New Group Build starting next month; Training Day....

BradG

RePurposed is an interesting idea. A role that the aircraft wasn't designed for. P51 Racing planes, Stearman crop dusters, planes hollywood-ised for movies (t6s and Mig 28s), firebombers, makeshift transports etc. 

Denzil

Edited by RadBaron

27 minutes ago, RadBaron said:

RePurposed is an interesting idea. A role that the aircraft wasn't designed for. P51 Racing planes, Stearman crop dusters, planes hollywood-ised for movies (t6s and Mig 28s), firebombers, makeshift transports etc. 

Denzil

I think a problem might be the availability of decals, which is going to greatly limit the options.

21 hours ago, BradG said:

... Reconnaissance in 1/32 is an interesting idea, again I'm not sure there are enough easily available kits for it to be a viable idea, but I am open to being convinced.

You could widen the scope somewhat by including any aircraft used by a reconnaissance unit, or any aircraft engaged on reconnaissance duties, even if not carrying a specific fit. 

For example, GR II/33 "Savoie" used standard Spitfire Vs, although most if not all were Vc variants, so you'll still have work to do.  The Revell boxing of ICM's Bu 131D includes markings for a reconnaissance unit, in fact that's the boxtop option; it was used mainly for courier work (the unit's main equipment was the Hs 126), but no doubt could engage in recce by Mk I eyeball if required.  The 7th PRG (Spitfire PR XIs) used Mk Vbs as proficiency and continuation trainers. http://www.americanairmuseum.com/media/4523

Don't forget meteorological reconnaissance, you have possibilities like the Gladiator (used for met recce until 1944) or the He 111.  Apart from a few specific instruments, easily scratch-buildable, they are pretty standard.

Being an ex-weapons loader, I love seeing bombs loaded on aircraft ….

How about 'Mud Movers' ? Any aircraft, any era, as long as it has some air-to-ground weaponry.

Edited by scott_t
didnot like the wording I used

On 8/5/2020 at 5:24 AM, Basta said:

* Pimp my ride: flamboyant, non-standard and commemorative paint jobs. 

I like this one. So many schemes!! I would suggest adding nose art as well. I'm thinking US Navy and Marine colorful schemes, especially CAG birds, Bicentennial birds, USAF F-100's. Tarheel Hal P-47, RCAF commemorative schemes, Postwar Luftwaffe...lots of choices/eras...

Don

Some good suggestions here. I've put together the list of ideas I think are the best.

Ground support and interdiction - includes fighter-bombers so you're Bf 109 with bombs, or F-4 all bombed up.
Asian Delights - Anything from Asia, massive scope here, ranging from Japan to Turkey down to Indonesia.
Air Superiority - single seat fighters
LSP Zoo - Aircraft with animal names, F-18 Hornet, A-10 Warthog, Mustang etc.
In Enemy Hands - Anything captured.
Animal House - Aircraft with animal based nose art or artwork. So this would cover shark mouths, tiger meet, Stuka's with the snake on the fuselage etc.
The Blue Box of Happiness - Revell kits
Glory - aces and other highly decorated and/or successful pilots
Wet Wings - carrier based, float planes or those mounted on other warships
All That Glitters - Commemorative colour schemes, special schemes, target tugs, formation ships, etc

Anyways had a read, I'll set up a poll soon and leave it running for a while so you can vote. We will be running 4 again, so 6 months each. 

53 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

I have never participated in a GB over all these years, can it be something you have already started?  Might be the motivation I need to press on with my Tamiya Mosquito Trainer conversion??

Anything started already Anthony must be less than 25% complete, I guess only you can be the judge of that. I submitted pictures of my Anson for the multi-engined GB to Kev but in the end didn’t get round to progressing it further. 

6 hours ago, nichenson said:

Does this including a training plane used for other purposes? 

To be in the Training Day Group Build, the aircraft must be in a livery related to pilot or air crew training.