Meng/Wingnuts Tripe

Aptivaboy

4 hours ago, petrov27 said:

A lot of talk/concern about the rib tape treatment in the DrI. Below is about the best pic I could get. Personally I prefer the DVII treatment but maybe there was difference in the tapes used between these aircraft and the more narrow tapes are accurate to the DrI - I do not know. They are somewhat more pronounced (raised) vs. the DVII (the "stitch" detail) - I think given a coat of primer and an overall light sanding/rubdown and they will be fine for me personally.

Thanks for the photos. From what I see now, I'll have no hesitation in snatching a couple of these kits.

Sorry I wasn't able to give any info. I got the package from Sprue, verified contents then went to bed. Work, work, work that's all I get done. Terribly disappointed in the instructions. Not anywhere near Wingnut quality. Call outs for the different options for the variants could be a little confusing. No information is provided as to what the differences are other than aircraft "A" uses this and aircraft"C" uses this one. Decals seem a little thick and the photoetch is really thin. One side of my cockpit combing is busted off from the wing. Definitely the Wingnut feel to the kit without the final finish they would put in it to make it a great kit. And the heavy paper sheets they included seem like a total after thought, like lets put something in the  bag we inherited to look like an instruction sheet from Wingnut.

On a side note I like it. I think it will build nice. I have another one coming.

Edited by steel_tiger

14 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Still awaiting news but Australia Post will have plenty of time to use as a football, wheel chock and a crash test dummy before delivering the remains. 

You crack me up. And don’t forget now everything is piled up waiting for transport. I cringe when I think of my kits, especially WNW, sitting under someone’s small household appliance. I’ve seen the guy pilling up his trolley from the van to the post office. God knows what happens at every other stage. 

Edited by Pup7309

On 8/16/2020 at 2:53 PM, steel_tiger said:

Sorry I wasn't able to give any info. I got the package from Sprue, verified contents then went to bed. Work, work, work that's all I get done. Terribly disappointed in the instructions. Not anywhere near Wingnut quality. Call outs for the different options for the variants could be a little confusing. No information is provided as to what the differences are other than aircraft "A" uses this and aircraft"C" uses this one. Decals seem a little thick and the photoetch is really thin. One side of my cockpit combing is busted off from the wing. Definitely the Wingnut feel to the kit without the final finish they would put in it to make it a great kit. And the heavy paper sheets they included seem like a total after thought, like lets put something in the  bag we inherited to look like an instruction sheet from Wingnut.

On a side note I like it. I think it will build nice. I have another one coming.

Yeah, the instructions are a big letdown from the WNW instructions.  They do tell you which engine/tail/aileron parts to use for the F1 (Option B), but other things like windscreens, gunsights, nose side panels, and externally mounted instruments are just listed as options with nothing telling you which, if any, are appropriate for the included decals.  Also, missing are the drawings for all of the control wires and for the few bracing wires that the Fokker did have.

Edited by Dave Williams

On 8/16/2020 at 3:02 PM, LSP_K2 said:

One thing I noticed in the video review concerning the illustrated schemes, was that no one aircraft was referred to by type; Dr.I vs F.I. No big deal, really, I just found it a bit odd.

There were only three F.1s, 101/17, 102/17, and 103/17.  101 was kept for testing.  102 and 103 were flown operationally.

38 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

Do they tell you which to remove depending upon the variant?

Not sure what you mean by “which to remove”.  The instructions break down the most (but not all of the parts) by decal option.  Although not identified as such, Decal Option B (103/17) is the only F1.  The instructions tell you to use different engine, ailerons, tail, and rudder for Option B as compared to Options A, C, and D.

ETA, if you’re asking about the two sets on nubs on the wing LEs, then the answer to that is no.  They don’t mention anything about removing them.

Edited by Dave Williams

14 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

ETA, if you’re asking about the two sets on nubs on the wing LEs, then the answer to that is no.  They don’t mention anything about removing them.

Yeah that is unfortunate, though after cleanup of the mould line on the leading edge of each wing I am just going to replace the "nub" things with a slice of round section rod or maybe a miniature rivet

Edited by petrov27

12 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Not sure what you mean by “which to remove”.  The instructions break down the most (but not all of the parts) by decal option.  Although not identified as such, Decal Option B (103/17) is the only F1.  The instructions tell you to use different engine, ailerons, tail, and rudder for Option B as compared to Options A, C, and D.

Thanks for the answer, Dave. Exactly what I wanted to know. Mine has been shipped from Lucky Model...