RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

I love seeing big bolts like that on airframes. You know it means they’re no longer messing around. Like grabbing a breaker bar for the ol’ wrench. Engineering at its simplest. Cracks forming? Wings flexing? Bolt/pound a bunch of rivets on a really long strap of metal and call it good. she had enough thrust to overcome the parasitic drag, so add a few more bolts while you’re at it for good measure…

Can’t wait to see it all under primer. Hope you’re having a Merry Christmas!

-Peter

On 12/24/2021 at 3:11 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

... @Gene K for spending many hours and multiple revisions to get these strengthening plates accurate, there are 6 pieces in total. 

The reason for "multiple revisions" was that as I was preparing the Silhouette cutter files, my references, including "scale" drawings from multiple sources like this, didn't quite match available after-market sets in various scales (Nautilus, Hypersonic, GTR, Flying Leatherneck, and ScalePhantomPhixer), nor photos like those in the excellent DACO book Rick highlighted above, nor with Mr. Google.  :blush: I also scaled up scans from the 1/72 Airfix Brit Phantom as well as the 1/48 Zukei Mura F-4S for comparison. The most useful drawings were those posted from Navy F-4 Phantom Tech Manuals as shown here.

There are some good discussions on LSP concerning the straps here and here, as well as in Chuck's outstanding build from 2013.

Thanks, Anthony, for sharing your modeling perfection in such great detail. Just amazing!!

Gene K

Thanks @vvwse4.  They are really good photos.  On seeing those it confirms to me what a brilliant job @Gene K has done.  I still have the centre piece to put on top of the main plate but I am just getting a nice tidy edge where it is glued on.  Interestingly the Brit ones had a lot of PEC type filler all around these plates, but on other photos they look very clean like these ones you posted. 

Here is where I am at

e5WKAt.jpg

NBMl2s.jpg

And have started working on the structure inside the Aux air doors...

62isCZ.jpg

Cheers Anthony

3 minutes ago, Gene K said:

The reason for "multiple revisions" was that as I was preparing the Silhouette cutter files, my references, including "scale" drawings from multiple sources like this, didn't quite match available after-market sets in various scales (Nautilus, Hypersonic, GTR, Flying Leatherneck, and ScalePhantomPhixer), nor photos like those in the excellent DACO book Rick highlighted above, nor with Mr. Google.  :blush: I also scaled up scans from the 1/72 Airfix Brit Phantom as well as the 1/48 Zukei Mura F-4S for comparison. The most useful drawings were those posted from Navy F-4 Phantom Tech Manuals as shown here.

There are some good discussions on LSP concerning the straps here and here, as well as in Chuck's outstanding build from 2013.

Thanks, Anthony, for sharing your modeling perfection in such great detail. Just amazing!!

Gene K

No....thank you Gene.  You have really found some interesting details and your perseverence to get them accurate has really paid off!!

On 12/26/2021 at 1:26 AM, DonH said:

Looks great Anthony. 
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Thanks Don!  Hoe you are getting some good modelling time in over the Xmas/new Year holidays?

On 12/26/2021 at 1:56 AM, easixpedro said:

I love seeing big bolts like that on airframes. You know it means they’re no longer messing around. Like grabbing a breaker bar for the ol’ wrench. Engineering at its simplest. Cracks forming? Wings flexing? Bolt/pound a bunch of rivets on a really long strap of metal and call it good. she had enough thrust to overcome the parasitic drag, so add a few more bolts while you’re at it for good measure…

Can’t wait to see it all under primer. Hope you’re having a Merry Christmas!

-Peter

Peter, I have to admit I love seeing things that should be on a Tank rather than an airframe too.  Means they ment business when they fitted them...LOL love your description!

Cheers Anthnoy

9 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

That looks brilliant, bravo Ant and Gene!

Thanks Zac, and of course thanks Gene from me also!

9 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Always good to see more updates on this one, Anthony. Great work as always!

Kev

Thanks Kev, I am pleased you are hanging in there with this with me!

Quick snap before bed.  Tonights efforts are sorting the thrust line of the Spey and setting the engine section angles and heights.  But I soon realized the intake trunking went too far back and I had to get my cutter out and move them forward about 8mm. This took the fan front to the correct station frame.  How I got the station frame wrong I dont know, but its right now and the engine fronts look much better further forward. And Kerry's lovely CAD engines are more visible.

Anyhoo.... off to bed

mSwEH4.jpg

11 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Anthony  

Super updates and those reinforcement  plates are perfect !

:goodjob:

....impressive  workmanship and you are showing us all some fantastic 

methods and techniques. 

:clap2:

STUNNING  looking conversion so far.

:bow:

May your New Year Be Happy, Healthy and a prosperous  one.

Be safe.

:popcorn:

Thank you so much!  Love your thoughts and encouragement 

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

Anthony, I know this may be late to the party, but I know that Masterclub and Meng both offer various sized bolts/rivets in their lines. Could produce the look you want instead of having to go through the work of sanding plastic rod to look like a bolt.

Matt 

Thanks, I thought of that Matt, but shipping to NZ from the US is almost impossible right now and I cant wait.....I probably should have.

Please somebody stop me!  Most of this will barely be seen.... @Archer Fine Transfers you have me trapped in your vortex of products!

drkCgN.jpg

Cheers Anthony