RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

On 12/5/2021 at 1:49 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

I am probably not going to add detail into the missile recesses as I will have 'Drill Rounds' fitted and wont be seen.

Here you can see where a lot of the time has gone in reworking the belly and the surface details added.

Hi Anthony,

Massive amount of work there my friend, well done.

AFAIK, most RAF Phantoms only installed 'Drill rounds' (the inert blue Sparrow bodies) in the forward locations only (for C of G requirements) - I will have to check this out to be certain?

Cheers

Derek

1334888-large.jpg

This is what I would have considered to be a more typical 'fit' for every day operations (although the baggage pod wouldn't be, but as it also has an ACMI pod installed as well, it may be on deployment for air combat practice somewhere?). As a QRF aircraft, quite a few had live Skyshadow missiles installed, so this could be an option?

Derek

Edited by Derek B

8 hours ago, Derek B said:

AFAIK, most RAF Phantoms only installed 'Drill rounds' (the inert blue Sparrow bodies) in the forward locations only (for C of G requirements) - I will have to check this out to be certain?

Thanks Derek, do you think it might be a possibility that there might have been the 'blue body' shapes in the front and inert or live missiles in the rear?

I am thinking of adding a SUU-23 on the c/l  as well.  I am still figuring out what my options for an accurate load out might be too.

1 hour ago, Smeds said:

We sure did. There was a dayglo cross on the right hand side of the front undercarriage door for quick harmonisation of the gun.

Yes I am thinking of putting an SUU-23 on the centreline if I can find a Wolfpack one.  If not I will just put a centreline tank on.  Thanks for the mote on the dayglo cross on the door, that is something I had never noticed before!

Cheers guys

On 12/5/2021 at 8:37 AM, tomprobert said:

Loving your work here, Anthony. The surface detailing is superb. 

I’ve decided I am going to do a Spey conversion myself soon - I have the burner cans ready and also the Cutting Edge decal sheet for as many Brit Phantoms as you can imagine - I do fancy a RN version.

I’m going to go down old fashioned plastic card and filler route however, so this build will be my ‘go-to’ reference when I begin. I have already resigned myself to the fact mine will not get close to the standard of yours, but there’s no harm in dreaming!

This really is inspirational stuff - thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Tom

Are you going to convert your large vac formed one?

20 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Derek, do you think it might be a possibility that there might have been the 'blue body' shapes in the front and inert or live missiles in the rear?

I am thinking of adding a SUU-23 on the c/l  as well.  I am still figuring out what my options for an accurate load out might be too.

Smeds may be able to confirm this, but I am not aware of RAF Phantoms carrying both SUU-23 and Sparrow/Skyflash missiles at the same time, as they were for completely different roles? (they probably do it on museum aircraft because it looks cool!).

Derek 

EDIT:

I looked at many images and sometimes, the cannon is installed on FG.1 aircraft, the rest of the stations are pretty clear. For FG.1 aircraft, the 'classic' UK QRA 'interceptor' weapons fit (which I understand is the primary role) is 4 x Sparrow/Skyflash, 4 x sidewinder and a centre line fuel tank (although the SUU-23 cannon could be available) Images generally show the RAF FG.1 aircraft configured as above, but without any centreline store installed (FGR.2 QRA aircraft seem to have the centreline tank fitted more frequently, especially Falklands aircraft).

However, it looks like the combinations you have stated could be fitted to any of the RAF Phantom aircraft, so the option is yours? (I have seen one image of a FGR.2 aircraft with inert sparrows in the two front stations and live Skyflash in the aft ones!).

F-4K Phantom FG.1 XT874 BE on final approach to land on ru… | Flickr

Derek

Edited by Derek B

19 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

jgrRi7f.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

I might go with 4 Skyflash, 2 Sgt Fletcher tanks, SUU-23 and a couple of Winders. I will do them as inert/drill ones as I would quite like o fit a Bandit Resin Luggage pod.

This is just a quick one before a bigger one on the weekend hopefully But if I dont mention it now I will likely forget.

I was marking out panels. rivets and fasteners on the belly when I noticed the shape of the pylon fwd attach points must be a different shape as they werent lining up with the structure underneath. So I changed that to be more accurate

pUumIZ.jpg

Double checking photos also highlighted the (Brit ones at least) had a spacer on the outboard mount.  The reason I mention this is that I have seen discussion and photos of US ones with the pylon cantered slightly outward perpendicular (right angles)to the lower surface. At least the Brit Tooms werent it seems.  I have punched a couple .10 thou discs and this is the result.  This also now matches photos where there is a rubber seal between the pylon and wing surface which seems to fill the resultant gap.  Once the wing straps/doublers are on I will understand this fitment a little better.

Best I mention it now in case I forget later on  

q70xBa.jpg

I am going to lightly 'ding' the tanks as they seem to have got a little rough by the end of the Tooms service life.

Right-O back to it gents....

Cheers Anthony (with hopefully a better update on the weekend?)

9 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

How about the over the top beefy 6x Matra 155 loadout? Esp since Reskit makes those rocket pods.

Loving the progress!

Marcel

Yeah they were pretty cool werent they!  I need to build another one! LOL

8 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Anthony 

Super duper work updates. 

Looking AWESOME. 

:punk:

Rock  On Anthony... you are just nailing this.

Masterful workmanship.

:bow:

Thank you Maru, as always I love your encouragement!

7 hours ago, Talon said:

F-4 outboard pylons were able to be canted - they had adjustments which allowed the angle of incidence to the wing to change. A good example are the USAF F-4Gs which had the pylons vertical when carrying drop tanks and angled outward when carrying AGM-88 HARM.

Aaaaah, now there you go.  I didnt know that!  Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers guys

Anthony