Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-232 Red Devils *Finished*

AlbertD

9 hours ago, AlbertD said:

I just ordered the Daco F-4 book. It's better late than never I guess. I understand it's a great book and worth having. It's been a few days since I've been able to work on my build but should have an update soon. 

That is a very nice book you will use that a lot!

On 8/6/2020 at 2:56 PM, AlbertD said:

I will be adding a bunch of aftermarket goodies and using the loadout guide from the AOA decals website for guidance. I can't find a photo of my proposed loadout but I trust AOA has done good research and it's accurate.

Bit late to your original post, but here is 232 in 1972:

232.jpg

1 hour ago, ziggyfoos said:

Bit late to your original post, but here is 232 in 1972:

232.jpg

Not late at all, the timing is perfect. Thank you. This is exactly how I'm planning my loadout except I have Mk 82 High Drag bombs. Would you happen to have the whole picture that I could use as a weathering guide?

I'm in the process of getting my ordnance, pylons and fuel tank ready. I'm putting the decals on now. The mounting of the centerline fuel tank is a bit weak. That will definitely need to be improved but it should be an easy fix. I will have a real update soon. I have a bit of body work to do before a primer job. I'm still tossing around the idea of black basing or just good old pre-shading. I'm still learning to do convincing weathering and I really want to do this one right.

1 hour ago, Finn said:

Albert these are F-4Bs but they should give you an idea how dirty they got:

F-4B, Good Morning, Da Nand

Click on the pic to see the rest of the pics.

Jari

This is a wealth of information Jari. It's going to be a fun challenge to weather such a big model. I'm looking forward to getting to that point. 

I have not updated in a little while but I've been working on some of the little stuff. I have the pylons and weapons painted, decaled and clear coated and have started priming. I'll update again when I have something worth posting. In the meantime here are some progress pictures. That fuselage is sure taking a bunch of primer. Definitely need the respirator and and paint booth spraying that much Mr. Surfacer.

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

55 minutes ago, Finn said:

Good work on the ordnance but a couple of things, the Marines didn't get thermally protected bombs, the Navy had priority so the bomb should only have one yellow stripe. Also I'm curious what the red is on the back of the Zuni pod, here is what they looked like:

Sherald Takahasi Loads a Rocket Pod, 4 September 1968 Ralph Rinaldi Conducts and Electrical Check, 4 September 1968

Jari

I didn't know that about the yellow stripes on the bombs. I will have to decide if I want to go back and change them. Maybe I should just get a couple more sets and put these aside for another build.

The red on the Zuni Pods was an option in the Eduard set. I don't know what they are for but thought it would add color. Under the red PE disk they look just like your picture. I'll see if I can pop them off without too much damage.