Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-232 Red Devils *Finished*

AlbertD

First off - your current work looks amazing and is perfectly acceptable, for a jet that maybe recently came off the wash rack or arrived in theater.   I'm a big fan of heavily weathered jets, so personally, I'd go with some heavier dark streaking on the centerline area and elsewhere.   Either way, great job.  I've seen so many F-4 models representing heavily used combat vets with immaculate, shiny white under-surfaces.  

2 minutes ago, Chek said:

It's still weird to see Photo Phantoms with slatted wings.

Totally OT but on a recent podcast I listened to, a high-time F-4 pilot went out of his way to say multiple times that the slatted F-4S was the best handling jet he ever flew (and this was a guy who went on to fly F-14's).  

I appreciate all the great input everyone. For now I'm going to clear coat the underside to protect what's there and start working on the top. I can always do touchups later but I think it's going to stay the way it is. Once the stores are on I may do a bit of tweaking but we'll see. More progress soon. 

I know I have been asking a lot of questions and opinions but this is my first time really doing anything this involved. It's been great to have all the willing support.

I don't feel like I'm getting the hang of this weathering thing at all. I wish I had practiced on something smaller and less expensive. It's oils so anything can be removed and redone. What do you guys think of this? I tried to mostly dirty up the walkways and high traffic areas. I also think that a clear coat will help blend things a little more.

IMG-0789.jpg

IMG-0790.jpg

IMG-0791.jpg

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Are you kidding me??  You sure are getting the hang of the weathering thing!

That looks superb...I seriously mean that, absolutely LOVE it.  I think you have captured the essence of an 'in service' bird perfectly.

Keep up the great work!

I appreciate the kind words. I don't want to rush getting this one done but I don't want to hit the burnout point either. I'm looking forward to getting the weapons and such on and putting the landing gear on. Then I can start on the canopies. I'm also probably going to do the other set of seats with the separate harnesses to see if they look any better. I have never worked on one model for anywhere near this long. 

25 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

Looks great to me as well!  Only suggestion is to maybe wipe the oils with the airflow a little bit more, like you've done with the rear flaps.

Cheers,

Chuck

14 minutes ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

Plus one, Albert. Looks very good! I think Chuck has a good point -you may want to just wipe it down a little more ...

Cheers,

Rockie

I'll try to do that. I was finding it was hard to not get it to look like brush strokes though. My local art supply store doesn't have a great variety of brushes right now. They have not gotten anything new in months and some of the shelves are bare.