Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-232 Red Devils *Finished*

AlbertD

Knowing what I know from my training, you wouldn't of wanted to be within a couple of miles of that. The picture looks like it was taken from a distance that fragments could do serious damage and the blast wave could knock you off your feet.  We had a training film where they intentionally set off I think it was 6 million lbs. of TNT  equivalent. They told us of an incident where a ship blew up and the anchor ended up 1.5 miles away. It was an empty grain ship and the dust flashed off. 

I've been getting some paint sprayed. I decided to try black basing again even though I'm not sure I was happy with the last try. There is definitely a fine line between looking like squiggles under the paint and worn, faded paint. It doesn't take much to loose the effect or make it look totally fake. I still need to let it dry well before I give it a close look but it seems to look ok to me. It's hard to see the effect in the pictures. I think it will be a good base for weathering down the road. Please feel free to be honest if it looks off to you. I'm still learning. Oh, and I love these MRP paints.

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

Albert, I have to say I honestly do like it mate.  From what I can see it looks spot on, on my screen.  I know what you mean, there is a fine line to getting it look right...you seem to have got that.  One thing you will like about black basing is that if you need to go over and touch up areas, thenew paint blends nicely into the marbled effect.  Whereas I have fount a solid even colour seems to show the touch up more.

Great job buddy, keep it up!  You are inspiring me!

49 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Albert, I have to say I honestly do like it mate.  From what I can see it looks spot on, on my screen.  I know what you mean, there is a fine line to getting it look right...you seem to have got that.  One thing you will like about black basing is that if you need to go over and touch up areas, thenew paint blends nicely into the marbled effect.  Whereas I have fount a solid even colour seems to show the touch up more.

Great job buddy, keep it up!  You are inspiring me!

Thanks Anthony, it's good to have a critical eye look at it. I gave it a close look and see a couple of places that need a bit of repair but it should be easy enough. I also forgot to paint the inner control surfaces on the upper wings white. That should not be a big problem but would have been better to paint them and mask before the grey.

Just read through this thread - very impressive work!  I have added an F-4E to my stash for next year, so I’ll be back to this and other Phantom threads for ideas when I get started on it.  That will be a big departure for me - first try at a jet fighter for the committed WW2 guy...

40 minutes ago, Alex said:

Just read through this thread - very impressive work!  I have added an F-4E to my stash for next year, so I’ll be back to this and other Phantom threads for ideas when I get started on it.  That will be a big departure for me - first try at a jet fighter for the committed WW2 guy...

Thank you Alex. That means a lot coming from you after following your Zero. I enjoy jets but have been building from WW I to modern. Mostly 48 scale. This is my first LS jet. The F-4E will be a fun project and I'll be looking forward to it.

7 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Thank you Alex. That means a lot coming from you after following your Zero. I enjoy jets but have been building from WW I to modern. Mostly 48 scale. This is my first LS jet. The F-4E will be a fun project and I'll be looking forward to it.

Yes my F-4 will be 1:48 scale as well - that's a big enough model as it is with an aircraft of that size.  I pre-ordered the new Zoukei-Mura F-4E that is just about to be released.  High hopes for that.  It will get built as a Hellenic Air Force "40th Anniversary of the F-4" scheme.

Hi Albert,

It looks nice to me, the tail shows the effect the most I think. Although I usually preshade everything, maybe a bad habit hard to break but I like the effect, this looks very delicate. 

Rick

Edited by vvwse4

I bit more painting and unmasking to show. I guess overall it's looking pretty OK. Maybe it will improve as it goes along. They usually do. I definitely overdid the chipping around the cockpit sill. I used masking fluid but I'll have to re-paint it. Maybe just some light drybrushing would have been better.

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

On 9/11/2020 at 12:08 AM, AlbertD said:

I've noticed the tails always look cleaner and darker. I'll try to replicate that. I imagine the bodies were staged out in the weather and would have dust and water stains from SEA rain. This project is turning into the most modeling fun I have ever had. I have learned a lot of both history and modeling skills.

I went through the same process on my F4U-1D build.   I used to hate painting bombs and typically just shot them with whatever green I had kicking around.  On this build, I finally ended up trying to replicate the way they really looked and turned building / painting the bomb into a mini-project by itself. Can't see the arming wire and stencils but they are there!   Quite a bit of fun.     

IMG_0452

Keep up the great work on your Phantom, I'll be following right along.  

John

On 9/4/2020 at 1:13 AM, Finn said:

Albert these are F-4Bs but they should give you an idea how dirty they got:

F-4B, Good Morning, Da Nand

Click on the pic to see the rest of the pics.

Jari

There are some great pictures on that link Jari.     Albert, if you are up for the challenge, you could add this pilot to your project.   I really love the sleeveless flight suit look!

F-4B, Good Morning Da Nang

I think this is the look I'm after or maybe just a bit dirtier. It will be my first time doing this type of weathering. My plan is to do a little post shading with slightly darker and very thinned base color shades then a bit of highlighting with lighter shades and a medium to dark grey panel wash. Just enough for it to show without being too stark. If you guys can provide any guidance it would be much appreciated. I will look at oil dot weathering too to give it some color variation after applying decals.

f4phantomjetpreparingtotakeoff.png

Edited by AlbertD

Hi Albert,

I've fixed your image link, which didn't work because it was using bbCode - this is no longer supported with the new forum upgrade. I've left the original bbCode link in your post so you can see what I'm talking about.

Kev