Jump to content

RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion


Anthony in NZ

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

 

Ok, Roger that.  It all sounds like double Dutch to me but I will endeavor to figure it all out and make changes where needed. Thank you sir!

 

Cheers Anthony

 

During wartime NBC conditions, the aircrew would use an AR5 respirator, which included an integral oxygen mask, was worn under the helmet as part of his flying clothing (AEA), and was powered by a portable battery powered respirator (the large round hand-held cannister in the images below) to provide ventilation and clean air. The pilot would board the aircraft with this equipment prior to taxi and take off. What I am not certain of, is if the aircraft cockpit was modified to accept the AR5 respirator equipment, which, as can be seen, is not exactly small!

 

British AR5 NBC gear

 

British AR5 NBC gear

 

nwu8x0gt5ma51.jpg

 

Derek

Edited by Derek B
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just checked this out with an-ex RAF pilot I once worked with on Lightnings and who later went on to fly the Phantom. He has just told me that when he got into the aircraft, the AR5 portable hand-held respirator was disconnected and handed back to the ground crew, as it is too large to stow in the cockpit (the aircrew referred to these portable respirators as the 'whistling handbag'!). So, as you were Anthony - onwards and upwards with your wonderful work!

 

Cheers

 

Derek 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2022 at 11:55 AM, Derek B said:

Just checked this out with an-ex RAF pilot I once worked with on Lightnings and who later went on to fly the Phantom. He has just told me that when he got into the aircraft, the AR5 portable hand-held respirator was disconnected and handed back to the ground crew, as it is too large to stow in the cockpit (the aircrew referred to these portable respirators as the 'whistling handbag'!). So, as you were Anthony - onwards and upwards with your wonderful work!

 

Cheers

 

Derek 

Thanks for looking into this mate, what a great set up that is!

Bit of a relief I dont have to do these to be honest!  I breathed a huge sigh of relief when you posted this LOL

 

On 3/21/2022 at 2:14 PM, KiwiZac said:

Excellent stuff Ants, I'm excited to see you work your magic!

Thanks Zac, nice having you along still mate!

 

On 3/22/2022 at 2:20 AM, easixpedro said:

Oh, this is going to be great! Off to a wonderful start in the pit! Always fascinating to the the changes amongst the variants. The O2 panel looks just like the one from the B version...

 

-Peter

Thanks Peter, I might have to check out that O2 panel you mention on the B.

 

Cheers guys

Anthony

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This I felt was worth a separate post

A parcel arrived last night from Rick  @Spooky56 of some parts needed for my build.  Thanks mate!

Inside there were some gorgeous RAF Phantom ladders printed in 1/32 from John @xvtonker I have snapped a pic of what they look like on my Phantom and think they look amazing dont you?  These are (well the rear one) is designed for the Spey Toom and although he did them in 1/48 he kindly scaled them up to 1/32 for me....you're a legend mate and I will be forever grateful.  Included are 2 types of front one as there was a different version made that was often seen in RAFG ans also on the mainland UK and he has done the US version of the front.

 

They are absolutely sublime and highly recommended to anyone building an RAF Spey Toom in 1/48 (or 1/32 if making available).  Honestly I am speechless as they really are that good!

 

I was pretty nervous placing the rear one on as these were measured off real ones with the help again of the BPAG.  Anyway, what a relief as it sits perfectly from all angles compared to photos.  Looks like it was made exactly for my model.  This also confirmed all the effort going to get the intake the right length, width and shape has paid off!  PHEW!

 

Thank you John and Rick, also @Ali62i for the Brass u/c for the Revell kit he does.  I am going to see if it can be used with the Tamiya kit as they are far more accurate.

 

Anyway here is a pic

NRW0su.jpg

 

Nice aye

 

Cheers Anthony

 

 

Edited by Anthony in NZ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

This I felt was worth a separate post

A parcel arrived last night from Rick  @Spooky56 of some parts needed for my build.  Thanks mate!

Inside there were some gorgeous RAF Phantom ladders printed in 1/32 from John @xvtonker I have snapped a pic of what they look like on my Phantom and think they look amazing dont you?  These are (well the rear one) is designed for the Spey Toom and although he did them in 1/48 he kindly scaled them up to 1/32 for me....you're a legend mate and I will be forever grateful.  Included are 2 types of front one as there was a different version made that was often seen in RAFG ans also on the mainland UK and he has done the US version of the front.

 

They are absolutely sublime and highly recommended to anyone building an RAF Spey Toom in 1/48 (or 1/32 if making available).  Honestly I am speechless as they really are that good!

 

I was pretty nervous placing the rear one on as these were measured off real ones with the help again of the BPAG.  Anyway, what a relief as it sits perfectly from all angles compared to photos.  Looks like it was made exactly for my model.  This also confirmed all the effort going to get the intake the right length, width and shape has paid off!  PHEW!

 

Thank you John and Rick, also @Ali62i for the Brass u/c for the Revell kit he does.  I am going to see if it can be used with the Tamiya kit as they are far more accurate.

 

Anyway here is a pic

NRW0su.jpg

 

Nice aye

 

Cheers Anthony

 

 

 

Perfect! Great work by John on those ladders (they bring back great memories for me) and also great confirmation of your own work Anthony.

 

LhBQdgR.jpg

Derek

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those look sharp! But I chuckle every time I see boarding ladders… There’s a reason the navy uses built-in systems, besides to save deck space. Apparently during Vietnam, it was a “Thing” for disgruntled Sailors working on the flight deck to throw ‘em overboard! The number of stories related to me over the years makes it sound endemic, though I’m sure it was much less than sea stories indicate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Derek B said:

 

Perfect! Great work by John on those ladders (they bring back great memories for me) and also great confirmation of your own work Anthony.

 

LhBQdgR.jpg

Derek

Looking very dapper Derek in your whites &

sunglasses! that is YOU isn't it?

:thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2022 at 2:47 PM, easixpedro said:

Those look sharp! But I chuckle every time I see boarding ladders… There’s a reason the navy uses built-in systems, besides to save deck space. Apparently during Vietnam, it was a “Thing” for disgruntled Sailors working on the flight deck to throw ‘em overboard! The number of stories related to me over the years makes it sound endemic, though I’m sure it was much less than sea stories indicate.

LOL, I imagine there are a few at the bottom of the ocean then!

 

On 3/26/2022 at 11:51 PM, MARU5137 said:

Anthony, 

Sorry to see that little mishap  melting bit.(how can you repair it?).

WONDROUS  workmanship. And those ladders are top notch.

:coolio:

Very IMPRESSIVE  work. it is looking mighty good. 

:wow::thumbsup:

Keep going. you are doing a super job. 

:bow:

Thank you. 

Thanks mate, yeah should be easy enough to fix...just a little annoying!

 

On 3/27/2022 at 8:39 AM, Derek B said:

 

Well spotted Maru, yes it is! :)

 

Derek

Glad it's bringing back some good memories for you Derek!

 

On 3/28/2022 at 12:03 AM, Marcel111 said:

Of course! Took a two-month hiatus from the hobby but getting into it again.

 

Cheers,

Marcel

Yes sometimes it's nice to have a break and clear the head

 

9 hours ago, Chek said:

 

One thing that's noticeable comparing USAF and RAF QRA scrambles, is that the  RAF guys don't have to form an orderly queue to get aboard.

As fast as possible being the objective.

LOL..."all aboard" as the Brits would say!

 

I will do a proper update later in the week as things a moving along nicely.  A big help was kerry did this unit here for me that sits on the left rear sidewall(in the blue circle on the prev page).  This was a big help as I just could not get such a simple thing looking nice...thanks buddy, this is a true collaboration!

cUz0pN.jpg

 

aAaiwT.jpg

 

Cheers guys

Anthony

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...