Meng/Wingnuts Tripe

Aptivaboy

1 hour ago, STWilliams said:

Slightly strange to see WNW quality mouding, but with three cowls in the same kit. WNW would have split them & sold 2 boxings.

A few kits have that many or more.  WnW was also planning on doing two different boxings.

I noticed a number of things as I looked at the kit and video.  There is something about it that is different from my experience with prior WNW kits.  For example the mold knockouts on the wings that need to be clipped off.  Also just some styalisatic things in the molding.  Hard to put my finger on.  As I look at the way this kit is done and my prior experience with WNW.  I am feeling that Meng were not affiliated with the kits I have had my hands on.  

There are just details in this kit, another is the attached rear tail assembly.  On every WNW kit I have done, that was a separate part.  However there are things like the way the cockpit goes in and attaches to positive locking points that re very typical of current WNW.  

I prefer that they have all the parts for the different versions in one box instead of having to buy separate boxings.  However, it’s a bit irrelevant what WNW would have done because they’re gone, and this is what we have.  I’m just glad the kit was still able to be released.

Aside from the decal sheet, they show the options when they flip through the instruction pages near the end of the video.  Speaking of the instructions, the WNW instructions will be what I miss the most.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I prefer that they have all the parts for the different versions in one box instead of having to buy separate boxings.  However, it’s a bit irrelevant what WNW would have done because they’re gone, and this is what we have.  I’m just glad the kit was still able to be released.

Aside from the decal sheet, they show the options when they flip through the instruction pages near the end of the video.  Speaking of the instructions, the WNW instructions will be what I miss the most.

From what I just saw, all relevant parts are there for both the F.I and Dr.I; two styles of ailerons, two horizontal tails, three cowling types, & three propellers. There may be other subtle differences between that the two that I'm not remembering right this minute, but those items basically cover the major differences. I like the open flare pistol, assuming I interpreted that correctly. Decals are not Cartograf, but I can live with that easily enough. I'm still not real thrilled with the wings (the video isn't as clear as it could have been, so I'm not 100% sure they're really too bad), though they can be remedied easily enough. Based on what I see here, it looks like I'll be grabbing a couple.

That looks pretty damned good tbh. Having just worked on the rather soft Roden kit, I will look forward to building some of these eventually. Even one of the decal options is tempting. And the instruction sheet, while not WNW standard maybe, is more than sufficient. Bring it on and hopefully great sales will lead to a few more WW 1 kits from Meng/Mung/Ming.

It looks pretty good. I agree it does seem like some form of hybrid between something started by WnW and finished by Meng.  Those large sprue gates and plastic bits on the wing do no look like something that would ever come from WnW's but all the interior parts do look like their engineering. Also as pointed out earlier,  having the elevators molded to the horz stab is highly unusual for a WnW kit.

Overall it does look good though.

Hate the music.... just sayin.

From the quick views of the sprues, there appears to be much to like about this kit. While I'm certainly no expert regarding this aircraft, to a 'casual' observer there seems to be something heavy-handed about the fabric/tape texture over the ribs on the upper surfaces of the wings. Perhaps it's just a 'trick of the light' from the video process. One thing is certain - I am looking forward to hearing what folks have to say once they have it in hand.

Cheers!

John.

1 hour ago, Leaning_Dog said:

From the quick views of the sprues, there appears to be much to like about this kit. While I'm certainly no expert regarding this aircraft, to a 'casual' observer there seems to be something heavy-handed about the fabric/tape texture over the ribs on the upper surfaces of the wings. Perhaps it's just a 'trick of the light' from the video process. One thing is certain - I am looking forward to hearing what folks have to say once they have it in hand.

Cheers!

John.

I have to agree regarding the wings (all three). As he rotated the sprue, the ribs seemed to cast some serious shadows, as if they're way too pronounced. I guess I'll have to wait until I have the kit to really determine what's what. If worse comes to worst, somebody out there makes some rib stitching AM. While they may not really be needed at all, I'm not sure. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

I have to agree regarding the wings (all three). As he rotated the sprue, the ribs seemed to cast some serious shadows, as if they're way too pronounced. I guess I'll have to wait until I have the kit to really determine what's what. If worse comes to worst, somebody out there makes some rib stitching AM. While they may not really be needed at all, I'm not sure. Time will tell.

This got me interested so I googled up a slew of period photos (easiest way to avoid reproductions is to add the word "jasta" to your search), and like pretty much everything else concerning WW1 subjects, you can find a wide variety of wing fluting, from quite smooth and taught to rather pronounced hollows. 

Hard to say from the vid just how deep the fluting is, but it looks well within the range of what actually flew, though toward the most pronounced end of the spectrum. Which makes sense in a way for a kit. As for rib tapes, they are hardly apparent in any photos.