KFIR C2 1/32 improved a little bit.

tchwrma

Hi, folks.

I'm Starting a new project using the New tool Revell/Italeri Mirage IIIE.

On these project I will use the Fisher Cockpit, the horrible CAM conversion set, and some more improvements, some in scratch.

The object of this work will be an C2 KFIR in Ecuador markings.

ZbOkXSw.jpg

This is the desired object:

UeT2qQZ.jpg

Soon the updates.

Cheers, Paulo.

On 8/4/2020 at 4:04 AM, alain11 said:

Hi

this is an ambitious project !!are you sure that the nose cone will fit to the kit fuselage ? I will follow your thread with interest ....have fun

Alain

Alain,this will be the first issue. The set's nose is shorter a bit thhhhan the correct size and with a lower circunference than the kit',s nose.

I intend to do a surgery in the cone adding a ring between the nose and the kit, to correct this. I hope that this will correct the two issues.

Thanks, Paulo

On 8/4/2020 at 4:18 AM, dodgem37 said:

What is so terrible about the CAM conversion?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark, firstly the set was developed to the old Revell's Mirage kit.

Second, I believe that the set was developed to a child's use, because almost all the parts are wrong, with incorrect sizes and shapes.

third, the parts are too simple, with a lack of details.

and four, have a lot of errors in some parts.

But is a good start to the project. The issues will be corrected with scratch and changes.

Later, I will post some pictures showing these issues and the solutions.

Thanks, Paulo.

On 8/4/2020 at 4:15 AM, MikeMaben said:

Go Paulo   :speak_cool::popcorn:

23 hours ago, Isar 30/07 said:

Paulo,

wow, an ambitious and very interesting project!

I´m trying to get a chair in the front row!

Cheers - Reimund

Thanks, Friends.

I will try not to disappoint you.

Cheers, Paulo.

First considerations: The Revell's kit have a nice details, and in a dryfit looks good in the junctions of the parts, with a lot of engineering on this. All the joints have recessed shapes to allows a easy gluing and with a little chance to gaps and other gluing troubles.

The only issue that I find is some mold flaws in the fuselage parts who will need to be sanded down and removed. this will require some work in re scribe some lines and rivets.

Now, the first correction.

The set's cone nose  is shorter than needs to be, and the circunference of the part is lower than the kit's part.

In this picture, posted by Renegade, in his wonderful Cheetah conversion shows this issue.

In the picture we have in the middle the Isracast nose, and the CAM nose in the lower positon. Here,we can see the differences between them.

qVe0XsH.jpg

I corrected this just adding a ring from the original kit's nse between the kit and the set's nose.

This will correct either the size and the connection with the kit.

NfdJ54y.jpg

I will to fill the seam line and re sribe some nose's panel lines, but will be corrected.

This is the current appearance of the part, even without the primer.

Mh66TVy.jpg

I I took the opportunity to correct the shape of the nose and to correct one of the side fins that was broken.

ip4p7bD.jpg

I need to appologise with you by the poor quality of the pictures. As I have troubles with my Camera, The pictures are being made with my cell phone. As soon as the camera are repaired, the pictures will be inproved.

Now, the Nozzle ring

The set's ring are developed to the old kit, who have a round shape, quite different than the new kit, and no fits in all. Besides this, I found that the cut size its wrong. The part is shorted in lenght than will be necessary.

l2pdhxR.jpg

To solve this, I used the kit part. First I cut the rear portion to shape the KFIR size, and them I'm rescribing the rivets..

g1WehKi.jpg

There are a gap in the interior, who are not appears with the mirage nozzle, but it will be visible with the shorter KFIR nose. This need a correction.

And the parachute cover is longer and shorter in diameter than the mirage one. I cuted and reshape the part.

L440308.jpg

YuHWcxM.jpg

And some rivets redoed with my rivet tool.

RgngWhV.jpg

This is the tool: It consists in a 0,45mm CNC drll, reinforced by a brass tube glued wit CA glue and another plastic tube to add strenght to the drill.

QEwDtcS.jpg

Only 0.5 mm of the drill tip appears, more than necessary to drill the rivet.
With the brass tube attached all rivets are of equal depth.

more to come.

Paulo.

Edited by tchwrma
spell corrections

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Some updates.

The tail caused to me some troubles.

The left side of the tail have in the upper part the details represented in the kit, but the right side have only bumps.

So I have to recriate the details with extra thin plastic, a lot of sanding and the riveting job.

grqH3dV.jpg

c4Mp03y.jpg

So, I assembled the wings, with some plastic strips in the internal side, to allows the airbrakes to be movable, avoiding them to get broke in the plane assembly process,

who surely would happens if they was glued in the open position. Then I corrected some molding flaws in the Brakes parts.

Zbtq9EZ.jpg

The Revell's kit not have nothing in the internal part of the airbrakes, who are an error.

Then after gluing the wings I added a plastic part to represent the plate observed in this part.

Lately I intend to add some tubes to get more accurate.

txZBeOE.jpg

Y3KpsU7.jpg

Back to the tail.

I made the tail antennas used by the ecuatorian KFIRs.

10mI9sp.jpg

fHn6A9d.jpg?1

Then I corrected the movable part of the tail, who are shorter than the original. This gave-me more troubles than expected. But its ready.

All the tail was recribed nd all the rivets are drilled again, to appears equal to the ones that I needed to made. I also added some rivet lines only present in KFIR, and added too an acess door in the left side of the tail. this door was mounted farther away from the rudder surface, being raised.

Then I created the navigation lights with red and white plastic inserted in the rudder and sanded down to shape. The rear light are half red , and half white. And as Revell create a enormous space to this light, I has to cut through the rudder and insert a plastic part to cover the hole. The sides was painted to get the correct shape and size.

MazDkei.jpg

SHQM3Oe.jpg

klz4AZX.jpg

dRro7KG.jpg

Here the rudder finished, except by the rwr sensors, still absent.

I used some wash to see how was the rivet job.

2Ykf8XZ.jpg

lxrq84p.jpg

Here, the wings primered, to allows me to see the corrections in the seams.

nMkN08z.jpg

Bswt2E0.jpg

Some small parts:

jslD1pr.jpg

And the nose, primered:

BomoCH3.jpg

HrC1iyK.jpg

That's all for today.

Thanks for your comments.

Paulo.

Edited by tchwrma
spell corrections

Paulo,

Nice job on the wings and tail fin so far. That CAM nose is odd for sure, and it's mainly due to it being shorter and tapering too much, not leaving enough material to accommodate the squarish section underneath the nose. It should be almost flat at the bottom. Hope the images below helps to explain.

SzehjBd.jpg

You will see the same flatter surface underneath on the nose I made.

JGJrfKQ.jpg

Keep up the good work ;)

Cheers,

John