Airfix Spitfire Mk 1

AngoMango

Also this was my first attempt at Klaus's fantastic "stressed metal skin" effect, which I had trouble capturing in the pics, but I'll try to show you......

Again, it'll probably show up better once I have started adding paint.

post-405-1181970320.jpg

also wanted to assemble and paint the prop. I tried the technique of undercoating with humbrol metalcote, then black over the top of the silver, then I attempted to remove bits of the black while it was still a bit wet with tamiya tape stuck on, and ripped off. It sort of worked, but not quite what I was after.

post-405-1181970701.jpg

scratchbuilt a fuel tank by carving the shape out of a type of timber called "jelutong", and covered it with printers plate aluminium sheet. I intentionally sanded and scratched the aluminium, painted it, then rubbed off most of the paint to give it that worn look. I might have gone a bit overboard on that, but I do like the effect. :)

post-405-1181970896.jpg

I must stress that the engine block is only temporarily attached to the firewall area, so you can see what the engine and fuel tank look like together. I know the engine is a bit out of line and needs some lining up and adjustment before it gets permanently attached. :)

post-405-1181971132.jpg

and finally, I forgot to add a pic showing the wheel well walls which I again fabricated from printers plate sheet aluminium.

That's it for now guys, feel free to comment on anything you think of, or if you have any little tips or suggestions about how I could do something better. :)

Cheers, and I hope you can take some enjoyment from my horrible pictures.

Ango

post-405-1181971910.jpg

Hey there Ango

Your Spit is looking fantastic! This old kit needs alot of motivation to get thing moving aye!

Can't wait to see some paint on her to check out the streessed skin!

Have you chosen a color scheme yet?

Thanks for sharing, Ineed to get back onto mine!

Richard. :)

Hi Ango,

With this post and Richard's, all three LSPers currently working on the old Airfix kit are hereby present and accounted for. It's been such a long time since your last update I was wondering if you'd shelved the project (one doesn't like to ask!)and I'm delighted to see that the answer is a resounding no! She's coming great Ango, you've used various materials to very good effect and like Richard, I'm looking forward to seeing her sporting her camo. Don't make us wait so long for your next update please :rolleyes: .

Thanks for the kind comments Richard and Jean. You guys are quite an inspiration to me with this build, because you both have great talents that produce different yet equally stunning results on the old faithful Airfix Spit! :ph34r:

Truth be known Jean, I haven't actually done much on this spit lately, and sadly, you probably will have to wait for a while for the next update, because as I mentioned earlier, I have just bought a new house so will be working far more than I have been, to make it possible to make the mortgage payments. :D Anyway, enough of the sob story......The take-home message is that this will cut into my model building time a lot.

Richard, the colour scheme I think I've decided on is the stock standard KL-B, flown by the great New Zealander Al Deere. There are a few little details which I suspect won't be 100% accurate (such as the early style mirror), but this build is being treated as a learning exercise of scratchbuilding for me anyway. Accuracy is not absolutely paramount this time round.

And yes Rich, you DO need to get back into yours! :P Hurry up!

Anyway, thanks again and sorry about the dose of verbal dihorrea. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Ango

Hi Ango

Just been looking through your posts on this kit. You have done an awsome job with the engine and the work with the foil is amazing! I've started to use foil to make bits so I can appreciate the effort!

What color did you paint the engine, looks very convincing! Also like the way you fixed the gun throughs.

May I borrow the idea?

Hope you get the oppertunity to do some more work on her soon!

Cheers, Richard. :rolleyes:

showing us some excellent work here Ango. It is looking really nice so far. Great looking engine and cockpit. see that you have discovered the use of printer's aluminium. Once you get going with that stuff, there is so much you can do with it. you are sure putting it to good use.