Meng/Wingnuts Tripe

Aptivaboy

How do you think we on this side of the pond cope with some attempts from west of the wet to pronounce Worcestershire or Warwickshire? :D ... then again, we (well, some of us) have our own problems with Shrewsbury.

1 hour ago, AlbertD said:

I see Sprue Bro's is calling the Meng Dr.I in stock. Anyone actually have one in hand yet? I ordered from Lucky Models so probably won't have mine in hand for a few weeks.

Are they actually in stock?  The listing still says preorder.  The “Stock Status: In Stock” may just be to fake out the ordering software and allow orders to be placed.  I don’t remember if it said the same thing last week.  In any case, even if they got them in stock today, none will have been sent out and no one has one yet.

5 hours ago, Sepp said:

How do you think we on this side of the pond cope with some attempts from west of the wet to pronounce Worcestershire or Warwickshire? :D ... then again, we (well, some of us) have our own problems with Shrewsbury.

It gets even more convoluted when people use textspeak and zero punctuation or correct capitalisation. I wonder : if we went fifty years into the future would we recognise the English language or understand what people are saying?....

-what do you think?

7 hours ago, Sepp said:

Don't ever try talking about eating a scone in Shrewsbury ...

I find it kind of funny that sometimes an incorrect pronunciation used long enough by enough people often becomes the correct pronunciation. For instance, the designer of the WW2 issue "US Rifle 30 Cal M1" was John Garand, pronounced "GARRand",  sounds a bit like "errand". However, everyone mispronounced the name of the rifle so much that the rifle became known as the M1 Garand, pronounced correctly as "guh-RAND". Even Garand himself didn't correct it. Very odd, language can be, hmm?

Tim

Edited by BiggTim