1/32 F15A

panzerrob

Hi guys,

Which kit resembles a F15A the closest: Revell's F15 or Tamiya's F15C or F15J?

I really want to build aF15 from the 32nd TFS from Soesterberg in the 1980's!

Any info is welcome.

With regards,

Rob

Hi,

Certainly not the J as it has a MSIP cockpit. The two others are asking for serious work to build a A. The Tamiya because it still has many E features that are different from the single seater ones and the Revell because it is somewhat crude in comparison and few aftermarket sets have been released for that kit. 

Hth

Thierry 

Having the same idea to make an F-15A, I still think the Tamiya kit will be the best base to work from.  KA Models make beautiful featherless exhaust nozzles and afterburners (expensive, but beautiful), and Res-Kit will be making A/B style wheels.  Although they are designed to fit the Revell kit, I am sure they can somehow be adapted to fit the Tamiya kit.  In addition to modify fuselage panels from E to C, you will also need to modify the fairing aft of the airbrake to an A.  The C fairing looked like a Y, the A fairing looks more like a wide, rectangular U.  The Daco book on the F-15A/B should show what I mean.

Jens

5 hours ago, panzerrob said:

Hi guys,

Which kit resembles a F15A the closest: Revell's F15 or Tamiya's F15C or F15J?

I really want to build aF15 from the 32nd TFS from Soesterberg in the 1980's!

Any info is welcome.

With regards,

Rob

AFAIK the 32nd flew mostly F-15Cs in the 1980s. You'll want the F-15C kit, apprpriate decals and note the wheel types from photos.

Aft of the nose and cockpit the Tamiya single-seater kits are based on the earlier E airframe kit, so there are some subtle differences you can/need not (delete as appropriate) get neurotic about, such as the Jet Fuel Starter vents.

Tony 

This is what @eaglekeeper said needed to be looked at for an accurate F-15C from the Tamiya kit (bearing in mind you want an early C, not an updated one, and that some of the language used is easily understood if you have his level of familiarity but I would need a photo guide to fully appreciate everything he says)...

<<

1) Forward Door onengine hump is not on a C model, C model only has one door for the Engine forward mount.

2) JFS Chimney vents aft of the speedbrake, E model has 6 (3 per side) split on the centerlineby additional avionics carried by the E model (panel in the centerline is werethis avionics goes). C models only have one vent, which is offset of thecenterline, and the panel is not present.

3) Fuel dump notpresent on panel 113l/r and oil cooler vent not present on panel 95 l/r.

4) Saber Drains onpanel 117l/r removed off all F-15’s due to their redundancy (would of saved mea nasty scar on my back if they had done this earlier)

5) Airframe patches on side of the intakes is not present on all aircraft, probably just the 78model they used at Kadena.

6) AMAD bay coolingscoops (access panel aft of main gear well) was repositioned to inboard side ofpanel when the chafe/flare mods were installed on the aircraft (MISIP) toprevent the chafe from clogging the vent a causing an overheat condition.

7) Left engine bay access door should only have two latches on the trailing edge, kit has four, two extras on the leading edge of the door.

8) Ribbing? On theforward LAU-106 fuselage stations access doors should not be there.

9) Panel linesaround the pitot probes should not be there ( this is from dirt on the pitotcovers).

10) Under the leftcanopy hinge point is Panel 12, this should not have a beef-up patch, probablyon the aircraft Tamiya used.

11) Beef-up on therudder center hinge point should not be there or as pronounced as they have onthe kit.

12) LVS bulletshould be longer and larger in diameter then is in the kit.

13) Wing-rootanti-collision lights should be larger and a bit more outboard, the ones in thekit are from the E model kit and reflect the E model.

14) C model horizontal stabs do not have the reinforcement strips as on the E models, plus the hinge point just does not look correct, seems a little beefed-up there as well.

15) Struts providedare E model struts, most noticeable would be the oleo on the E which is squareand the C which is round. Thus the wheels are E model though not as noticeablewith the nose tire and wheel.

16) Main gear dragbrace hinge springs are the larger type found on the E model although the strut diameter is larger then a C model strut not as noticeable on the model. Themain wheels and tire are the E models as well.

17) Engine compressorface is from an E model with a –229 installed.

18) There should beno Circuit Breaker panels on the wall of the fuselage section in Bay 5 (leftover from using the E model forward fuselage barrel), Both wall need to be scrapped and sanded smooth and ribbing added in its place..

19) Screw post hole on the floor in bay 5 should be eliminated and smoothed over with a new wiring conduit in its place.

20) The Augmentor nozzles (Divergent seals should be 21” ) 

21) The Tailstinger antennae (“nipples”) are of the wrong shape, but different antennas were installed on different aircraft at one time or another so check reverenceson this one.

22) They even got the chock ropes incorrect, they should be laced, one rope per chalk and lacedinto the other in a slot cut into one end. The way they show you is for EOR (End of Runway or Quick check)

23) There are some more dealing with panel set up but would take allot more time for that.

>>

HTH rather than hinders,

Tony 

Hi Tony, and all who responded,

Thanks for the info, and I'll print the last posting and put it in with the decalsheet for references.

Now I have to find a decent priced Tamiya F15C

With regards,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

you may check out the various 1/32 F-15 models made, including a F-15B of 32 TFS. ( the dual F-15A).

https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/F15-32/f15-32.htm

May be not perfect, but I am happy with them.

RF-15-sid.jpg

Cheers, Meindert

Edited by mydesign
link