RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

5 minutes ago, Greg W said:

Der! Yup... radome!

Cool, not a major job to do then. Don't know how specifically different the Brit nose is from all the others.

LOL, thanks Greg

The Radome is an interesting one and not peculiar to the Brit Toom.  Its more of a Tamiya nose issue.  The overall nose length is correct but the 'break point' for the radome should be slightly more forward and on about a 3deg angle (will need to check this angle).  Also it is too flat in side profile along the lower line.  But I cant do too much about that until I glue the lower wing on. 

Oh and I have started the cockpit!  Kinda, just laying all the Aires resin out to see what I need to do.  Cant really avoid it any longer!

I have the 1/32 Wolfpack F-4EJ conversion. Glancing at the resin in the past, there seemed to be a subtle difference in shape between the Tamiya kit nose and the Wolfpack replacement. That lead me to pick your brain and see what you had to say about the radome in the Tamiya box, interesting for sure.

3 minutes ago, Greg W said:

I have the 1/32 Wolfpack F-4EJ conversion. Glancing at the resin in the past, there seemed to be a subtle difference in shape between the Tamiya kit nose and the Wolfpack replacement. That lead me to pick your brain and see what you had to say about the radome in the Tamiya box, interesting for sure.

I cant really say for the long nose versions, I think it is probably pretty good, but wouldnt want to say for sure.  Hmmm sorry I cant help with that version

On 9/2/2021 at 3:04 PM, Flight Line Media said:

Wow! Looking forward to seeing the completion of this project.

Thanks!  Me too LOL

On 9/2/2021 at 3:07 PM, scvrobeson said:

Yeah, but it's one of those things that if you put your Phantom up against another OOB one, all of your work will show up.  And we all see the hard work that you've put into it.

Matt 

Thanks Matt, even looking at the centre carcass of the Tamiya centre section left over, they look totally different...well to my eye anyway

Thanks guys, update coming soon!

On 9/2/2021 at 8:13 PM, brahman104 said:

Pictures just aren't going to do this one justice Anthony!

Craig

Lol especially since I am a crappy photographer Craig.  Thank you

On 9/2/2021 at 11:32 PM, tomprobert said:

That surface detailing is insanely good - these things take so much time but the end result will be well worth it :)

Tom

Thanks Tom!  I know mate this surface seems to be taking me forever.

Cheers guys

Anthony...just putting an update together

Ok so I know I have been banging on about the surface finish.  So I thought I show you what I spent all afternoon doing.

I think my biggest issue has been all the different mediums I have been working with and needing to get a consistent finish from nose to tail and matching what has already been done.

The photo's you are about to see make it look a bit scrappy, but I said I would take you all through 'warts n all' so you can see how I am doing this and the mistakes I am making as I figure it all out.  Better a few pics like this than a nice primered one at the end.  So this afternoon I spent this whole time just working on this back section.  As I work my way forward with the wash I am fixing all the little imperfections.  This will also lay a foundation for  my post shading of the various base greys and weathering.  Anyway onto some photo's

lvZTGm.jpg

LJ5Mb6.jpg

y2iRsB.jpg

8rY2ii.jpg

Mr829j.jpg

Mr829j.jpg

WLV2mK.jpg

Should look a lot better under a coat of paint (although I dont want her to look too pretty)

Thanks for looking in and your encouragement, really spurs me on!

Cheers Anthony

There's a rivet 0.0004mm out of place 3/4mm back from the upper access panel below the fin fairing... ;)

This is just phenomenal - easily the best build of an F-4 I've ever had the pleasure to follow. Your surface detail work is just in a different league. I doff my hat, Sir!

Tom

Just now, tomprobert said:

There's a rivet 0.0004mm out of place 3/4mm back from the upper access panel below the fin fairing... ;)

This is just phenomenal - easily the best build of an F-4 I've ever had the pleasure to follow. Your surface detail work is just in a different league. I doff my hat, Sir!

Tom

Oh yes, you're right!  I'll fix that LOL....thanks buddy, but I'm not sure I am in any different league.  I learned from the guys here over the years.  And inspired by people like yourself.

Funny, I look at the pics and see all the areas I should 'tweak'....but I am not going to or it will never get finished!

Cheers Anthony