RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

On 4/16/2021 at 10:57 AM, seiran01 said:

Oh boy oh boy, that’s looking great :clap2:

Well it's all your fault...you know that!  If you hadnt sold that Wild Hare conversion to me then I would have finished my 24th Mossie :lol:  Yeah right!

Loving this conversion actually, certainly having my ups and downs.

CAUTION: Ugly photo

3hymUq.jpg

The test print of the reheat can etc highlighted I had more work to go on the 'hot area' of my conversion.  As soon as I popped the piece in I saw it.  Just tweaking the shapes in here...good ole JB Weld...love this stuff!

In good news, Kerry is getting there with the Vari ramps, this has really been a cause for headaches for him...well done mate!

AG3qiY.jpg

Cheers Anthony

Your terrific work is clearly illustrating a basic fact: a conversion set to turn a US Phantom into a Brit one is pure non-sense if you do not want to get a caricature of a Brit F-4! There are so many differences that we are actually considering two different planes with common features rather than slightly different versions of one plane. Understanding that is the first essentiel step before cutting into plastic. Well done! :clap2:

7 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Wonderful work Anthony, those cans really look the part and make mine look like binliners^_^

LOL, they arent that bad, but there sure is a noticeable size difference, I was surprised I have to say.

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Your terrific work is clearly illustrating a basic fact: a conversion set to turn a US Phantom into a Brit one is pure non-sense if you do not want to get a caricature of a Brit F-4! There are so many differences that we are actually considering two different planes with common features rather than slightly different versions of one plane. Understanding that is the first essentiel step before cutting into plastic. Well done! :clap2:

Thierry you are absolutely right mate, They are really 2 quite different airframes that look similar.  I am hoping there arent too many differences in the wing apart from the rear lower section.

Thanks for following along buddy!

7 hours ago, Derek B said:

I'm pretty sure that this area of the heat zone on the aircraft is pretty well recessed in order to allow for  movement of the Spey AB shroud? (probably slightly more than you already have done).

You are correct Derek, this was obvious when I put the first test print 'in the hole'.  Instantly more shape issues appeared to me.  I have back filled with JB and this is my 3rd series of sanding deeper and bulging this area out further to match photo's.  I am getting close, but not quite there.

Cheers guys

Anthony

On 4/18/2021 at 8:45 PM, jimbo59 said:

Your “pretty close” is the best I have ever seen! In any scale!

Thanks Jim, I wish I could be happy with 'good enough or pretty close' at times!

So Derek really highlighted an area I had only partly got right.  The rear 'hot area' clearly needed more modifying when the test print was inserted.  I tried to tell myself it was ok but it bugged me I wasnt quite there.

I am waiting for the 'tweaked' test print to arrive either today or tomorrow so I have been working hard with the initial one to see if I can get it ready shape wise. Here you can see that I have flattened the curve and deepened the recess where the can sits.  

sXnh6t.jpg

Little hard to see so I have put the red lines to help you see

5sXoRR.jpg

The original on the left side of the image was much flatter than the original kit part, but the reworked right side of the image shows how much flatter again this area now is.  I used a combination of cross sections and Mk 1 eyeball.  You can also see the opening has also been made bigger in diameter to accept the new engine.

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Looking better already Anthony, great work! :thumbsup:

To my eye, in side profile, it is something of a cranked right-angle transition from the AB shroud to the under tail plates (however, when viewed from the rear forwards, that angled transition gives the appearance of the under fuselage heat plate edges almost 'bulging' or 'dripping' over the outer edges of the AB shrouds, if any of that makes sense?).

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Thanks Derek, yes I 'think' I know what you mean.  the revised cans and splitter should be with me later today.  I will get some Mr Surfacer on and see how it all looks....it is very hard to see what I have done here.  I have stared at photo's of this area I can still see them when i close my eyes LOL

Appreciate your feedback and look forward to further comments

Cheers Anthony

Is this the bulging or dripping you are meaning Derek?

I need to check angles and shapes on my hot area now I have the revised print...

kUNRQC.jpg

bnja8i.jpg

Wk4YOA.jpg

ugEin8.jpg

Kerry has done a quick paint to see how the details turned out...what do you think?

One thing that really strikes me is how seriously BIG these Spey's were!

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

12 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Is this the bulging or dripping you are meaning Derek?

I need to check angles and shapes on my hot area now I have the revised print...

kUNRQC.jpg

bnja8i.jpg

Cheers Anthony

Absolutely - spot on Anthony! :thumbsup::clap2: (very minor detail, I know, but what a difference it makes, as it is such a striking characteristic when viewed from certain angles).

Well done

Derek