RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

My experience with the one cockpit so far is that they are pretty robust when on the backing paper, but once removed they become a bit more fragile - particulalry when you need to reposition.  In order to get the pieces adhere strongly Ii had to apply contact cement, but I do believe there are alternative options available that allow for a longer dryng period and therefore the capability to reposition.

2 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

My experience with the one cockpit so far is that they are pretty robust when on the backing paper, but once removed they become a bit more fragile - particulalry when you need to reposition.  In order to get the pieces adhere strongly Ii had to apply contact cement, but I do believe there are alternative options available that allow for a longer dryng period and therefore the capability to reposition.

Aaaah yes good point, I used medium suuperglue as others suggested

Everything still fits!

So this represents a fully converted (Post Mod 406) RAF FG.1 Phantom cockpit as best I can

A2L4dm.jpg

I am looking forward to working on something else after the rudder pedals and a couple of other minor things are glued in....I am sick of the cockpit. But very happy with it!

Cheers Anthony

On 11/19/2022 at 2:40 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

LOL, there is always one :lol:

@Derek B thanks for the images.  That piece on top of the scope panel really stumped me.  It's on some and not others.  Looking closely at XV571 and a couple of other period pics I decided to go with the version I did.

Thanks Buddy, yes the dreaded pet mishaps!  I've lost a few bits n pieces that way too!

Thanks again for your help today mate, Kerry is pretty happy with your assistance

So who knew Phantom Navy rudder pedals were different to Air Force ones?  I didnt.  Kerry surprised me with this fact last week and then after doing a CAD realised Brit ones were different again!

So here are the kit ones

s6eRmS.jpg

This is Kerrys final renderings...they'll hardly be seen, so only we will know.  But I am thrilled to know they are there and accurate

wEbtPU.jpg

z8wj4w.jpg

But I did ask for help with the TESS outside section of the periscope...thanks again!

Tq0eZi.jpg

MQT75A.jpg

JgLqwC.jpg

Big shout out to Rick @Spooky56 for the very detailed set of measurements for this!! Thank you sir

This is a global effort with this project and cant claim much praise for this myself.  You guys here, Britmodeller  and the British Phantom Aviation Preservation and Phantom Builders Facebook groups have humbled me with your collective efforts.  I think I have learned more than I ever imagined about Brit Tooms than I thought I ever would have.  All of you who who have helped me out to this point, a huge "THANK YOU"

So back to plugging away on adding and detailing more in the front office

V5NUyR.jpg

cxdP2l.jpg

I am hoping to get this front tub epoxied in soon

Until then...see you soon

Anthony

Hats off to all who have contributed to Anthony's exceptional build! :clap2:

On 11/22/2022 at 1:36 AM, MARU5137 said:

Yes.. it has begun to get exciting. 

Very nice job so far.

:m0152:

I know mate, I will soon be able to get the wings on hopefully.

On 11/23/2022 at 2:35 AM, Troy Molitor said:

I don't usually follow the Jet builds, but when I do....I usually come here mate! :coolio:    The pits look fantastic Anthony.  

Nawwww thanks mate!  Great having you around still...it's been a long haul so far hasnt it?

On 11/22/2022 at 11:57 AM, IainM said:

Brilliant mate! And you don't like doing cockpits?:lol:
That looks stunning:clap2:

LOL...nope...still dont LOL

On 11/23/2022 at 2:25 PM, amurray said:

Hats off to all who have contributed to Anthony's exceptional build! :clap2:

Hear hear!!!!

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.:wub:

So I have my fingers working again after slicing 3 of them open...one pretty bad.  But I am left handed and the worst one is on my right hand...so off I go!

Kerry's 3D printed Brit Phantom rudder pedals arrived yesterday and I got straight to work...after work

0HsQfk.jpg

Quite an improvement over the kit ones

I was a little worried they wouldn't be seen, but surprisingly they are fairly visible...100% worth the effort, thanks Kerry.  So I sprayed them silver, then grey, added a wash and then buffed them back to practically silver again to simulate wear.

9KhT4c.jpg

And even with the coaming dropped in place

tQkwyQ.jpg

Not wanting to sit around too much I got to work start to make the frames inside the Aux air doors in the back

ANxF3L.jpg

Cheers until next time

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

On 11/29/2022 at 7:20 PM, MikeMaben said:

:speak_cool::popcorn::clap2:

Thanks Mike!

11 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Definite improvement over the original pedals.  :clap2:.  

Absolutely, I was quite impressed 

6 hours ago, John1 said:

I concur on those pedals.   Very nice upgrade over the kit bits.   I’m not familiar with those pedals.    Are the commercially available or just a one-off?

The files for the US Navy and USAF have been sent to Roy at Barracuda.

The British ones I think are going to Ali

Hope this helps 

Cheers Anthony 

On 12/1/2022 at 12:37 AM, MARU5137 said:

:coolio:  :thumbsup:

Rock on Anthony...

:punk:

Thank you sir...yup I am rocking on!

Only a small update 

An air conditioning duct runs around the inside edge of the windscreen with a fishtail type outlet.

I started with 0.20 x 0.40 Evergreen strip around the edge from the front finishing here

31VuXZ.jpg

And little fishtail ends to match photo's little bit of weathering with Tamiya weathering pastels (white) applied with the sponge side of the applicator and a Prismacolour silver pencil to the rear edge

uBTW07.jpg

Windscreen still fits, thats going to need an edge piece put on it at some stage when I use Aerocrafts screen

DSKfvt.jpg

gm5f35.jpg

Still a bit more to go in the front here but...my goodness the camera hides nothing!

Cheers Anthony

Ok so I think I am going to pause on the cockpit for now as I dont want to risk damaging or getting dust inside that I cant remove or fix later.

Just trimmed @Ali62 beautiful front windscreen (perfect fit) and temp sitting in situ.  I am so happy with it.  Of course me being me now...I have added an edging to the rear 'hoop' where the canopy section closes onto and locks and seals. Blended in with a little JB Weld for strength.  There is definitely more to go in the cockpit but it's time to move back to the internals of the fuse so I can get the wing on.

JmbuGE.jpg

1X37oZ.jpg

Cheers Anthony