RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

23 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

Wow the exhausts will indeed be something else!

Marcel

Thanks Marcel, I am really quite excited by those reheat cans and interior Kerry put in them!  He is a talented guy and I am glad he likes Brit Phantoms too!

22 hours ago, GMK said:

Wow. The deeper I get into CAD & CAM, the more I’ve come to see it as an alternative way to generate repeatable parts, to a professional or better level. 

Your build is showcasing the two extremes, done entirely by hand & eye/machine designed & fabricated. Each impressive in their own way. 

I never thought of it using the 2 extremes of modelling, certainly a lot of chopping up of plastic, use of resin, some printed stuff and no doubt photoetch...LOL it will all be in there!

20 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Wow, can't wait to see those nozzles printed out and painted on the model.  Amazing what a CAD program can do.

Matt 

Hey Matt, yes mate, the trick will be to do them justice with painting!! 

13 hours ago, Starfighter said:

The intakes are absolute perfection and the Speys look brilliant as well! 

Aww man, you're too kind mate!  I have learned a lot from you Ben.....thank you

9 hours ago, Derek B said:

Fantastic Anthony, well done! :clap2:(now comes the hard part! Glad you have got the 3D print solution at hand, otherwise, I could envisage a grown man reduced to tears! lol :) ).

Onwards and upwards...

Derek

LOL, thanks Derek, to be honest this has nearly reduced me to tears before :D  I am really looking forward to getting these intakes epoxied on, then comes the fun part sorting that top shoulder shape.  The real biggie will be getting the lower wing on and bringing everything together...that seems miles away as I hate doing cockpits!

As you say, Onwards and Upwards

Thanks everyone for all of your reactions, suggestions and encouragement, I hope we are all learning more about this mysterious Spey engined bird's secrets!

Cheers Anthony

Nothing I can take credit for, but a test print for sizing is on it's way to me to trial...

Didnt Kerry do a great job?  Imagine what this will look like in a hi-res print?

MPHHBF.jpg

g4fKJ2.jpg

Thanks so very much Kerry, but also those involved who are helping with photo's, drawings, encouragement as well as offers with their high end printers to help make this happen.  As you can see they are highly accurate.

I just hope I can do it justice when I get a final print and paint it nicely!

Cheers Anthony

Those printed parts are something else altogether, they look fantastic! A huge thanks and kudos have go to Kerry for putting in all of the hard work here, which has shown superb results (and to all of the other people who have provided their help, efforts, expertise and encouragement to you and Kerry - there are some really helpful and generous souls here). 

Cheers

Derek

49 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Those printed parts are something else altogether, they look fantastic! A huge thanks and kudos have go to Kerry for putting in all of the hard work here, which has shown superb results (and to all of the other people who have provided their help, efforts, expertise and encouragement to you and Kerry - there are some really helpful and generous souls here). 

Cheers

Derek

Yes mate, I just love this community, I am a firm believer that we look after each other in this community, especially with the crap going on in the world it's nice to have a bunch of like-minded people to share our hobby with...thanks again to all those being a part of making this happen!

Especially kerry!

45 minutes ago, Marcel111 said:

Wow those exhausts just look absolutely incredible! Can’t wait to see more!

They sure do, I just have to make sure I do justice to the painting of them when the time comes!

Cheers guys

Edited by Anthony in NZ

34 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Kerry is now working on the new Spey Vari-ramps, shape and hole perforations are very different to the US ones...

cHKYh3.jpg

dOUngd.jpg

This is the preliminary shaping, a lot more to go...

Wow, that is fantastic! Kerry has done a wonderful job.

Derek

2 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Wow, that is fantastic! Kerry has done a wonderful job.

Derek

Yes mate he has.  When he was over and we were discussing Brit Phantoms over a coffee I raised concern over printing perforations so small, but he didnt seem to think it would be an issue with a really good printer

12 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Yes mate he has.  When he was over and we were discussing Brit Phantoms over a coffee I raised concern over printing perforations so small, but he didnt seem to think it would be an issue with a really good printer

Hi Anthony,

Considering that the real (full size) perforations are only 2 mm (approximately) in diameter, that is extremely impressive!

Derek

Edited by Derek B

1 minute ago, Derek B said:

Hi Anthony,

Considering that the real (full size) perforations are only approximately 2 mm in diameter, that is extremely impressive!

Derek

yes and when you look at the Tamiya kit, they are oversized, but give a great representation.  But if anyone can pull this off then Kerry can with a decent printer

On 4/14/2021 at 12:15 PM, scvrobeson said:

That's not the hi-vis print?  Could have fooled me.

Matt 

I know Matt, he still has a really good printer.

Just a quick teaser of the test print offered up as I am running late for work.... Some tweaks to be made but pretty close for a first go!

CtwQu7.jpg

e3hqsv.jpg

RF3TLG.jpg

Cheers Anthony