White/red IAF TA-4 Skyhawk

Does anyone have any information on the white/red IAF TA-4J shown as option F on the Armycast decal sheet?

I know that scheme is common for some Israeli training aircraft, but I’ve never seen a Skyhawk in that scheme.  I’ve got a number of books on Israeli aircraft, and a couple specifically on IAF Skyhawks, but I’ve never seen a picture of an aircraft in that scheme either in a book or on the Internet.  The two seater Skyhawks were originally assigned to the A-4 squadrons, and were camouflaged like all of the other Skyhawks.  Even when many were later transferred  to the IAF Flight School, they retained camo, maybe with the addition of an orange rudder and nose.  The Armycast instruction says it was from the Valley Squadron in 1974, which would make it seem quite rare to be pained that way while part of an operational attack squadron.  I think the scheme is interesting, but may not do it if it isn’t real.  TIA.

ETA, the pictures I can find of Skyhawk 703 are later in life and show it painted in camo, plus it looks like it’s a TA-4H with the small antenna at the top of the tail.  But, the 7xx serial number is consistent with it being a J model.  Also shown with the bent refueling probe, whereas the instructions show the straight probe, but that could have been a later retrofit.  If it was ever painted in white it may make been a temporary special scheme.

Edited by Dave Williams

Barring the photographic evidence that you are after, one explanation is that this surplus USN TA-4J simply hadn't been repainted from its original VT squadron overall white. Is it possible that the IAF needed the aircraft for service ASAP and didn't have time to repaint it, but did so later? You could always email Armycast and ask them what their reference for this particular scheme was.

Edited by TBC

Being an attrition replacement from a USN VT squadron is something that I’ve wondered about, but it’s shown with the extended exhaust fitted to IAF Skyhawks after the YKW, and it just didn’t seem likely that they would take the trouble to add on the exhaust (because it didn’t come from the US like that) and not only not repaint the aircraft in camo, but repaint the exhaust in the original white scheme.

32 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Being an attrition replacement from a USN VT squadron is something that I’ve wondered about, but it’s shown with the extended exhaust fitted to IAF Skyhawks after the YKW, and it just didn’t seem likely that they would take the trouble to add on the exhaust (because it didn’t come from the US like that) and not only not repaint the aircraft in camo, but repaint the exhaust in the original white scheme.

Yes. How the aircraft is depicted in the decal instructions could be seen as rather incongruous. I would like to know what Armycast has to say. It's completely reasonable to contact the decal manufacturer and ask them what the source of the scheme was. Was it their research, someone else's......?

If I remember correctly those pics are post delivery and as they were redoing them which would explain the exhaust.  I have some pics somewhere of them being repainted. 

The pics came from a Facebook group a couple years back.  May have more, but will have to look later. 

Edited by nichenson

Of note on 703 as this is closest and easiest to see. The red on the leading edge slats does not extend all the way to the lead edge of the slats and the red has been removed from the fixed surface of the upper port wing where the insignia is. I would assume the red was similarly removed from the starboard wing underside for the same reason.

Nice photos. Any idea which squadron they came from?

Hi Dave,

I do not think the exhaust extensions had been repainted white. This looks like an assumption for Armycast whereas the pictures do not confirm it. The areas are in the shadow but to me there is another color line close to the shadow one. By the way, why would they have done that? We should not forget that they used Phantoms in SEA camo for years. The IAF had not the habit to spend resources for futile reasons...

Hth

Thierry

I think you’re right, Thierry.  The shadow from the stab cuts across the exhaust area at an angle, but there is a small corner at the bottom, forward of the shadow, that looks like it’s a dull grayish metal color.  The extension may have been left unpainted.  That’s easy enough to do.  I just hope that the CE exhaust from their H set fits well on the twin seater fuselage.