Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-232 Red Devils *Finished*

AlbertD

This will be my first build log. This will by far be the biggest and most involved build I have ever done. There will be a lot of firsts for me and probably plenty of mistakes. I will probably asking a lot of questions. Maybe my questions will help others too.

I will be adding a bunch of aftermarket goodies and using the loadout guide from the AOA decals website for guidance. I can't find a photo of my proposed loadout but I trust AOA has done good research and it's accurate. I just finished a 1/48 Hobby Boss A-6E for the sole purpose of trying black basing under the light gull grey scheme and was not all that happy with the results. For this I think I'll use tried and true pre-shading for the basic painting.

So far all I've done is remove the raised panels on the fuselage. Re-scribing and riveting will be one of those firsts I was talking about. Please feel free to comment, poke fun or criticize. Thanks for taking a look.

Here are the obligatory pictures.

2020-08-06-10-47-11.jpg

2020-08-06-10-48-16.jpg

2020-08-06-10-48-50.jpg

2020-08-06-10-49-06.jpg

2020-08-06-10-49-37.jpg

2020-08-06-10-50-09.jpg

2020-08-06-10-51-02.jpg

2020-08-06-11-00-11.jpg

2020-08-06-10-52-18.jpg

Edited by AlbertD

1 hour ago, Squizzy said:

That’s a mountain of aftermarket gear for a great looking jet! I’ll be following this build for sure :popcorn:

I've been picking up stuff here and there for the last few months for this build. I didn't realize how much I had until I got it all on the bench this morning. I hope I can do it justice.

I have a question about references for panel lines. I have sanded off the raised panels and started on scribing panel lines. So far I have only done a couple and wanted to ask about my reference before I go too far. I am using the line drawings out of the Detail & Scale book for Navy and Marine Phantoms. I also have a couple that I printed off the internet but there are differences. Is the D & S book ok or can you recommend a better source.

Thanks

references.jpg

references-1.jpg

Albert, I totally know what you mean!

I have had to fix a few mistakes already, by relying on drawings for my FGR build. 

My best advice is to look at drawings then stare at photo's to confirm what the drawing says.  That's what I am doing anyway.

Keep up the great work, the fuse has smoothed out nicely!

Some useful info may be found in these manuals:

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2017/07/f-4bj-plane-captains-handbook.html

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2017/07/f-4bj-ordnancemans-handbook.html

also it has been noted that the Eduard MERs are about 1 scale foot too short, so short that you can't put all the Eduard Snakeyes on them without adding a spacer to the MER.

Jari

35 minutes ago, Finn said:

Some useful info may be found in these manuals:

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2017/07/f-4bj-plane-captains-handbook.html

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2017/07/f-4bj-ordnancemans-handbook.html

also it has been noted that the Eduard MERs are about 1 scale foot too short, so short that you can't put all the Eduard Snakeyes on them without adding a spacer to the MER.

Jari

Just started downloading the references you linked. Thank you.

I didn't know about the short Eduard MER's. Good thing the set comes with 3 and I only need 2. Should be pretty easy to splice in a scale foot.

I decided to take a break from panel lines and try fitting the GT Resin seamless intakes. Once I got over cutting into a $130 kit it was really easy. The first one was a little cutting here and a little trimming there. The second one I knew where to cut and it took all of 15 minutes. They are only taped on in the pictures but the fit is pretty darn good.

2020-08-07-14-51-17.jpg

2020-08-07-14-51-23.jpg

2020-08-07-14-51-30.jpg

2020-08-07-14-52-05.jpg

2020-08-07-14-52-43.jpg

Another thing to note about the MERs, when loaded on Navy/Marine F-4 outboard pylons they were canted to allow for clearance with the inboard bombs and the main gear doors:

313.jpg

the Ordnanceman manual has a drawing to show how it was done. As for the size of the MERs, this pic shows how far back the bombs on the fwd racks would be:

DN-SN-84-05225.jpeg

near that circular panel between the posts,a Mk-82 would be about the same.

Jari

3 hours ago, Finn said:

Another thing to note about the MERs, when loaded on Navy/Marine F-4 outboard pylons they were canted to allow for clearance with the inboard bombs and the main gear doors:

313.jpg

the Ordnanceman manual has a drawing to show how it was done. As for the size of the MERs, this pic shows how far back the bombs on the fwd racks would be:

DN-SN-84-05225.jpeg

near that circular panel between the posts,a Mk-82 would be about the same.

Jari

Thanks Finn, I have the ordnance manuals you linked but have not had a chance to look at them yet. That is also a great picture you posted. I think I'll work on the MER's early in the build when I feel like doing something different. 

21 hours ago, Finn said:

Jari

Jari, You are right about the length. Here is a picture with the scale and the Mk. 82's to show how they look. I can't really find a reliable length. One thing I found said they are just over 12 feet long and that's what the Eduard ones measure too. I'm confused. Please let me know if I'm seeing it wrong. By the way the manuals are fantastic. They show some amazing detail and have great information.

Thanks, Al

MER.jpg

Edited by AlbertD

2 minutes ago, Finn said:

According to Dave Roof, who worked on the real ones, said the MERS are 13' long. Here is a pic of a empty MER about to be loaded on an A-6E:

Jari

Thank you sir. Your information is a huge help. I hope it helps others too.