RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

More great progress Anthony, it's like the proverbial elephant: one bite at a time!

9 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

LOL, I did....I've set myself on fire twice, once ended up with my wife in hospital!  That time I left the gas on too long before I struck a match because it wouldnt start!

Sheesh....some mothers do have em :D

Remind me to suggest pizza or fish and chips when I stay with you guys!!

4 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

More great progress Anthony, it's like the proverbial elephant: one bite at a time!

Remind me to suggest pizza or fish and chips when I stay with you guys!!

You're welcome to stay anytime.  Either you can use the BBQ or be ready with the hose :blowup:

15 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

LOL, I did....I've set myself on fire twice, once ended up with my wife in hospital!  That time I left the gas on too long before I struck a match because it wouldnt start!

Sheesh....some mothers do have em :D

Wheel well structures are done and I sprayed Mr Surfacer on them last night.  In the meantime Kerry has helped me out with a tricky piece

He was going to make me thread the wire myself!

n8qlEB.jpg

@Gene Khas been busy too....

aaQ8Ak.jpg

slEdST.jpg

gLVhnM.jpg

Gene has been working really hard on these.  He has been extensively using photos and factory drawings to achieve this.  This is the final incarnation of the lower outer wing strengthening mods as used on Brit Tooms.  There is a whole development/history on these when you dig deeper.  Thanks Gene, I am indebted to your help and expertise.

I will update the wheel wells progress on the weekend.  Getting close to plumbing them

Cheers Anthony

Good stuff from Kerry and Gene :) :thumbsup:

Those reinforced outer wing panels were a life enhancement modification. When they were returned to works (RTW - British Aerospace) for the 100FI life enhancement programme, we installed new built outer wings panels, which provided an additional 25FI of life to the wings. 

In the meantime, I am battling on with the Trumpeter 1/32 EE Lightning...

Cheers

Derek

8 hours ago, Derek B said:

Good stuff from Kerry and Gene :) :thumbsup:

Those reinforced outer wing panels were a life enhancement modification. When they were returned to works (RTW - British Aerospace) for the 100FI life enhancement programme, we installed new built outer wings panels, which provided an additional 25FI of life to the wings. 

In the meantime, I am battling on with the Trumpeter 1/32 EE Lightning...

Cheers

Derek

Thanks Derek!

Where is your build?  I will go have a look as I am always inspired watching your work...Plus the Lightning is a plane I very much like

Better not waste a post without an update from earlier in the weeks work at night.

Wheel well in progress.  Lots of little ribs, flanges and doublers in first

mE5a0B.jpg

4z0blJ.jpg

8fZ50d.jpg

Mr Surfacer on to see where I need to tidy up

ghIWKg.jpg

7SLOiD.jpg

I'm just tidying a few gaps n cracks then on to rivets and hydraulic rams and a couple of small details

Than plumbing

Cheers guys

Anthony

Cheers Anthony

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Derek!

Where is your build?  I will go have a look as I am always inspired watching your work...Plus the Lightning is a plane I very much like

Hi Anthony,

Nice work on those undercarriage bays :thumbsup:

I have been a member here on LSP for 17 years (Sept 2004), and have yet to build and complete my first 1/32 kit! (something I am definitely in danger of doing with my current Lightning build! :) ).

The kit I am making is the Trumpeter 1/32 EE Lightning F.2A/F.6 kit - it is a build for a friend of mine. I actually started it 6 years ago (2015), but since then I have been busy with work, moving home and (just recently) completed a full resin kit master pattern of an Avro Lincoln, so have been unable to continue with it until now. When completed, the model will represent the LPG EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904.

904%2004.jpg

As this kit is not for me, and it will have the canopy closed, I am not going to go made with detailing or corrections. However, apart from the windscreen and canopy corrections, which I have assessed as too difficult to do on this particular kit at least, I will be able to probably correct about 95% of the kit inaccuracies. I had originally assembled and painted the cockpit parts and ejection seat, but was not satisfied with the way the cockpit paint came out, so I have ripped it apart and started again (I am currently adding additional detail to the cockpit - not completely 'full on' details, but much better than the kit offers - so I shall provide an update soon).

Cheers

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Just letting Y'all know I am still alive and have actually been busy working on the wheel wells....plumbing at the moment right now.  Probably dosent look like it but there are about a million pieces of plastic card, raised rivets and hyd fittings (all pre drilled where I can as well).

C1HWbH.jpg

2skeoU.jpg

I've Black based them and been slowly building up the white for depth.  White lines are going in at the moment ready for a final coat of white then some silver and black ones to finish off

Getting there

Cheers Anthony

On 2/4/2022 at 10:08 PM, Derek B said:

Good stuff Anthony, I love it! (all that scratch building of parts takes time, so no sweat).

Derek

Thanks Derek, this work has certainly brought this area to life.  As you say, takes time!

On 2/4/2022 at 10:59 PM, MARU5137 said:

Hello Anthony,

Super scratchbuilding and with precision too.

:yahoo:   :clap2:

Your modelling is a perfect example  of Meticulous  detailing and exacting work.

and you are so humble about your capabilities.

Thank you for sharing your work with us.

I appreciate  it.

:thumbsup:

:bow:  :bow:

Thank you Sir!  I know you appreciate it and I appreciate your positive feedback....really helps motivate me!

On 2/4/2022 at 11:05 PM, Starfighter said:

It sure looks like a lot of work - rest assured it's worth the effort. Keep up the brilliant work! 

Sure is, and glad I wont be doing another Phantom after this :blink:.  The plumbing layer going in is looking really good, a real three dimensional look to such a busy area.

Thank you

On 2/5/2022 at 3:17 AM, vvwse4 said:

Hi Anthony

Really nice, it will look great when finished. Never doubted you were not working on this one.

Thanks Rick, This bit has taken longer than expected

22 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

Bravo Ants, I always enjoy seeing a new progress post from you :popcorn:

Thanks buddy!  Great having you around LSP too

17 hours ago, IainM said:

Nice to see you still at it @Anthony in NZ! Too wet to do anything outside :lol:

Thanks Iain, still chipping away, nothing much else to do with weather like this outside!

Thank you all, I hope to post a pic soon of a load of plumbing  getting close to finishing the front sections

Cheers guys

Anthony

3 minutes ago, Michael931080 said:

Anthony,

just wondering but I may have missed it.  Have you posted the link for cutting the belly strap anywhere?

Thanks Greatly,

Michael

Hi Michael

I will tag @Gene Kand see where he is with the link.  I am not sure as he sent me cut samples to test after his numerous fine tunes...

Cheers Anthony