RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Does this count as starting the cockpit?? 

I will be using @Ali62canopy set though(these are the kit parts), just fiddling about with a few things

M1V5t3.jpg

I love the lighting on this pic--it highlights your rivet work perfectly. They look amazing!!!  And you have to start the cockpit sooner or later so you can close up this amazing fuselage...  Chop Chop buddy!

On 9/7/2021 at 11:13 PM, MDuv said:

Hey! Your after market canopy parts does fit very well to your stock fuselage ! Nice catch !!

kidding of course. 

Cockpit crafting gonna be a nice chapter to follow.

Cheers

Mathieu

Thanks Mathieu...Lol, no slipping past you is there haha, thanks very much

On 9/8/2021 at 1:21 AM, easixpedro said:

I love the lighting on this pic--it highlights your rivet work perfectly. They look amazing!!!  And you have to start the cockpit sooner or later so you can close up this amazing fuselage...  Chop Chop buddy!

Lol, yes I quite like that shot too.  LOL, Ok Ok I'm on it....:D

8 hours ago, Derek B said:

Nice work Anthony. Don't forget the fire wire recesses! (if you wish to add them, of course?).

Yes I know mate....There is stil a bit of work to do around there.  Thought I might finish that area up when I get the lower fuse on. Then I can build the area for the hook mounting box and those smaller details....nice to know you have your 'Eagle Eye' out for me!  Thanks mate

Thanks again guys

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Covjets13 said:

This build is stellar, a beautiful blend of both engineering and art. If only this was available as a conversation it would most definitely sell:innocent:. Looking forward to the next instalment.

regards

Si 

Thanks Si, really appreciate your feedback mate.  Who knows...maybe a conversion could be possible???

Progress has been slow as we are back out of lockdown again and work is flat out leaving me exhausted in the evenings and falling asleep on the couch instead of modelling!!  Still chipping away but much slower than before

Cheers Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

OK, now this is a lesson in Phantom intake geometry/shapes that I have studied at great length and these are my findings.  This may be dry and uninteresting to most, but this is for those of you wanting to perhaps know....a bit of a rivet-counting exercise if you will.

Aside from the basics we have established on the Brit Toom intakes is that:

A. The shoulder line is slightly higher on the Brit Tooms than the J-79 ones

B. The intake is shorter from the leading edge to the front lip

C. The intakes are wider through the vent sections

D. The opening is shorter on the vertical axis

E. There is an unusual 'hump' shape when viewed at certain angles

Now whilst trying to make all these things happen on the kit a few things became manifest. 

First, Because the sides of the fuse on Brit Tooms are wider and more rounded, this flatter curve across the shoulder translates into a different shape at the opening.  I will try and explain with photo's and not confuse you....hopefully!

See here how flat the sides of the J-79 intakes are

7x41pD.jpg

YtCLDL.jpg

Now look at the brit Toom

MIM6o7.jpg

Notice how the wider flatter (green) curve on the top/side of the intake translates across the top corner down the to a more fatter and curved front section at the intake opening?

xnq0eR.jpg

I know my way of explaining this is a bit crude, and I am sorry for that.  The orange lines are to give you a basic idea of that is going on.

The top line is how the 'hump is formed. By the higher shoulder, more rounded and wider intake translating down to the intake front which is shorter in height to the std J-79 engined ones. All these things give us that characteristic shape (I believe from my experience forever building up and sanding CA). The lower orange line shows the characteristic shape of all Phantoms, however this seems more exxagerated by the fach the front section of the intake is fatter, shorter and more rounded.

I bet this makes no sense...

Take a look at these pics and see if you can see what I mean

8UzMRE.jpg

dXKIac.jpg

zDjFZK.jpg

RtPZR2.jpg

In this pic above you can almost see where the intake bulges just in front of the black and white checks

Now, lets look back at a US Phantom intake....see what I mean?? Much flatter, sharper intake lip etc

SiUguX.jpg

I'm going mad, I know I can feel my OCD getting away on me LOL

Also go back to @Derek B post just before this one and you will see what I mean even better with his photos

My next post will be to show you how I fixed it on the kit and to prove I have been working on it still!

But in all honesty, this was an area that was really bugging me and I tried ignoring it, I really did!  At certain angles things just did not add up!  I needed to find the issue, and now I found it, it makes perfect sense and now my intakes look so much better.

I need a cuppa, I will show you how I did it in my next post

Cheers Anthony 

Oh, you have my attention!  SO many complex shapes. If you look back to the first couple pages of my Prowler build, I had to overlay Prowler pics vs Intruder pics to sort the windscreen. Wonder if you could do the same here and see how the difference shakes out…of course, just me thinking aloud. Looking forward to more! (Missing working on Phantoms…!)

Peter

2 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Oh, you have my attention!  SO many complex shapes. If you look back to the first couple pages of my Prowler build, I had to overlay Prowler pics vs Intruder pics to sort the windscreen. Wonder if you could do the same here and see how the difference shakes out…of course, just me thinking aloud. Looking forward to more! (Missing working on Phantoms…!)

Peter

Thanks Peter, yes it is pretty complex.  I am unsure how to overlay photo's like you did, but maybe I dont want to know LOL!

I will do another update shortly

Ok, so because I didnt want to do this after I had all my lovely surface detail done I didnt take many photos of the first (left) side being done.  But with a buffed shiny surface the issue just glared at me even more.  I tried telling myself that with a flat finish no one will ever notice....but it was an issue for me mentally.  This is where I started, by fixing the upper curve of the intake section through to the intake opening. This is just the beginning as I went further back from here. 

ER2e22.jpg

But I have taken more of the other side in progress. Once the top profile was 'tweaked' I then had to build up the front section with CA as seen here. This was part of the way through the building up process

twU6iu.jpg

The left side finished as best I can, notice how much thicker the forward section now is.  Also of note is the lower intake lip being modified

hyaZCH.jpg

I think the 'hump' looks better now too

More rounded and far more accurate across the top too

5W6xMR.jpg

Lower lip looking better now too...

62BYp8.jpg

All the time this was going on I continued with surface details on the Right side.....

bQsW4E.jpg

iyHfBz.jpg

And a bit of an overall shot, to make me feel like I am making progress......

fnAFVV.jpg

So there we go, I am making progress but it is slow, thanks for tuning in and I hope this was of interest to some

Cheers Anthony

Yowzers that’s good! And how you keep all that detail after manhandling it is beyond me.

As for the transparent photos, I actually did that in PowerPoint. 2 photos from essentially the same angle, and once I inserted them into the program, I changed the top layer to a transparent one. I think any photo editor lets you do essentially the same, I just happened to do it in PowerPoint as I was actually working on something else at the moment and it was easy.

11 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

So exacting, Anthony! You'd better take a 3D scan of this one when you're done.

Kev

Thanks Kev, LOL, I can barely work out how to use my phone at times....joking aside it is probably not silly.

5 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Yowzers that’s good! And how you keep all that detail after manhandling it is beyond me.

As for the transparent photos, I actually did that in PowerPoint. 2 photos from essentially the same angle, and once I inserted them into the program, I changed the top layer to a transparent one. I think any photo editor lets you do essentially the same, I just happened to do it in PowerPoint as I was actually working on something else at the moment and it was easy.

Thanks buddy, I might have a play with some software sometime. Maybe it is not as scary as it sounds

4 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

It makes perfect sense Anthony, looks great, hope you're happy with it, and can move on to the cockpit!

Thanks Andy, yes it was the last part that was bugging me and I am really happy with how it turned out.  I have started basic geometry work on the cockpit and have the Aires pit trimmed to fit and chopped in a couple of places.  Nothing much to look at though right now.  Lots of little parts are broken off unfortunately, most I can fix but the coaming piece has not survived the box packing very well, I am not sure if I can fix it, I could try Aires customer service and see if they can help me?

I have also contacted the British Phantom Aviation Preservation Society in the hope they can help with rear cockpit photos, the front cockpit pretty much is like a 'J' in the Fg.1.

Thanks to @Barry and @Chekfor some FG.1 rear cockpit help this week,  The rear bulkhead is vertical on the Phantom and the kit and aftermarket have them sloping, I might not however worry about that as it will probably be impossible to tell when done and I do actually want to finish it now...

Appreciate all your feedback and I hope the info was interesting

Cheers Anthony