RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

I wondered how you were going to tackle that area - well executed and well done! (the beauty is that despite all of my years of modelling experience, there is always something new to learn in terms of technique - thank you).

Derek

PS I hope that Belynda does see your comment; I can imagine her having a good laugh! lol :)

Thanks buddy, we’re always learning aren’t we?  Yes I think she would find it funny considering she is skinny and barely has a back end hahah 

55 minutes ago, jenshb said:

Wasn't aware of this subtle difference.  The fuselage modifications were far more extensive than I thought.

me either when I got into this...someone should have warned me! Well I think Derek did but I thought I knew it all...now I’m paying the price of ignorance!

Thanks for the feedback gents. I’m back to riveting and changing panel lines on the starboard forward fuse.  I really want those intakes on!

cheers Anthony 

9 hours ago, mgbgtv8steve said:

Awesome work all the way trough - please keep it up!!

Regards,

Steve S.

Thanks Steve!  Dont worry mate...fat finger syndrome affects us all here LOL

2 minutes ago, jimbo59 said:

Definitely my favorite build on these forums. Keep it going this is great stuff.

Thank you very much!  Awww man, it's great having you along too.  Its the feedback and pointing out areas that need tweaking, the PM's of info that might help, and even the 'likes/reactions' that have kept me going on this.  Otherwise I know it would have ended up on the SOD because I couldnt understand something, got stuck, or simply ran out of mojo!

Thanks guys....I wish I had another day off LOL

On 4/28/2021 at 2:56 PM, amurray said:

After haranguing you good-naturedly weeks ago I want you know I've continued to follow your project.  It is outstanding!   Just incredibly well done detail!

And special thanks to others who have provided additional detail and photos, especially of Black Mike.

Thanks very much, it's great having you along too.  The fact others are helping with their knowledge makes for richer reading and understanding on the subject.

Small update, but taken a long time to get this side riveted and panel lines added and changed.  lets get some wash on now and see what needs fixing!

szuBX6.jpg

Did I say I really want to get these intakes on??

Cheers Anthony

This image here is to show what the rivets look like under the black base for this area behind the intakes that I wont be able to paint properly later on.  The Light grey gets marbled over the top but you cant really see the riveting unless you get up close and get the right light.  They arent a prominent feature on the real aeroplane at all, but the idea is to give some 'texture/life' to the airframe up really close.  More artistic than actual I suppose

Hard to see but you get the idea

i3VahP.jpg

4 hours ago, Ironwing said:

As always..a beautiful compendium of work..exceptionally well done.

Best

Geoff

Thanks Geoff!

I have been quite excited about your Ryan scratchbuild too since you started the thread.  Such a beautiful looking plane and I can only imaging how good it will look with your continued skills being applied. 

Thanks for looking in!

4 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

Phew those Speys were just so much fatter. Really took something to get those to fit inside the Phantom airframe.

Just can't wait to see those on the model!

Marcel

Hey marcel, me either mate.  I quickly just snapped this shot just for you.  Actually its a pretty crappy photo and dosent really show the differences now showing in the back end.

Please excuse my new paint mule mess on the remains of the Tamiya fuse...

nSrq0q.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I might try and get some grey on today....

Ok I will just let the pics speak for themselves...mostly.  :D

Barley grey layed down...this colour is doing my head in!  Initially too green, then used light aircraft grey over the top...better but still not happy.  Then Med Sea Grey heavily lightened with white.  That seems better to my eye as they seem to get quite light and faded quickly in service.  Then when you see on photo's of touch ups of supposedly the same colour it is completely different again, different lighting different look!  Happy with one result I went down the other end of the house and didnt like it :BANGHEAD2:.  Some do look really greenish at certain angles, but to my eye I need more grey.  Anyway I will persevere sorting this out as I continue with modifying the airframe.

This is good enough for behind the intakes for now anyway, its close but not quite there to my eye

The good news at least is that I am prepping the port intake for epoxying in!!

22WP7I.jpg

oP2oU3.jpg

0P5EZI.jpg

i28mgt.jpg

9Y7und.jpg

Cheers Anthony