Thud Pilots

It is a great show isn't it?! Watch Hun pilots too!  The bit about flight testing the sidewinder for the Navy will leave you speechless...

On a side note, used to fly with Vic Vizcarra's son. A great family. They're all retired now. Ones a musician and the other son is making these movies (and winning awards). I can't say enough great things about them. Also recommend Vic's books (same titles). Great / easy reads, especially if you're interested in Vietnam era aviation.

-Peter

Currently watching another one on Amazon. I’m pretty sure it’s the same crew that made Thud Pilots. This one is Hun Pilots. Quite eye opening really. Despite having a soft spot for the F-100 but not really up on it’s early history and issues. Still not brave enough to tackle the Trumpeter kit though. 

12 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

I totally forgot to mention they’re making one about the Tomcat too! Both brothers flew the F-14 while in the navy. Looks to be an equally good one. No idea on the release date though.

This isn’t Speed and Angels is it?  I saw it listed on Amazon Prime when I was searching for the Hun Pilots doc today.

Loved the part in Hun Pilots about the Misty missions and the pilots introduction to the mission where he was taken with an experienced pilot who intentionally went out to get shot at to show the new guy what different calibers of AAA looked and sounded like when coming at you. 

Edited by ade rowlands

4 hours ago, easixpedro said:

I totally forgot to mention they’re making one about the Tomcat too! Both brothers flew the F-14 while in the navy. Looks to be an equally good one. No idea on the release date though.

Thanks. Will keep a look out for them. I think they make top notch documentaries because they have experience in the aviation field. An interest in the subject matter by the makers always helps. 

8 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Loved the part in Hun Pilots about the Misty missions and the pilots introduction to the mission where he was taken with an experienced pilot who intentionally went out to get shot at to show the new guy what different calibers of AAA looked and sounded like when coming at you. 

Yes that was a good laugh too