RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

15 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

So it is time to move on from the cockpit for now and get the last items in the fuse ready for epoxying the wing on.

Sadly I didn't take a pic of the 3 piece engine fronts before I epoxied them into the intake ducts.  These ducts needed a good clean as they were dusty from prev work.  Anyway I have them all sealed up and the Tamiya Canopy kit parts (excl the centre piece) back on and sealed with Tamiya masking tape to mitigate dirt and sanding dust getting in.

RSq8xN.jpg

So back to the 'hot' end again

This is a very uninteresting part to paint but kinda tricky at the same time.  I used a base of Mr Color Titanium, then sprayed various mixes of greys and a touch of green.  Then washes and streaking with Tamiya weathering pigments.  I did my very best to copy photos and as much as I wanted it to look more 'dramatic' and exciting I just couldnt.  I used these as some of my refs

Photo credit Iain Ogilvie

sFqAAX.jpg

Photo credit Dave Gledhill

wpG2gO.png

rU2JUW.jpg

Trying to get the streakiness to match

kNsb1A.jpg

VO5tJp.jpg

tG9n65.jpg

But you know what....once the cans are on and I dont have direct light shining up there you cant really se a lot anyway...oh well

8liQ44.jpg

Ok now it's back to the upper and lower aux air door interiors then I think I can get the lower wing on??

Cheers guys as always thanks and I hope it is of use to anyone wanting to tackle this.

Anthony

Colouring looks spot-on Anthony, well done.

Derek

15 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:
On 12/4/2022 at 2:48 PM, Derek B said:

Hi Anthony,

@Ali62 is so good at what he does! The new windscreen looks superb and is now enhanced even more, good work Anthony.

Cheers

Derek

Expand  

Cheers Derek!  Yup @Ali62 canopy set is superb and a must purchase in my opinion if you're doing the Tamiya Phantom

Agreed Anthony - not sure if I could ever afford it now, being retired (cost of living stuff is an issue for me at the moment), however, it is essential if I ever wish to contemplate converting my F-4J into a FGR.2 before I get too old to do so! Brilliant work (as always) so far Anthony; it is a pleasure and inspiration watching this come together.

Cheers

Derek

Hi 

what a nice job !! each step brings its share of surprises .. hat off !!! you will make people jealous , people desperately waiting for a Brit phantom 

well , if you allow me , there is a tiny detail , almost nothing , that is often forgotten , this is this kind of  "drain " ?????? !!!!!!! on each side of the intakes ( sure you already noticed them )

cheers 

Alain

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.britmodeller.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F234949864-mcdonnell-fg1-fgr2-phantom%2F&psig=AOvVaw3usABxMotN9GXAKUVEo0qU&ust=1670868504782000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CBEQjhxqFwoTCOiZkrCU8vsCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

xv497%20(175).jpg

7 hours ago, Derek B said:

Agreed Anthony - not sure if I could ever afford it now, being retired (cost of living stuff is an issue for me at the moment), however, it is essential if I ever wish to contemplate converting my F-4J into a FGR.2 before I get too old to do so! Brilliant work (as always) so far Anthony; it is a pleasure and inspiration watching this come together.

Cheers

Derek

Derek thanks doe the comment on the colours, means a lot since you have seen a lot of them!

Dont worry about costs of those things mate, I have a box of goodies I am putting together for you in case you tackle the conversion (which I hope you do one day).  Getting you set up to do this conversion would be my pleasure!!

4 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Anthony,

PERFECTION in your work..

:clap2:

Iain  Ogilvie and Dave Gledhill's photographs  are great references for you.

Your work is neat.

Keep up the outstanding work  

:bow:

Thanks again!  You're so encouraging

57 minutes ago, alain11 said:

Hi 

what a nice job !! each step brings its share of surprises .. hat off !!! you will make people jealous , people desperately waiting for a Brit phantom 

well , if you allow me , there is a tiny detail , almost nothing , that is often forgotten , this is this kind of  "drain " ?????? !!!!!!! on each side of the intakes ( sure you already noticed them )

cheers 

Alain

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.britmodeller.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F234949864-mcdonnell-fg1-fgr2-phantom%2F&psig=AOvVaw3usABxMotN9GXAKUVEo0qU&ust=1670868504782000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CBEQjhxqFwoTCOiZkrCU8vsCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

xv497%20(175).jpg

Heya Alain, I haven't forgotten that drain/breather.  There are quite a few dotted around this and most other airframes as you well know.  Thanks for making sure I dont miss it!

Glad you're still hanging in along here with me!

Cheers Anthony

13 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:
7 hours ago, Derek B said:

Cheers

Derek

Expand  

Derek thanks doe the comment on the colours, means a lot since you have seen a lot of them!

Dont worry about costs of those things mate, I have a box of goodies I am putting together for you in case you tackle the conversion (which I hope you do one day).  Getting you set up to do this conversion would be my pleasure!!

Wow, thank you! It would mean a lot to me and I can guarantee that it would not only make me tackle the conversion immediately (after the Lightning, of course), but also inspire me to make it to the best of my ability because of your epic conversion.

Many thanks

Derek

Anthony... I'm not a jet guy so I don't have anything valuable to offer.  I just wanted to applaud the level of complexity and detail that is being applied.  The best type of detail not only highlights the first level closest to the eye but populates that deeper level to convince the viewer of the overall complexity of a fighter aircraft. It's difficult to achieve but see heaps of that here.

Just checking in and I'm not disappointed.  Your meticulous attention to detail is way, way over the top as usual, and that's a good thing.  As I mentioned a few times before, this jet will be the best representation of a British Phantom ever created.  Even if somebody eventually makes this particular model, how could they do any better than what you have done?  My hat is off.

Cheers,

Chuck

On 12/13/2022 at 10:46 AM, Thunnus said:

Anthony... I'm not a jet guy so I don't have anything valuable to offer.  I just wanted to applaud the level of complexity and detail that is being applied.  The best type of detail not only highlights the first level closest to the eye but populates that deeper level to convince the viewer of the overall complexity of a fighter aircraft. It's difficult to achieve but see heaps of that here.

Wow...thanks!  True motivation indeed from a craftsman like you!  Thanks so much, as I get a lot of inspiration from your builds

On 12/14/2022 at 3:35 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Just checking in and I'm not disappointed.  Your meticulous attention to detail is way, way over the top as usual, and that's a good thing.  As I mentioned a few times before, this jet will be the best representation of a British Phantom ever created.  Even if somebody eventually makes this particular model, how could they do any better than what you have done?  My hat is off.

Cheers,

Chuck

Awwww thanks mate, I am using your F-4E build photo's as a lot of my references on how you approached different aspects of the kit, you did such an amazing job and I have all you pics saved! Thanks so much for the compliment, I am humbled!  Always love following your work and that F-16 is shaping up to be another masterclass!

15 hours ago, Squizzy 78 said:

Looking at your work Anthony, I’m in awe of your panel line and riveting work! The details are so sharp, neat and consistent! 
What tools are you using for your rivets, I’m guessing a riveting wheel style for the smaller lighter ones?

keep up the great work :clap2:

Thanks as always buddy!  I use the older 'Rosie the riveter' tool.  Often I will use the 1/48 wheel as I think it can look better in 1/32 and a spacing variation while not noticeable adds another layer of interest.  I then go over each one with a compass point to make it round and not square and then buff/sand to finish.  Very light mist of Mr surfacer then Tamiya accent wash and another buff and make corrections where needed.  Most of these will dissappear under the top coat later on, but I want to be able to use the effect underneath to give some texture to the finish in places of high wear and dirt.  This is going to be tricky to get looking right.  I have a mental picture of how I want it to look, I just need to see if I can replicate it without it looking like she's retired and sitting in the Scottish Scrapyard  where she spent her last days.

Thanks guys, I am feeling really motivated to get some more done this coming weekend!

Cheers Anthony

5 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Great googly moogly!  I've missed a lot on this!  Glad you're back in the saddle there pal.  

And for someone that hates cockpits, you've done a bang up job on these! (What am I going to be able to prod you about now?...Looking forward to the wing/fuse join)

Haha, thanks buddy!  Yes mate, back in the saddle and enjoying it!

Aaaaah yes the dreaded wing to fuse joint, thats going to be interesting considering all the fuse mods I have done.  Test fit seems ok, but the actual upper wing is going to need to be precise as the fuse is widened and a different shape on that junction now

Great to have you still along!  

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I can feel the nerves as I approach the time to epoxy the lower wing on!

Firstly thanks to @geedubelyer and @Spooky56 for supplying me some parts out of their F-16 engine parts.  This has enabled me to put some sort of semi accurate detail in here, but I think I should have added more plumbing...

I did my best here to be accurate but it was a really tricky area to understand and get slightly accurate. I’m not too worried as most of it won’t be seen but if someone decides to shine a light in there then they will see a reasonably accurate representation. But also partly fictional, but it is what it is.

VYIV21.jpg
fTXoRC.jpg

Lick of paint and epoxied in
yy1LhS.jpg

z4kFTJ.jpg

sLbpyO.jpg

Now I have to go back and study some details that I might be better off doing before I glue the lower wing on.  I dont want to damage anything by doing stuff that would have been easier to do when still apart.

Thanks for looking in

Anthony

Oh I forgot, I epoxied the fire wire sections in earlier

xhqR3g.jpg

ktMo4L.jpg

But todays mission after I pluck up the courage and do some more planning is epoxy the wing on!  I spent a large chunk of yesterday getting all the guts to actually fit in.  I was so worried about everything being in the right place and structures where they should be the fit was so tight I had to grind out a lot of unseen stuff with my trusty Dremel which made a MESS!  Anyway I had to remove all masking and dust everything off, thankfully she endured the episode unscathed!

Lets see what today brings!

I've still got her covered in plastic in case any residual dust settled on her overnight...

DtLsWt.jpg

Cheers and I hope you all stay safe and warm over this festive season

Anthony