1/32 A6M5 Zero - Meiji 1944

turbo

I don't see this being done on the 52 panel as expalined in the picture caption below. I also have to reconsider this for the 21 and 32 Zeros. The photo is of the A6M3 captured at Buna and rebuilt by the Allies. What the reconstruction team did may be different than what the Japanese did.

I think I have mentioned it before, but you may want to leave the clock out of the IP and just have an empty hole. It was considered cool by the pilots to have this clock strung around their neck on parachute line. The control stick could then be tied in place (forward and to the left) with a short cord passed through this hole in the IP. This would "lock" the conrols with the elevators down and the left aileron up and the right one down.

Ryan

228 Gunsight Mount Panel

Thanks guys!

20 hours ago, A6M said:

I don't see this being done on the 52 panel as expalined in the picture caption below. I also have to reconsider this for the 21 and 32 Zeros. The photo is of the A6M3 captured at Buna and rebuilt by the Allies. What the reconstruction team did may be different than what the Japanese did.

I think I have mentioned it before, but you may want to leave the clock out of the IP and just have an empty hole. It was considered cool by the pilots to have this clock strung around their neck on parachute line. The control stick could then be tied in place (forward and to the left) with a short cord passed through this hole in the IP. This would "lock" the conrols with the elevators down and the left aileron up and the right one down.

Ryan

228 Gunsight Mount Panel

Reg :D, that looks pretty conclusive. Tamiya takes a decent stab at this part of the panel but it's in 2 parts which are joined at different stages of the build (just dry-fitted in the picture below) which makes it a bit tricky. I think I've got a plan though...

panel-frame-cropped-web.jpg

Unfortunately the control stick is already glued in place and all the weathering done so I don't want to risk mucking it all up, but that would have been very cool to replicate the arrangement you've described above!

Cheers guys

15 hours ago, Jamme said:

Hi.

Beautiful détaillent job !

I will follow your build as I have the "Sound and Light" version of the A6M5.

Greetings,

Jamme

Thanks very much Jamme! Have you listened to the engine sound yet?!

48 minutes ago, turbo said:

Thanks very much Jamme! Have you listened to the engine sound yet?!

Hi.

No, as I have to build the kit yet.

But I remember earring and seeing the builded kit in Nurnberg, at the toy fair, many years ago........

It was tremendous.

Cheers,

Jamme

Thanks Troy, appreciate it!

So, time to address the last major cockpit sub-assembly - the IP. This was a similar arrangement to Tamiya's Cosair kit, with printed instrument face decals applied to the back of clear parts which are then glued to the rear of the IP. I gave the clear parts a dip in Pledge to give the faces a glass-like sheen and also protect from any fogging from the Tamiya Extra Thin I used to glue them in place.

The decals are printed quite nicely, but I had a few issues with them dislodging even after application of MicroSol and drying overnight. For those building this kit, I would recommend cutting off any excess carrier film before application to the clear parts as this interfered with positioning of the clear parts into the various locators and could cause the decals to dislodge. Thankfully I managed to avoid any of the decals folding up on themselves or tearing - phew!

Now on to the hole left by the removed de-icing pump handle discussed above. This is made tricky as the upper part of the frame is comprised of 2 separate parts which are not joined until later after the fuselage halves are joined, which then makes the area inaccessible. Eduard provides a PE part for the fitting hole so I decided to attach this now to the upper part after cutting away the existing plastic. I'm now relying on Tamiya's excellent engineering to bring this together seamlessly later!

Ryan mentioned that the clock was often removed from the IP as it was cool for pilots to wear it around their neck. I had already painted and weathered the IP, so decided to leave the clock in place which I guess makes my pilot one of the nerds who liked everything in its place!

IP-web.jpg

So with that done (and not before time!) it's time to start pulling the interior together. With so much PE and various modifications, it's important to test fit all the sub-assemblies so we don't run into any nasty surprises later. Here's a look at the cockpit tub. Since the last update, plumbing has been added to the hydraulic hand pump on the cockpit floor, the oxygen cylinders behind the bulkhead added and plumbed, and the seat bearers added.

cockpit-tub-web.jpg

Here's the starboard side with the cockpit dry-fitted. So far so good...

interior-starboard-b-web.jpg

interior-starboard-a-web.jpg

And the port side. 

interior-port-a-web.jpg

interior-port-b-web.jpg

A few things still need to be done, but we're getting there - I'm happy with the way it's looking, suitably busy! The test-fitting has revealed a few issues that will need resolving and perhaps a change in build sequence, but more on that later.

Cheers guys!

Kirby, the cockpit looks amazing - well done indeed.

Several points on the instrument panel.

In the first image below, A is the emergency engine power boost button. It should be bare aluminum.

B is the magneto switch; you might want to add a few touches of white paint to detail it. You also can see next to each instrument is a small placard that labels what the instrument is. I have no good idea how one would add such details. Is it even feasible to add little black decal rectangles beside each instrument – I’m really actually fishing for ideas here.

C indicates that the body of the compass should be black. But while this is probably the most obvious addition it would need some real careful brush work.

Incidentally, the Hasegawa A6M5 has a decal for this and several other instrument details. I have the kit, but I also went and ordered a separate decal sheet to get some of those details for other builds.

229 Nakajima 52

Another detail that could still be added is a white decal to the wall of the left side of the cockpit. This is the aircraft ID “plate”. Up until starting to build the A6M5, Nakajima, like Mitsubishi, riveted an aluminum ID plate in this location. But for some reason, as seen in the IWM A6M5, Nakajima switched to a paper stuck to the cockpit wall.

230 Aircraft ID Plate

Hmm, so which clock is Mr. Flav using?

231 Clock

Ryan

6 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Excellent work.  Highly realistic looking. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Brilliant.....that is seriously well done. Lost for words really

Keep up the great work, love this build and information

Thanks Michael and Anthony, appreciate the coments!

7 hours ago, Thunnus said:

I guess Flavor Flav wasn't the first! :D

200301-flavor-flav-cs-304p_77b0c1e86ec8d

Awesome work KIrby!  The cockpit looks fantastic!

Ha, nice one John! My pilot obviously wasn't a Public Enemy fan!

7 hours ago, A6M said:

Kirby, the cockpit looks amazing - well done indeed.

Several points on the instrument panel.

In the first image below, A is the emergency engine power boost button. It should be bare aluminum.

B is the magneto switch; you might want to add a few touches of white paint to detail it. You also can see next to each instrument is a small placard that labels what the instrument is. I have no good idea how one would add such details. Is it even feasible to add little black decal rectangles beside each instrument – I’m really actually fishing for ideas here.

C indicates that the body of the compass should be black. But while this is probably the most obvious addition it would need some real careful brush work.

Incidentally, the Hasegawa A6M5 has a decal for this and several other instrument details. I have the kit, but I also went and ordered a separate decal sheet to get some of those details for other builds.

229 Nakajima 52

Another detail that could still be added is a white decal to the wall of the left side of the cockpit. This is the aircraft ID “plate”. Up until starting to build the A6M5, Nakajima, like Mitsubishi, riveted an aluminum ID plate in this location. But for some reason, as seen in the IWM A6M5, Nakajima switched to a paper stuck to the cockpit wall.

230 Aircraft ID Plate

Hmm, so which clock is Mr. Flav using?

231 Clock

Ryan

Thanks for the info Ryan, both interesting and useful as always! I'll look after the power boost button, magneto switch markings, and I should be able to add the ID plate to the cockpit wall before installing the tub. I'm a good chance of making a mess of the compass, so I'll have a think about that.

The instrument placards issue is an interesting one. They will be TINY (see my fingers holding the assembly a few posts up for a sense of scale) so are on the edge of what is possible and still convincing at this scale. Possibly too small to try a decal approach so I might try a small bit of black paint applied with a sharpened toothpick (the irregular nature of the toothpick application can give the impression of writing on the placard) on one instrument to start and remove it if it looks rubbish (which is likely!).