RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

12 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Blimey! That looks fantastic!

Thanks Cees, not for the faint hearted as you know!

10 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Wow Anthony!

What a serious bit of work to do this conversion! You are a much better man than I Sir!

Cheers,

Wolf.

P.S. How’s the Auster coming along?

Heeeey Wolf, so good to hear from you.  Auster rebuild has been a little slow lately, was having a bit of burnout (and expenses!) so I am getting more into the modelling for a change of pace.  Better than you...errr I don't think so, but thanks for the compliment!:D

8 hours ago, Derek B said:

Absolutely - spot on Anthony! :thumbsup::clap2: (very minor detail, I know, but what a difference it makes, as it is such a striking characteristic when viewed from certain angles).

Well done

Derek

Thank you Derek! 

Your feedback is very important to me and its people like you who can be such a great help in such instances, since I have never seen a Phantom in my life sadly...

Been playing with Kerry's vari ramp test print, black based and grey over the top to see what effect we are getting.  Still a bit of shape tweaking and work on the holes but getting there

o8V6Sh.jpg

I bet these prop guys are getting sick of seeing this Phantom thread always popping up....but I have more to update...:ninja:

Edited by Anthony in NZ

2 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

What, what?! you can't leave me hanging like that!  More please.

Haha, ok then

So after I got Mr Surfacer on I could see my shapes better and I think I will leave them alone now (I am working on the other side at the moment and making templates as I go so  get them matching).  I can see a few imperfections in the surface that are easily delt with now I dont have that multi coloured mess to look at anymore.

TaXJBi.jpg

St4PvE.jpg

As you can see I have a lot of surface detail to reinstate....Hey, I thought I had finished with this area!

But the revised final version of the reheat can just drops in there with no effort

P459eI.jpg

mElyTI.jpg

5g1Ovi.jpg

Then I thought I better do some black basing inside the intake area and will put a little Barley grey on later before I finally epoxy the intake on (I really must finish the other side)

W0F1fg.jpg

6Hj2QO.jpg

And here is where she sits....can you tell I have had a few days off work? LOL

nn0LU0.jpg

As always chaps, thanks for following along and sorry it's taking so long, this is a vertical learning curve for me on Phantoms!

Cheers Anthony

52 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

As always chaps, thanks for following along and sorry it's taking so long, this is a vertical learning curve for me on Phantoms!

Cheers Anthony

You are transitioning from apprentice to master very rapidly! - Excellent work Anthony.

This looks more and more like the 1:1 version every time I see one of your new updates, so the journey up this particular mountain is very well worth the effort in order to reach the pinnacle (where you lead today, others shall be inspired to follow tomorrow).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

2 hours ago, Derek B said:

You are transitioning from apprentice to master very rapidly! - Excellent work Anthony.

This looks more and more like the 1:1 version every time I see one of your new updates, so the journey up this particular mountain is very well worth the effort in order to reach the pinnacle (where you lead today, others shall be inspired to follow tomorrow).

Derek

Awww man, you're too kind my friend!   

The secret is that I am cheating by watching what other LSP'ers do and copy them and their techniques.  Besides, this wouldnt be as near as accurate if it wasnt for several of you here.  I just hope it inspires others to give a project (or a Brit Toom) a crack that they think is beyond their relm or abilities...it likely wont be!

1 hour ago, IainM said:

Mind-boggling to think how much time and effort has gone into that fuselage that's in the last image. :clap2::bow:She's going to be beautiful!
Those cans and ramps are something else as well! Nice, very nice!!

Thanks Iain, that's a real compliment coming from you sir!

Looking at that fuselage its hard to see where all those hours went.  Maybe if I had a std kit fuse I might see the differences more now. Although the fin and horizontal stabs are finished I suppose

Cheers guys

Anthony

Very nice progress Anthony and you have way, way more patience and determination than I will ever have.  Again, I chuckle that I thought a Brit F-4 was nothing more than the American version with Rolls Royce engines and maybe a Union Jack sticker in the cockpit.  It's a tad more than that, don't you agree?!  ;)  Lol

Cheers,

Chuck

On 4/24/2021 at 12:37 PM, easixpedro said:

Ooooh, that looks smashing! Seriously the bees knees!

That area behind the exhaust...it looks amazing. You nailed it. Going to look great under paint!

thanks buddy...now back to your Phantom please!

On 4/24/2021 at 2:10 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Very nice progress Anthony and you have way, way more patience and determination than I will ever have.  Again, I chuckle that I thought a Brit F-4 was nothing more than the American version with Rolls Royce engines and maybe a Union Jack sticker in the cockpit.  It's a tad more than that, don't you agree?!  ;)  Lol

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck!

I dont know if it's patience and determination or madness and obsession???  LOL, a tad more mate, yes I agree :D

This illustrated just how big the Spey really was compared to the J79, admittedly the Brassin parts will be undersized to match the kit parts...but still

VDuSCN.jpg

Well the other intake is all dolled up ready to go, just have to sort the surface details out one the fuselage before I can epoxy them on...

Lv6vbP.jpg

GTxn6c.jpg

I will probably lose a lot of that surface detail on the top of the intakes when I modify the 'shoulders'

Thanks for looking in

Cheers Anthony

So this is one of those updates where it is not very visually interesting but important to discuss.

The Tamiya Phantom is very flat on the sides as it seems for a J79 powered one.  However the Spey Phantom has a much bigger more rounded back end (I would never say THAT to my wife LOL...I digress)

This should show as it is difficult to see in photos, but it is definitely different, I have added in thick green lines to show you the difference

Xdf9u1.jpg

Derek posted this brilliant photo of 'Black Mike' being transported without wings and you can really see the curves in the back end earlier in the thread (photo credit Ian Haskell)

jWdHWG.jpg

Also note the 'hump in the shoulder, but more about that once the intakes are on...

Here is the issue with the kit/conversion.  WH went some of the way correcting this around the very back end, but as you can see that curve runs gently further up the fuse

The kit...

0rMoSk.jpg

So I made a former out of a resin block I had

LlHYpa.jpg

The good thing about the resin fuselage center section I am still using is that I can heat and reshape.  So I boiled the jug and molded the curve up the side to correct this issue.  If you are using the Tamiya plastic fuse then you could thin the inside wall and put formers in the back or build up the curve on the outside with CA or similar.  However doing the latter might cause an issue when rescribing details back on

This is what I ended up with...much more accurate

PS1OXN.jpg

Dosent look like a lot, and in real life it isnt, but on the model it has made a big difference to my eye. I tried to photograph it with the light directly above so you can see the altered contour

Then I spent most of the rest of the day sanding and reprofiling the back end...phew, I even got both sides matching.  

SQfWWp.jpg

Really hard to see I know, but after altering all those curves in the back end to match drawings and photo's I am more than happy with the result.  You will be able to see it better later on when I re-do the surface detailing.

Boring but important update for those doing this conversion. Early on in the build I wasnt sure I was going to bother, but as I get deeper and studied her more, I just could not leave it alone.  Especially when you see the reheat can on, then the fuse quickly went flat, I  just couldnt leave it....

Well that brings nearly a week off work to a close, I got lots done but things will probably slow up again now I am back at work again tomorrow.

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

13 minutes ago, GDW said:

Boring???

Not at all... captivating/intetesting/entertaining/fascinating, definitely! 

Every post on this thread is a treat. 

Stellar job on this Anthony

Awww that's nice, sometimes I think to myself people must be getting bored with such slow progress.  Thanks so much, it makes taking all the time to point out all the differences of the Brit Phantom and how I am tackling them (in the hope it might help someone else with theirs) all worthwhile :P

I wondered how you were going to tackle that area - well executed and well done! (the beauty is that despite all of my years of modelling experience, there is always something new to learn in terms of technique - thank you).

Derek

PS I hope that Belynda does see your comment; I can imagine her having a good laugh! lol :)