RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

2 hours ago, Squizzy said:

Watching builds like this makes me start planning future builds, amazing work Anthony!!!

Excellent!  That's what it's all about

Paint on.  Tried not to get too fussy here.  Started with a black base then built up with 3 shades of green.  This area got filthy, and worn.  I wont go silly in there but after I do a little wash, silver prisma pencil I should be all good to go to add plumbing....eeek

9Uhj6c.jpg

MdHllA.jpg

mFHtCQ.jpg

In the above pic the green looks quite bright, but it dosent look quite that bright in real life.  Maybe because its shown 10x bigger on my screen than the actual kit?

Anyway I might have a lie down and think about wiring and plumbing

Cheers Anthony (who's been on a roll today!)

8 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Anthony,

Your painting looks good from here.

The green doesn't look garish on MY cell phone screen.

Looks pale.

GOOD job...

:thumbsup:

Rock on  Anthony.

:punk:   :punk:

Thanks mate!  Nice to have some confirmation.

If anyone can help, I am looking for these bits....

Cheers Anthony

As I mentioned in my earlier post I decided to move onto the wheel wells and undercarriage

I decided that The way Tamiya have us mount the main gear is quite fictional.  So after pouring over photos I decided it was worth upgrading them (whilst I sort these Aux door  interiors out.  Mostly in my head:blink:)

I wont go into too much detail except you can pretty much where I am going here.  I removed the big square lugs on the lower wing section, most of the cross member beam crossing the wells and am starting on the legs.  I left the tie down lug on as many of you who cut them off and added wire wondered if it was worth the effort.  So I took your advice and scratched/carved an undercut around it to try and represent it sitting on top. A piece of Evergreen tube in my spares box matched the leg dia perfectly and I think I am on the right track.  Because it is tube on the gear leg,I will put a 'peg' on the upper wing to securely locate the leg on top of the peg.  Just need to measure the other side before I cut that out so I can get the centre of the wheel hub the correct dist to the wing surface.

Anyway, here is where I am at...just feeling my way right now as I am not sure what I am doing.  It's all a bit experimantal (like everything on this build!

Hang on, I thought I wasnt going to say much:rolleyes:

PANPTA.jpg

A4LEZ2.jpg

Thanks for tuning in as always

Cheers Anthony

6 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks for tuning in as always

Thank you for sharing! It's amazing to see the lengths you're going to in order to truly capture a Brit Phantom. It's also surprising to hear Tamiya got the gear so wrong.

8 hours ago, Scale32 said:

This is epic!

Cheers Bevan 

Thanks Bevan.  I figured if I am going to do it I might as well do it properly, even if it takes a bit longer

3 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

Thank you for sharing! It's amazing to see the lengths you're going to in order to truly capture a Brit Phantom. It's also surprising to hear Tamiya got the gear so wrong.

Thanks Zac, yes these early Tamiya offerings are a world away from what they produce now.  But still very good in my opinion

Cheers

Anthony

Not a lot to report, but it's a new day.  But I decided in the interests of getting the wheel wells done nice and cleanly I would cut this part out of the fuselage paint Mule 

SKgSp4.jpg

Trim neatly to fit

a2d4oO.jpg

This being the result....much tidier I think?  Now I think I can continue on (both sides now done) and add rib detail

yEGPna.jpg

Lets see what today brings, but my wife thinks I am neglecting some jobs around the house that need tending to before I go back to work......:fraidnot:

Cheers Anthony

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Maybach_man said:

Hi Anthony.. the front of the Spey is between F.S. 303.62 and F.S. 312.90. angled up at  degrees 45 mins

Thank you sir!  I have the station right, I just fine tuning the face angle, I think I am there

In the meantime I have been back at work and so progress has slowed.  Although to be fair, this bit is tedious.  So I am building up the rib structure in the wheel wells ready for plumbing.  All the rear face is done, the ends and just the front face to go. These ribs take ages

RtGO0G.jpg

Mounting ring for the undercarriage legs marked out and positioned.  More on that later...

Upper wing test fitting, seems to all interlock well

4qmJlp.jpg

wlVekj.jpg

Needed a change of pace so fixed the size and shape of the bulge above the U/C pintle

SftPxh.jpg

There is still a lot of corrections and details to add to the upper surface, but I better get back to this lower wing before I get to that.  But it was a nice change of scenery!

As always chaps, thanks for tuning in

Anthony

6 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

You keep amazing me with details I completely overlooked!!! This is great.

I cant always take the credit mate, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people out there who have shared their awesome knowledge with me.  So I am passing it on so others can benefit their builds.  I am doing a lot more than I envisaged myself!

6 hours ago, Phil Smith said:

Excellent. I very much appreciate this level of Zen modeling.

Thanks Phil, I appreciate that coming from a man of your skills.  That Tamiya Mustang engine and cockpit on your build is looking awesome!

4 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Same here, this is a fantastic example of achieving the definitive RAF Spey Toom. Mine is in the final stages of completion over on LSM but nowhere in the same league as Anthony's.

Thanks cees, but I LOVE your Toom and your build over there has really inspired me to push on, I do like the cammo scheme you have chosen, very nice.

For some reason I cant log in to comment on your build as I am logged out and cant recover my password.  I think I must have used an earlier email address when I set my acct up as I dont even get a reply from the reset...

Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback immensely!  This turned into a bigger challenge than I thought it might be.  But much of that is my own doing.  I dont really need to rebuild the wheel wells, or aux air intake lower door interiors, and no one will probably ever notice the lower nose contour, but I am enjoying it too much not to get it right now.

Watch out soon as our own awesome @Gene K  has just finished making up the outer wing stiffening plates that were so prominent on the lower wing sections.  I cant wait to show you his work...thank you sir, I am indebetted for your research and skills to produce a 'late mod' outer wing  panel structural set that was on the Brit Tooms!

Going to BBQ up a bacon and egg breakfast for the family as its a stunning morning here.  Just as long as I dont set myself on fire like I did once before LOL

Cheers guys

Anthony

On 1/16/2022 at 4:11 PM, KiwiZac said:

Bravo Anthony...if you survived the barbie!!

LOL, I did....I've set myself on fire twice, once ended up with my wife in hospital!  That time I left the gas on too long before I struck a match because it wouldnt start!

Sheesh....some mothers do have em :D

Wheel well structures are done and I sprayed Mr Surfacer on them last night.  In the meantime Kerry has helped me out with a tricky piece

He was going to make me thread the wire myself!

n8qlEB.jpg

@Gene Khas been busy too....

aaQ8Ak.jpg

slEdST.jpg

gLVhnM.jpg

Gene has been working really hard on these.  He has been extensively using photos and factory drawings to achieve this.  This is the final incarnation of the lower outer wing strengthening mods as used on Brit Tooms.  There is a whole development/history on these when you dig deeper.  Thanks Gene, I am indebted to your help and expertise.

I will update the wheel wells progress on the weekend.  Getting close to plumbing them

Cheers Anthony