Eagle as detailed and accurate as possible, so if any experts on the jet see things I've done wrong, or poorly, (there will be a lot), please let me know.

Thanks for looking!

Looks like you are loaded for bear!  I wish the KA exhausts were available when I built my F-15C, because they look awesome.  I have a build thread here that might be helpful, which documents several corrections I made that you might be interested in:

Tamiya F-15C Build Thread

Thankfully, many of my corrections were to correct the kit parts to a “C” from an “E”, which you don’t have to do.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks for the interest in this build.

8 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Looks like you are loaded for bear!  I wish the KA exhausts were available when I built my F-15C, because they look awesome.  I have a build thread here that might be helpful, which documents several corrections I made that you might be interested in:

Tamiya F-15C Build Thread

Thankfully, many of my corrections were to correct the kit parts to a “C” from an “E”, which you don’t have to do.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck I’ve been going through your build thread for the last few weeks, the information you put in your threads is awesome, also I’m wrapped you put the link in, it’ll be very quick and easy for me to search on your build, thanks!

8 hours ago, markiii said:

Nice, I'll be following.

My former neighbor was a crew chief on SN 89-0476 "Creeping Death" during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Built a model of his plane for him.

Mark you must have access to a wealth of reference material from you neighbour. I couldn’t imagine putting that amount of work in to a 1/32 kit and give it away! Being he was a crew chief, no doubt he appreciates it though!

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately this build hit a big snag, I was wanting to start with the cockpit , being the Avionix set. Most of the parts were unusable being badly damaged in the box, others were like there wasn't enough resin poured into the mold. I ordered another set and got started with cleaning the cockpit sides ready for the new pit. The second set was the same! Unusable!

I needed a new plan, so going back through this thread, Chuck has attached his build of he's awesome F-15c aggressor, there's the inspiration to keep going. I've got a F-15c in the stash, and most of the aftermarket gear I have will go straight on a c model, I just need another new cockpit.  

Not being too eager to purchase another Avionix set, I ordered the Aires set, and while waiting for it to arrive, I got into the lower fuselage and intakes.

50565438837_e5de559803_b.jpg

The vents are from the GT resin set and the vent tubes the come out behind the main wheel wells have been replaced with copper wire glued in from the other side, no need to worry about breaking them off!

50564554623_2bb2d770b4_b.jpg

The front half of the intakes have been glued in on steps to create a seamless intake, and you can see the copper drains glued in here.

50565438857_31e2562784_b.jpg

The intakes have worked out as I was hoping, and the white tubes on the side there are to create depth for some type of vent or air inlet on the underside.

50565438852_4f05db1bf4_b.jpg

Here you can see the air vent, and the copper drains. There's still a few more things to be done, but all panel lines have been rescribed and all rivets punched, and with an older kit, it does need a good sand to get the surface to a decent finish which was done.

Hopefully I'll be onto the cockpit within a week or so, and the next update won't be too far away with a painted cockpit.

Thanks for looking.

• 2 years later...