Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-232 Red Devils *Finished*

AlbertD

3 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Nice!!!!

Funny to see that we both used the same way to get the angle of 12.5 degrees right. The only difference is that I filled the underside.

Great show!!

Rick

Great minds think alike. Thanks Rick.

I have a question for you guys with Phantom knowledge. I'm doing mine loaded with weapons which asumes it's ready to leave on a mission. What would be open or deployed in this condition? After looking at photos all I can usually see down are the flaps. The air brakes would be up of course but what about the auxiliary air intakes?

A real quick update on the build. I decided to work on the resin MER's and TER's just to do something different for a couple of days. The TER's went together great and I have drilled them and the Zuni Pods to attach them together with small brass rod. I'll work on the MER's tomorrow but wanted to show you guys a little comparison. I was browsing Ebay and saw the set of MER's from Ozmod's Scale Models so I bought them for the heck of it. You can see them compared to the Eduard one. The spacing between ordnance mounting point is a bit larger. I plan to still modify the Eduard parts because they have way more detail and it should be a pretty easy mod. BTW, I'm going to try to pick up my canopy in the next 2 weeks. It will be good to see my friend too.

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

29 minutes ago, Finn said:

Nice work Albert on the TERs, one thing to note, the rocket pods had a cable/harness hooked up to the pod and rack in order to fire the rockets. Item 9 in this manual

https://www.docdroid.com/AgiGpxf/douglas-a-4-and-ta-4-tactical-pocket-guide-pdf#page=46

Jari

Thanks Jari, I will make sure to look at all the fine details before I commit to paint.

On 8/8/2020 at 8:28 PM, Finn said:

Here is a side view of a MER on a A-6:

grumman_a-6_intruder_walkaround_151782_m

showing how much room there is between the bombs. To further muddy the waters, on the F-4 the MER was moved either forward or aft depending on what was loaded on it, the Ordnanceman manual has the info on pg7 of the reader (pg 10-11 of the manual). That is why the MER has all those holes on top to move the lugs and pads as needed.

Edit: also on pg 40 (76 - 77) of the manual the fwd and aft positioning of the MER on the outboard  pylon is shown.

Jari

Jari and whoever might benefit from this info, here is how the Mk 82's space on the Eduard MER with 6 scale inches added. The bombs are just pinned in without glue right now. It looks ok to my eye.

IMG_0713.jpg

Al