RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

On 11/12/2022 at 1:09 PM, GMK said:

Loving your work on that cockpit. You’re definitely matching your investment in the cockpit with your efforts on the fuselage. 

Thanks very much, my OCD wont leave it alone LOL

9 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Thanks! I'll give it a go again -> I work in IT so no shortage of power cords to strip for copper :)

Excellent!  Love your A-6 build, absolutely beautiful!

5 hours ago, amurray said:

I may have missed this point earlier in the build but how did you pick out the light gray on the switches against their charcoal gray/black background?  Did you paint the switches individually or do the detail sets come pre-painted?

Most of the panels are from Quinta Studios, I cut all the grey  sections off as well as some individual panels that weren't right for a Brit one. See those 3D printed panels made me look better than I am actually capable of.  Any other parts were 3D printed or scratchbuilt and and I used 'Squinta' with a bright light and magnifier and tiny brush...

4 hours ago, Scale32 said:

I just can't get over the patience you've got! I mean it's amazing what you've done so far with all the mods.

Cheers Bevan 

Thanks Bevan, as I mentioned before, I think its the aftermarket that makes it look so good, not my skills.

Cheers guys!

Anthony

Ok so this is where things get a bit ugly.  I have studied the FG.1 coaming as best I can and have run out of brain cells, so this is best I can tell what it is supposed to look like

Stage 2 bits of plastic card and filler

EwzEnA.jpg

A bit more plastic card and sanding/sculpting

nqjzgM.jpg

And underneath

2QZwD9.jpg

As I said, this set of posts are for those contemplating the same build.  Note though that this is a 'late mod' RAF FG.1 coaming, the RN ones were different again

Still a lot of cleaning up before Mr Surfacer to see where I need to fix

As always thanks for stopping by

Cheers Anthony

On 11/14/2022 at 6:49 AM, Landrotten Highlander said:

Kinky.....

Ii'll get me coat...

LOL, there is always one :lol:

@Derek B thanks for the images.  That piece on top of the scope panel really stumped me.  It's on some and not others.  Looking closely at XV571 and a couple of other period pics I decided to go with the version I did.

9 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

Stunning work mate, she's looking superb!

On the subject of pet-induced airframe mods - I have an Airfix 1/72 Gnat and Corgi 1/72 Spitfire XIV (which was a gift!) which have suffered such indignities...their respective vertical fin and prop will never be the same!

Thanks Buddy, yes the dreaded pet mishaps!  I've lost a few bits n pieces that way too!

Thanks again for your help today mate, Kerry is pretty happy with your assistance

So who knew Phantom Navy rudder pedals were different to Air Force ones?  I didnt.  Kerry surprised me with this fact last week and then after doing a CAD realised Brit ones were different again!

So here are the kit ones

s6eRmS.jpg

This is Kerrys final renderings...they'll hardly be seen, so only we will know.  But I am thrilled to know they are there and accurate

wEbtPU.jpg

z8wj4w.jpg

But I did ask for help with the TESS outside section of the periscope...thanks again!

Tq0eZi.jpg

MQT75A.jpg

JgLqwC.jpg

Big shout out to Rick @Spooky56 for the very detailed set of measurements for this!! Thank you sir

This is a global effort with this project and cant claim much praise for this myself.  You guys here, Britmodeller  and the British Phantom Aviation Preservation and Phantom Builders Facebook groups have humbled me with your collective efforts.  I think I have learned more than I ever imagined about Brit Tooms than I thought I ever would have.  All of you who who have helped me out to this point, a huge "THANK YOU"

So back to plugging away on adding and detailing more in the front office

V5NUyR.jpg

cxdP2l.jpg

I am hoping to get this front tub epoxied in soon

Until then...see you soon

Anthony

20 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Front Office is looking mighty IMPRESSIVE. 

Splendiferous  work. its all rather very good !!

:yahoo:

Rock On Anthony !

:punk: :punk:

Thank you sir!!!

15 hours ago, Michael931080 said:

Very nice renders of the periscope!  I was wondering how you were going to tackle this piece of the cockpit puzzle.

I know, isn't he clever, I am priviliged to have such a great friend who shares my passion

14 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Just to prove it's a small world, the brother of a friend of mine used to be a Toom navigator in this squadron. His aircraft is now preserved in the Battle of Britain hangar at Duxford.  

Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Chris.  

Oh hey Chris, that is a great story!  I bet he's go some great ones too!  My pleasure to share this build

Just waiting on the epoxy to cure with the front tub now fitted

ivL70Y.jpg

Cheers Anthony

On 11/13/2022 at 12:58 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

Most of the panels are from Quinta Studios.......

Cheers guys!

Anthony

Hey Anthony....just curious, how tough are the Quinta parts? I'd like to get them off their backing paper as I work on my F-105G, but don't want to remove them and ruin them if they need to be applied quick and can't handle being shoved around test fitting parts. 

50 minutes ago, Brett M said:

Hey Anthony....just curious, how tough are the Quinta parts? I'd like to get them off their backing paper as I work on my F-105G, but don't want to remove them and ruin them if they need to be applied quick and can't handle being shoved around test fitting parts. 

They seem pretty robust, I’d say you shouldn’t have any issues….still be careful though.