RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

22 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Oh that's awesome! Those cans are amazeballs! Wont be long and you'll be closing up the fuselage.

Am toying with mine atm, trying to figure out whether I want to butcher them to get closed nozzles.

-Peter

Thanks Peter, Hmmm, that's an interesting point, dont they call that Mil Power when they are closed?  Either way it will look awesome buddy!

@Derek B  That's some brilliant information.  I had no ideathose cans could be so lose without the engines fitted, I can see a little difference now when they are fitted...thanks you're a lifesaver!

I still have to deal with the shapes a little and figure out how to replicate that louvered panel.  But I think I might wait until the lower wing is on when  I can tidy that all up

6 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Those cans look great, can't wait to see them painted, Derek, you're a star, all this priceless information. I hope you do consider producing a KLP book - The definitive guide to building a British Phantom.

Glad you're enjoying it Andy...this is for you too buddy!

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate everyones feedback

Cheers

Anthony 

15 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

I had no ideathose cans could be so lose without the engines fitted, I can see a little difference now when they are fitted...thanks you're a lifesaver!

Hi Anthony,

When I say 'loose', this is what I mean...

CqPXMXS.jpg

Szlbwin.jpg

xv497%20(36).jpg

These are often covered up by a blank or plate to 'hide the hole' (not unlike model making actually), so you wouldn't necessarily know that they were so!

Derek

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks as always @Derek B

Well i have to admit to a bit of burnout here.  Correcting and replacing surface details on this right hand side is mind numbing and hard to motivate myself to carry on with all those rivets!  Anyhow I have still done a little bit each night and the Phantom builds here have been hugely inspiring, thanks guys.  I put my head down today and tidied up some more areas at the back end where the resin and plastic join (from where I earlier cut the conversion fuselage into 3 sections).  only a couple of panel lines to do now and continue working on adding the fasteners.  Then I can do the rivets.

I will leave the best part of this post until the end as it's the main reason to update you all because I dont really have a lot to show from spending hours on the surface detailing.

Here are some results of all my fine tuning, see nothing really looks different, but I really hope it pays dividends with the final result

HMc57H.jpg

rSsQJh.jpg

Then as a bit of a side track for me was to take a look at the lower nose profile and how I was going to fix it.  I added some thick plasti card to the front, more on this later) and removed a couple of antennas that are not present on Brit Tooms.

sZV0ii.jpg

A suitable section of the original Tamiya fuselage section was cut out of the back for the Aux air doors in the back.  Still yet to add some surface details before I make them too thin and add a bit of internal structure 

1GTHvI.jpg

Anyway the big news and main reason to post is this.........

3S6gwG.jpg

HZnUWF.jpg

Kerry said, well I made a 'Hot' section, I may as well make a 'cold' section!!!

Isnt he awesome!

He said to me that the NZ IPMS Nats are coming up on 8-10 Oct in Auckland where he lives, so I am going to see if I can finish this beast up to take up there.  I will do my best and it gives me a target!  I probably wont enter it as I have let my membership slip for quite a few years and I am not into competitions or placing anymore (I used to judge them as well) but happy to bring it up to display if nothing else

Thanks for looking all, and until I have more to show....

Cheers Anthony

I never realized that Spey engines had this strange configuration of stator blades (or are they fan blades??). Very British anyway ...

These are CAD images I presume? Can't wait to see them printed.

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

20 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

I never realized that Spey engines had this strange configuration of stator blades (or are they fan blades??). Very British anyway ...

These are CAD images I presume? Can't wait to see them printed.

Cheers

Rainer

Yes those Speys are quite different at the front. A chap on Britmodeller used to work on them and called them ECU Guide Vanes.

Here is the first test print, yes they were the CAD images.  Take a look at Kerrys skills!  Going to be tricky to paint!

YCiqFV.jpg

18 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Anthony

Your dedication to accuracy and persistence is inspiring. Wonderful results.

Cheers,

Damian

Thanks Damian, that means a lot from you buddy!  Thanks

11 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Impressively patient and skilful progress, Anthony!

Kev

Thanks Kev, I really appreciate that.  I need to work fast though before my 32nd P-3 Orion is here, or I might get distracted!

6 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

I know all about burnout from focusing on a single large-scale project, so I won't try and push you! But the Nats sounds like a great goal and, to my untrained eye, a doable one.

LOL, thanks mate.  Hey was it a 32nd Mossie you brought?

And this is just a quick pic to show the blending of the Tamiya Kit section and the WH conversion as well as correcting the panel lines.  Once I have stopped being so fussy on this area I can rivet it.  Then onto the cockpit...did I mention I hate doing cockpits?:D

2Ux909.jpg

Thanks again gents, your likes and comments mean the world to me!!!!!

Cheers Anthony

15 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Kev, I really appreciate that.  I need to work fast though before my 32nd P-3 Orion is here, or I might get distracted!

I know what you mean! My 1/72 version is due to land in the next day or two, and as much as I would have loved to opt for the 1/32 version, it's just not feasible. So, I'm really looking forward to you posting photos of yours!

Kev

2 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I know what you mean! My 1/72 version is due to land in the next day or two, and as much as I would have loved to opt for the 1/32 version, it's just not feasible. So, I'm really looking forward to you posting photos of yours!

Kev

Oh that's exciting mate, I will be keen to see what you think?

I will be sure to post photo's of mine.  I cant really afford it or am even sure where it will go.  But just too cool not to have.  Better start saving I guess, this is my next purchase and I dont think Belynda will be overly happy.  Oh well, what do they say??  Something about asking for forgiveness is easier!:blah:

Just now, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh that's exciting mate, I will be keen to see what you think?

Toshihiko had already sent me a replacement nose section and some ancillary parts, so I've already had an inkling of what it'll be like. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed in the print quality, which is heavily striated with print layers, and the details are pretty ropey. I'd say these issues will be less of a problem in 1/32 scale, and nothing that can't be overcome in 1/72 either. I will say, though, that the landing gear parts are effectively useless on mine, and I'll have to source them elsewhere somehow. Never mind! I'm still really looking forward to tackling it some day.

And now back to your Phantom!

Kev

22 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Cheers

Rainer

The RR Conway has the same style - look at the intakes for the VC10.  Yes, seems to be a RR "thing"...

Wow on two accounts Anthony; first, the mountain you have had to climb to find your mojo again after that soul-sapping riveting session (and yes, it will be worth it), and secondly, that Spey compressor intake section, it's totally awesome! (huge kudos to Kerry here).

Whoever is lucky enough to obtain 3D printed copies copies of Kerry's compressor and exhaust sections will be extremely fortunate as it will make conversion of the Tamiya F-4J into a Spey powered British Phantom that much easier. However, your conversion is exemplary Anthony and probably provides more inspiration to other modellers than you would ever appreciate - keep up the good work on this incredible build.

Derek 

Edited by Derek B