RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Don't let it beat you down Anthony, you are doing absolutely fantastic work.   I'm a bit overwhelmed with just building the F-4C, given all the issues with the Tamiya kit, don't know how you are staying motivated with a conversion of that complexity.   However, if you do take a break, I'd surely love to see some progress on that Mossie....

Well I am boxing on even after the news of new Phantoms in 1/32, Nothing seems to suggest a Brit one so I am cracking on...

Anthony.......I wouldn't worry, they should send you one to build to show how good it is!

Plenty of lockdown building today? :coolio:

Paul

Edited by Paul in Napier

1 hour ago, Paul in Napier said:

Anthony.......I wouldn't worry, they should send you one to build to show how good it is!

Plenty of lockdown building today? :coolio:

Paul

LOl, you are so right mate, I will happily review one if they do it!

Yes, plenty of lockdown building today.  Bit happier with the shape at this vent area (still a way to go when I insert the plastic discs with the mounted rear pipes), I can finally see the proper shape appearing.

zorEaT.jpg

Cheers Anthony

24 minutes ago, Maybach_man said:

Dont know if this helps?rne6XxK.jpg

Yes, great photo!

As you can see there is still some shaping for me to do under the vent.  I have to still glue a plastic ring around the edge of the resin fuse and sand smooth.  This will aid in then gluing a strip around the edge to simulate the titanium edge around the can and the curved piece at the top.  As you can see, there is still a lot to do

Thanks for the photo

Cheers Anthony

5 hours ago, IainM said:

Blooming marvelous!!
Yep, also don't think those new releases will include a Spey engined machine, so onwards and upwards. You're almost done with it anyway;)
Take care up there in Rangoon!

Thanks mate!  You stay safe too.  I suppose you still have to work?

So this was the best part of a days work believe it or not!  I have tried to figure the best way to sort the area around the reheat cans.  The resin conversion is not circular, well it might be my fault because I was heating the resin up and manipulating the shapes.  But the result is they are not very round.

What I did was using my compass cutter, cut a few circles of varying dia (when I say varying dia I mean all within 1mm) which dosent sound like a lot but I need this to slide neatly in and then I butt the rear of the airframe up to this and finish up with a sharp edge. Which I then glue another edge piece that slightly overlaps the can,  this has a radius/curve at the top. The whole effect being the can sits recessed into the airframe...make sense??

So for those of you who are going to get these parts when they become available, this is what I did.

I slid the ring onto the end and placed the can at the end.  This set the distance the rear pipe sticks out of the edge and superglued it on. 

M4BMNn.jpg

This set the distance the rear pipe sticks out of the edge and superglued it on. Now the can fits on nicely up to the plastic card face

DpZa3w.jpg

A bit of scraping and sanding but now I can easily slide the rear pipes in easily.

yf1HDH.jpg

The lower engine section has been modified, but I cant hold everything together and photograph it, once the pipes are glued in then I can do that for you all.  

Cheers

Anthony

Hey Anthony,

Modern(ish) jets aren't typically my thing but looks like I'll be making an exception on this one! Incredible amount of work you've done on this and I need to go back through and follow the journey. Looks great from what I can see! Hopefully all the cases stay on the North Island for you guys ;) 

Cheers,

Craig

7 minutes ago, brahman104 said:

Hey Anthony,

Modern(ish) jets aren't typically my thing but looks like I'll be making an exception on this one! Incredible amount of work you've done on this and I need to go back through and follow the journey. Looks great from what I can see! Hopefully all the cases stay on the North Island for you guys ;) 

Cheers,

Craig

Thanks Craig, much appreciated buddy.

Are you still on MIQ duties or are you back on the Sqn with the NH90's again? 

My good mate has recently been approved and gone through officer training at WB as a pilot.  he has passed everything and next goes to Ohakea flying the Texan II's.  He's pretty amazed and excited he has made it in front of all the others.  Oh and his dad was an awesome modeler before he sadly passed....he'd be proud of Fin now.

Thanks again

3 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks mate!  You stay safe too.  I suppose you still have to work?

Yep, work carries on. But blessed in the fact that I'm an "essential worker".....so many others out there who's livelihoods hang in the balance with all these level 4 closures!
Unfortunately, with the amount of air traffic that moved between the North and South islands in the 48 hours post initial announcement, I don't think we'll remain unscathed down here....I really hope I'm wrong though.

On a cheerier subject, almost time to start that cockpit....:lol: