1/32 A6M5 Zero - Meiji 1944

turbo

On 1/13/2022 at 5:14 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Nice work, Kirby! I vividly remember scratch-building these same flaps out of Evergreen sheet styrene for my Revell Zero build - which is getting on for 15 years ago now!

Kev

Ah, the good old days before we had all these nice AM replacements - kudos to you Kev! And thanks for the kind words Mark and Jeff.

So, just as I was feeling like I was making progress towards closing things up, I went to cut the flaps from the sprue and was confronted with this. Yep, six - count 'em - six bloody great ejector pin marks in each flap.

flaps-ejector-marks-web.jpg

And nope, they're not there on the real thing.

flaps-zero.jpg

It's not just the number of them, but the inconvenient location for filling and sanding. This isn't the first time on this kit there have been badly placed ejector pin marks - fortunately newer Tamiya 1/32 kits seem to be much better thought out. If I'd noticed this earlier I might have rethought the whole flaps down detailing idea...

Anyway, here we are now. I've decided the best filler for styrene wherever possible is...styrene! I cut sections of 1.6 mm styrene rod and placed them into the ejector pin marks. Tamiya Extra Thin was then run in, the plastic given a few seconds to soften, then pressed down with the butt end of a cocktail stick so that the molten plastic filled the mark.

flaps-ejector-marks-filled-web.jpg

I'll let this harden overnight then sand down with my David Union tool.

Cheers, Kirby

• 5 months later...