RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Anthony.  You are totally crazy, but in a good way!  All these tiny differences between the Brit and US made Phantoms are not really noticeable to most observers, but when you point them out, like the above nose cone, they are quite significant.  Go Anthony go!  I know this project is taking forever, but it sure looks like it's going to be worth it.

Cheers,

Chuck

6 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Anthony.  You are totally crazy, but in a good way!  All these tiny differences between the Brit and US made Phantoms are not really noticeable to most observers, but when you point them out, like the above nose cone, they are quite significant.  Go Anthony go!  I know this project is taking forever, but it sure looks like it's going to be worth it.

Cheers,

Chuck

LOL thanks Chuck, I will take that as a compliment coming from someone who is also one Lol.  

Thanks again, means a lot coming from someone as talented as you

1 hour ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Taking notes as I have obtained one of those conversion kits mentioned somewhere in this thread :D

Atta boy!  Put your request in for more Brit Toom stuff from Ali if you want it.  I am sure if he gets enough interest in stuff he will do them

Thanks guys....back to it

12 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Your on the downhill slide now Anthony. Those little details sure do make the project.

Yes mate I am..... there was no way I could have done that with a delicate cockpit fitted at there was some serious cutting and twisting to do this and get the lower wing to sit nicely

4 hours ago, jenshb said:

Looking at the top profile of the nose, it seems to be sloping more than the Tamiya kit as well...

Yes I think you are right, now I have looked at it. Thanks!

Ok so this was a big milestone for me, getting the lower wing to fit without needing 10 tons of pressure to hold it in place and not violently spring apart and make terrible cracking and pinging sounds!

Here she sits just gently placed on to.  The lower wing pulls nicely up the the lower fuse/wheel well connection with hardly any pressure.  This was a big job as it turned out.  But really all it was , was taking time to see where all the friction/touch points were that were getting in the way, and it fits nicely...phew!

Still some tweaking to go around the rear pipes but nothing too difficult

There was no way I could have done this with the cockpit fitted as there was some serious twisting/bending and hammering to get to this point

o6a0Ks.jpg

ag62Jw.jpg

Oh well, back to work now for the week.  I am surprised I even got this much done with all the visitors we had over the weekend, and going out for dinner last night etc.

Wasn't there a comment on here that the radome was identical between all short nose Phantoms (disregarding the presence or absence of the IR sensor fairing)?  That's what put me on it.  However, is the Tamiya C/D/J nose correct and accurate for these versions, or another shape inaccuracy with the kit?  If the slope of the nose of the British Phantoms is different from the US versions, would that be to accommodatea higher angle of attack on take off and approach?

Edited by jenshb

9 hours ago, jenshb said:

Wasn't there a comment on here that the radome was identical between all short nose Phantoms (disregarding the presence or absence of the IR sensor fairing)?  That's what put me on it.  However, is the Tamiya C/D/J nose correct and accurate for these versions, or another shape inaccuracy with the kit?  If the slope of the nose of the British Phantoms is different from the US versions, would that be to accommodatea higher angle of attack on take off and approach?

As far as I am aware the Radome should be the same on Brit and US Short nosed Phantoms.  That might be something @Jennings Heilig might be able to clarify?  Potentially this means the short nose Tamiya Phantoms all suffer the same issue...  But in all fairness it's not very noticeable. I am sure most wouldnt know unless it was pointed out.

Cheers Anthony 

9 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

Looking absolutely superb! And I won’t ever look at my short-nosed Tamiya F-4 the same...

Cheers,

Marcel

Awww I am sorry mate....maybe @Ali62 could do a short nose Phantom correction?  I have the DJ Parkins one but feel it still needs tweaking, hence me doing this myself.

Cheers and keep up the great work on the Intruder!

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Tease.

Seriously, more lumps and bumps to sort? you really don't want to work on this cockpit do you? B)

In all seriousness, more please. Going through withdrawals. 

Yeah, C’mon Anthony. It’s time to get into the pit. Quit stalling. You managed to nail the exterior fuselage shapes. The cockpit should be a piece of cake-

And remember- I have seen your fabrication skills on a 1/1 scale aircraft. Get cracking.

All joking aside, killer work brother! 

Thor    :ph34r:

11 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Tease.

Seriously, more lumps and bumps to sort? you really don't want to work on this cockpit do you? B)

In all seriousness, more please. Going through withdrawals. 

LOL, yes more shapes that needed fixing, in fact the lower insert was wrong.  Hahah, Meeeee avoid the cockpit??:whistle: :D

Actually I brought a Quinta 1/32 Tamiya F-4J set to help me out with the cockpit as it is very similar in many respects.  I even trimmed up the Aires resin parts and have been test fitting.....yes, honest

9 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

Yeah, C’mon Anthony. It’s time to get into the pit. Quit stalling. You managed to nail the exterior fuselage shapes. The cockpit should be a piece of cake-

And remember- I have seen your fabrication skills on a 1/1 scale aircraft. Get cracking.

All joking aside, killer work brother! 

Thor    :ph34r:

Hahaha, hmmm yes, but in many cases working in smaller scales is harder than making 1:1 pieces as your eyes dim!

Thanks Buddy!  I have actually started the cockpit basics by trial fitting the Aires tub and sidewalls.  Plus I ordered a Quinta Set for the Tamiya 'J' to help me out.

6 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

I hope all's well, mate!

Yes mate, just some serious shape issues that caught me out with the resin insert

All good

Thanks guys, hopefully I will update on the weekend to explain things more on what I am doing