Spad XIII, Avro 504K, and 1 1/2 Sopwith Strutter

Ali62

Thanks Ali!

Good news indeed. Although in this case it's really the Spad for me only, but I'm sure a LOT of others will be happy about the Sopwith and Avro.

I'm very happy to hear Roden is picking up the WWI mantel!

Well, the 1.5 Strutter was the last missing piece of the Collishaw puzzle.  So that's definitely nice.  Hopefully Roden though has upped their game a bit since the last time I dabbled with one of their kits.  Not to mention the magic exploding decals.  An Avro 504k though is definitely an overlooked plane from everybody.  That and the Be.2 need state-of-the-art kits.  Hopefully that'll be next on the docket.

Matt 

I think somebody is getting way, way over their skies on this. Roden have suggested some subjects they are looking at, but its a big leap to kitting the three mentioned. Two are two seaters, and Roden haven't produced a WWI two seater, perhaps because the price is that much higher? Even WNW two seaters sold slowly. The SPAD is decent, with Roden having already produced three SPAD VII boxings, so they can copy their Nieuport approach & kit newer versions.

I'm sure we'll see a SPAD XIII, but I'm not at all convinced the others will see the light of day, especially after CSM's disappointing Nieuport sales. If WNW's moulds are sold, which I suspect will happen, that may put the kaibosh on Roden's plan, especially if "new-WNW" are sold at MENG like low prices and high volumes.

On a related note, I've noticed Roden 1/32 WWI kits seem to have really shot up in price since WNW died. Looks like demand has increased as modellers look elsewhere for their WWI LSP fix, with WNW's prices on the used market far exceeding any reasonable levels, and only Roden and, to a lesser extent, Special Hobby are in that market. Will be fascinating to see how this plays out. Maybe WNW were a special case, with hyper loyal customers, many of whom, perhaps most, were buying mostly as a speculative venture because of the inevitable sold out signs? Will that transfer to Roden, who never seem to sell out, so there is no financial incentive to buy on spec? Will be looking on with interest, but I'd be shocked to see all three kits appear.

3 hours ago, STWilliams said:

I think somebody is getting way, way over their skies on this. Roden have suggested some subjects they are looking at, but its a big leap to kitting the three mentioned. Two are two seaters, and Roden haven't produced a WWI two seater, perhaps because the price is that much higher? Even WNW two seaters sold slowly. The SPAD is decent, with Roden having already produced three SPAD VII boxings, so they can copy their Nieuport approach & kit newer versions.

I'm sure we'll see a SPAD XIII, but I'm not at all convinced the others will see the light of day, especially after CSM's disappointing Nieuport sales. 

Curious: How do we know CSM’s Nieuport sales are disappointing?

9 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Curious: How do we know CSM’s Nieuport sales are disappointing?

Because they said that they're focusing on armored cars so they can afford to make more plane kits because the Nieuport didn't sell enough.  Also why the Brandenburg got pushed back.

Matt

CSM slept soundly through the "We want Dr.I" years.  Some people just don't perceive the obvious. 

Hopefully Roden has learned some things as well.  While the SPAD is a great choice, I have reservations about the latter two.  I still have 6 WNW kits to build and I only get the WWI Jones about once a year.  Hopefully something decent surfaces before I run out of kits.

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

CSM slept soundly through the "We want Dr.I" years.  Some people just don't perceive the obvious. 

Hopefully Roden has learned some things as well.  While the SPAD is a great choice, I have reservations about the latter two. 

True. Some solid WW1 subjects have been languishing in what are now considered mediocre SH and Roden kits after Wnw raised the bar over everyone's head--SPADs, Dr1, early Albis, fokkers etc. Even Wnw itself didn't realize this until too late. 

The SPAD is a good choice, one of the iconic WW1 fighters, and I also agree that more ungainly pc10 two-seaters are not going to bring Roden any joy, especially when you see how Wnw's are lingering during the close-out frenzy.

Hopefully Roden really ups its game and has a success on its hands. But the Roden/ICM Kaydet comparison shows that Roden's engineering still has a way to go, and that counts for heck of a lot with all those spindly biplane connection points. 

8 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Because they said that they're focusing on armored cars so they can afford to make more plane kits because the Nieuport didn't sell enough.  Also why the Brandenburg got pushed back.

Matt

Matt

Who is the “they” within the CSM company?  

I have all the CSM Newport kits. So I have done my part. LOL.  IMHO the CSM missed the mark so far by not producing the SPAD XIII and I am partial to the type.  

I'm so happy they announced these 3 releases!  I will be buying multiple boxings of all 3 if finances allow! The Spad is a must, the 1 1/2 Strutter is amazing, a very important aircraft produced by the British and the French, and used as a fighter, bomber and nightfighter (Comic) - what is not to like?? The Avro is a very important historical aeroplane, and it's post-war use was extensive, with some lovely post-war Commonwealth colour schemes! And an Avro 504N is possible! Us South Africans want it really badly! So great choices, Roden! Their recent moulding quality improves all the time and their older WW1 aircraft in the man's scale are quite buildable with minor effort. This is the golden age of modelling... Regards, Marc.