Question re correct weapons for F-4S Phantom

1 hour ago, Lothar said:

I have to give this a serious thought, might save me some frustration!!! Decals are one thing, they're available in this scale and the correct markings.

Lothar

Well let me see, on my F-4 to do list there’s 

F-4D Steve Ritchie Scheme

F-4E scheme undecided 

F-4EJ Kai (Hasegawa kit on order) 2 Tone Blue Camo scheme

RF-4-E scheme undecided

F-4 FGR.1 Royal Navy

F-4 FGR.2 RAF 92Sqn scheme most likely

F-4S scheme undecided

If I can track down the ZM kit I’ll do an F-4C in Robin Olds scheme, do my F-4D as a USAFE bird based at RAF Bentwaters and do the F-4E as a Steve Ritchie scheme. I should be able to get the schemes out of the Werners Wings Steve Ritchie and Friends decal sheet that way (save some extra Stencil Date decals). I have a soft spot for the F-4 so doing this in 1/48 makes some sense but will my Sausage fingers manage the miniature scale?

7 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

F-4E scheme undecided 

RF-4-E scheme undecided

F-4 FGR.1 Royal Navy

F-4S scheme undecided

If I can track down the ZM kit I’ll do an F-4C in Robin Olds scheme, do my F-4D as a USAFE bird based at RAF Bentwaters and do the F-4E as a Steve Ritchie scheme. I should be able to get the schemes out of the Werners Wings Steve Ritchie and Friends decal sheet that way (save some extra Stencil Date decals). I have a soft spot for the F-4 so doing this in 1/48 makes some sense but will my Sausage fingers manage the miniature scale?

That's quite an ambitious list Ade. But if you love Phantoms it should be doable. One of the most impressive and interesting aircraft ever, I have the same

soft spot for Phantoms. My stash currently counts 11 48scale and 2 32nd scale kits, and they all cry out to be done - my shaky hands will most likely not prevent

me from at least trying. Go for it Ade.

16 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Hold off on that.  I'm in a slow process of doing accurate markings for the Operation Bolo aircraft (at long last).  It's incredible how little photographic evidence there is to go on on those aircraft.  Lots of what's been done to date on them (profiles, decals, etc) is just flat wrong.  Lots of people make inaccurate assumptions about them.

In 1/32?  I thought he was talking about the 1/48 Z-M kit.  I’d love some Operation Bolo 1/32 decals.  Have the old Fox One sheet that I was going to use.

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

F-4E scheme undecided 

RF-4-E scheme undecided

F-4 FGR.1 Royal Navy

F-4S scheme undecided

A VX-30 QF-4S is the way to go for the F-4S.  I’d be so happy to see this decal sheet scaled up to 1/32 for use with the GT Resin conversion.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/fightertown-decals-48038-mcdonnell-douglas-qf-4s-phantom-ii--145330

6 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Probably both scales.  The Fox One sheet has some serious problems.  The research was pretty good for the time, but the execution left something to be desired.

My Werners Wings Steve Ritchie and Friends decal set in 1/32 that I’ve just sold on had a Robin Olds scheme on it. I believe that scheme only came with the 1/32 sheet not the 1/48 one. I’ll find out on that one when the sheet arrives. If not I’ll gladly hold on for some Fundekals sets. None of these builds are going to be done overnight anyway.  Yes many other guys flew the F-4 but I have quite a bit of respect for Robin Olds. The quintessential Fighter Pilot. 

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Hold off on that.  I'm in a slow process of doing accurate markings for the Operation Bolo aircraft (at long last).  It's incredible how little photographic evidence there is to go on on those aircraft.  Lots of what's been done to date on them (profiles, decals, etc) is just flat wrong.  Lots of people make inaccurate assumptions about them.

With or without the "donkey dick"?  F-4Cs are typically pictures with the IR sensor fairing, but the Keith Ferris painting shows Olds' Bolo aircraft without it.

1 hour ago, jenshb said:

With or without the "donkey dick"?  F-4Cs are typically pictures with the IR sensor fairing, but the Keith Ferris painting shows Olds' Bolo aircraft without it.

There was a lengthy debate about this on LSP a few years ago, and the consensus was to go the Ferris slick route. IIRC the Wing was receiving the AN/APR-25 RHAWS from late November, which would employ the radome blister and the "acorn" on the tail above the rudder, but whether Olds' Bolo jet featured these mods hasn't been answered conclusively. However, the aircraft were specially preened for the mission and contemporaneous photos shows quite a few plain radomes. 

Tony

Sorry for thread divergence.

My favourite F-4S was VX-4's Vandy 75 celebrating the 75th year of US Naval Aviation, in 1986. Beautiful dark metallic blue with gold trim. 

I bought the Hassy 1/48 scale kit way back, over thirty years ago, but it would look so much better in 1/32nd! 

The blue and grey model made by Ken looks pretty amazing too. 

Tony