Scale model maps

daveoh

Hello fellow large scale modellers, I'm building a hobbyboss 1/18 harrier. And I'm after putting a map in the windscreen. I've looked on the internet for a model map but I'm struggling to find any. Also my printer isn't playing ball while I try to print one. I'm thinking surely some model company does maps in various scales for diorama's. As I'm in the UK I'm not really wanting to buy abroad. Any help much appreciated. 

Quite simple: Do it yourself! 

Save a navigation map from the web (e. g. http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/onc/middle_east.html). Insert it in a Word page, re-dimension it and print it. Done! 

It is not even required finding one from one specific area as when folded, any map will look ok as far as the type is ok. 

Hth

Thierry 

As Thierry says, very easy to print your own. I did the same for my 1/24 Mustang, searching online I was able to find an air navigation map from the 1950s that worked perfectly. Just resize it, print it on a colour printer/copier, and cut it out. Make sure you fold it properly when you tuck it away. ;)

Richard

Yes, they are still available.  I keep a couple (because I live in an area on edge of two charts) in both my planes Piper J-3 and Van’s RV-4.  Occasionally the electronics quit or GPS signal is disrupted.  For actual inflight use, I typically use my iPhone or a dedicated iPad Mini.  I also keep a paper Memphis Terminal Area chart (TAC) handy because of the large scale is frequently quicker and easier to grab and use tha paging through the electronic gizmo.   

I will admit, the moving map on dedicated GPS and iPad makes navigation easy...and can make one lazy.  Sometimes practicing old school pilotage and visual navigation is good to stay in practice.  

• 3 weeks later...

Seems I ran across a few, but that was 10-15 years ago.......I'll see if I can find them to get suppliers name.........

In the mean time, here's what I've used..........Go to cigarette counter at grocery store, or a Walmart gas pump station, etc, etc,  check local stop n shop...anywhere the sell cigarettes. Look for/ask for roll your own cig ""Papers""....Very thin white paper.....you can draw your map on it color them.....you can make them look pretty convincing

On 8/8/2020 at 5:31 PM, JimRice said:

I have several old aeronautical charts ranging from 40-60s and several expired recent sectionals. They are all Central US.   I can take some photos you could reduce and print if you like.  

Along with the color sectional chart,  can you send a pic of an approach plate too? 

Please?

Thanks

Tim

On 8/7/2020 at 2:23 PM, daveoh said:

Hello fellow large scale modellers, I'm building a hobbyboss 1/18 harrier. And I'm after putting a map in the windscreen. I've looked on the internet for a model map but I'm struggling to find any. Also my printer isn't playing ball while I try to print one. I'm thinking surely some model company does maps in various scales for diorama's. As I'm in the UK I'm not really wanting to buy abroad. Any help much appreciated. 

https://duplicata-productions.myshopify.com/collections/toys-hobbies-models-kits-military-armour

They make maps in a variety of scales. I purchased a couple sets of these a while back for a 1/48 project and was quite please with the results. 

Here are three sectionals.  You can see the difference between the three.  I thought I had some current ones now my truck but must have put them in the hangar.  Memphis airspace is vastly different than fifty years ago. 

Memphis 1969

19Y40X.jpg

a5tmhw.jpg

cQrZ4K.jpg

Little Rock 1966

zPmFCy.jpg

APYpVB.jpg

Little Rock 1943

t7g8xt.jpg

RqNTw7.jpg

3XPj0j.jpg