Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-232 Red Devils *Finished*

AlbertD

On 9/24/2020 at 1:29 PM, allthumbs said:

One advantage of the Aires seats, with their separate belts and harnesses is that it give the modeler an opportunity to pose the latter more realistically. The shoulder harnesses in particular were under tension from inertial reels and therefore gathered upward. Quickboost (and others) seemed to have portrayed them as seen in pictures of removed seats that are undergoing maintenance.

That is a REALLY great point, and a definite pet peeve of mine.  Seats on display at museums, etc, cannot be used as reference, and too many aftermarket manufacturers tend to do so.  

the Aires seats are accurate only for USAF jets, though, so aren't applicable to an F-4J, even though they are included in an F-4J cockpit set.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick proof of life picture. For the last couple of weeks it's pretty much been just doing stencil decals. The bottom is done and I just started the topside today. Been having some family stuff lately so not as much time as I would like but it's at least going in the right direction.

IMG_0762.jpg

21 minutes ago, Chek said:

I'm sometimes puzzled by the 'No Push' stencils on the leading edges of Phantoms.

And the you see photos of herds of sailors manhanding the beasts into place all lined up along the front of the wings.

I don't think they're pulling.

I think they do it to train the sailors to use spray paint. I can’t think of another reason.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:30 PM, AlbertD said:

NO STEP NO STEP NO STEP NO STEP NO STEP NO ST NO NO NO NNNNNNNNOOOOooooooooo:wacko::wacko::blink:

Pfffttttt!! Do a JASDF build, THEN you can complain about stencils!! Build is looking fantastic!! Look forward to the final pics.

Don