RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

On 3/31/2022 at 12:03 PM, KiwiZac said:

Definitely still here and reading each and every update!

Thanks buddy!

Well I thought I should update Ya'all as I have been a bit quiet with updates.  The truth is I havent done a lot as I have mostly been studying the rear cockpit of a late mod RAF FG.1.  As you can imagine these gals got lots of mods and upgrades over their service life.  And I want her to be as correct as practical now I have gone this deep into getting it accurate.

So with some bits of the B Box cockpit removed from the 'tub' and sidewall, I needed to replace some missing wires.  I have also test fitted and trimmed it to fit the fuselage and added a couple of details on the rear fairing face.  probably the best thing to show at this point is the paint going on the resin.

Now...as you know I hate doing cockpits and this aint going to be any Michelangelo that's for sure.  I am going to try some new things and base it on some of my old methods.  lets see what happens I guess!

I like black basing as it gives me a variation in tone that to me looks pleasing to the eye.  Much like I did on my wheel wells I guess.  So I laid the black down with Mr Color semi-gloss black and now I am building up the grey tones with Mr Color #11 'Light Gull grey'  As you can see it still looks quite dark, but I am far from finished.  I have a few things to glue in now,  then can continue building the grey  tones.  I have been reading loads of articles and studying what you guys have been doing here.  Anyway, here are some pics, remember it's still a bit dark at this stage as the accents etc aren't added yet.

bNqCvp.jpg

You cant really see the tonal variations under artificial light but it's there, remembering this is the base

bsMbI9.jpg

DEOUKw.jpg

J6OWvF.jpg

Still a looooong way to go yet, but I thought I should prove I am actually doing something....

8 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

I am still here watching you too.

:coolio:

each update is  outstanding. 

Your workmanship  is EXCEPTIONAL. 

:bow:

And assistance from Derek and Pete et al is really lovely to see.

:bow:

Nice having you around my friend.  Thank you as always for your encouragement!

40 minutes ago, IainM said:

Nice!!!! :popcorn::clap2:

Thanks Iain, I guess if I stuff it up  can close the canopy and paint the perspex light blue?? :D

Thanks again chaps, hopefully the next update will have more to show

Anthony

On 4/4/2022 at 7:55 AM, Greg W said:

Great start on the cockpit! That last pic really shows off the exceptional work on top of the modified intakes too. 

Thanks Greg!  I  see what you mean about the intakes.  Yeah they look alright dont they?  Still happy with how they came out considering how much I modified them

On 4/4/2022 at 8:07 AM, Violator1991 said:

Great cockpit!!

Thank you!  Well at least it is a start, lets hope you still say that at the end LOL

10 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Great start Anthony!! As always great work!!

Thanks my friend, I appreciate your encouragement as always

Been quite sidetracked this week with 1/32 RNZAF Skyhawk stuff so been a little slow this week

An interesting fact whilst I was doing the paint wear on the cockpit sills is that there is Yellow Zinc Chromate paint under the US airframes as in the J(UK) and silver wear under the Spey ones (later on in their service life at least,that is).  They were probably yellow when delivered. though.  So mine will have silver showing under the wear and not yellow, just an FYI on my observation

Cheers Anthony

On 3/29/2022 at 10:51 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Yep, I think we just have all the die-hard Phantom Phanatics left following this build!

Nice to see you still around 

Sorry, Anthony. I call bullsh$t on your previous statement. I check your thread all the time. I have been busy restoring the full size birds in my shop. Loving the work here dude! By the way, how is the Taylorcraft coming?

Thor   

On 4/8/2022 at 11:13 AM, bdthoresen said:

Sorry, Anthony. I call bullsh$t on your previous statement. I check your thread all the time. I have been busy restoring the full size birds in my shop. Loving the work here dude! By the way, how is the Taylorcraft coming?

Thor   

Hahaha.... well I never! The Auster has slowed a little.  I have an ace upholsterer I am now waiting on to put the military green interior in and then its time to cover.

Nice to hear from you buddy.  Hows yours?

21 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Still here  too.

keep checking almost everyday.

will be back  soon.

Phantom  lover.

:wub:

:thumbsup:

LOL, ok I was wrong.  I thought because it was dragging on so long people would be bored

I better post something whilst I am here

I have sprayed the sills black, silver, black/grey and slowly with a micromesh 6000 cloth buffed it back.  A little more on the left where the crew ingress and egress and where the ladders hook on.  I might later use my prisma silver pencil to put a few scratches where appropiate.

ncx7tR.jpg

WDTKpv.jpg

ULtx42.jpg

Back to working on the rear tub this weekend

Cheers Anthony

On 4/9/2022 at 1:54 PM, IainM said:

She is looking splendid!!
You have done such a great job in getting it to this stage :clap2:Carry on sir, carry on!!!

Thanks buddy, I am struggling though

Cant believe the hours just gone into this today...talk about 50 shades of grey :whistle:

Still a lot to go in the rear pit, including some placards and a couple of stencils......tough to photograph at night.  Anyhoo, I am conquering my fears!

VgwELQ.jpg

DY0uXI.jpg

As you can see in this last photo there is still a lot to do with some more wear with the silver pencil/paint and washes.  I have just got to try not to overdo it

Thanks for looking in guys

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

On 4/9/2022 at 2:49 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

I might later use my prisma silver pencil to put a few scratches where appropiate.

Cheers Anthony

Excellent work (as always) Anthony. Thake care where you add the metallic weathering on your cockpit sills, as those rain channel strips are made of hard rubber! :)

Cheers

Derek

On 3/30/2022 at 4:51 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

Yep, I think we just have all the die-hard Phantom Phanatics left following this build!

Nice to see you still around 

I really enjoy reading your updates, the steps really help show how to get to a certain result!

Truthfully, I'm not even a true Phantom Phanatic -though I do like the aircraft. :)

I made a combo order with a fellow modeller with AOA decals recently and somehow ended up with set of 1/32 Phantom decals in my order! :blink:

Currently I'm preparing a 1/72 F-4J-to-S model as a paint practice for my A-6A, however, I kind of mis-judged the amount of work to get to a better "S"  rather than just adding different outer wings :D

Jeroen

On 4/10/2022 at 7:56 AM, Derek B said:

Excellent work (as always) Anthony. Thake care where you add the metallic weathering on your cockpit sills, as those rain channel strips are made of hard rubber! :)

Cheers

Derek

Oooh, good to know!   I assume that those strips are on the outer edge of the sills?