RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

19 hours ago, Derek B said:

Practise makes perfect...fantastic work on those vents Anthony; hopefully, you'll be on the home run for them now (at least, when you start on the lower items, you can tell yourself that you are now over 50% of the way to completing them! :) ).

Derek

Thanks Derek, yep, feeling like I can see some light at the end of the intake trunking :rolleyes:

Todays efforts

wUJf1H.jpg

c6Zi3N.jpg

Getting close to gluing to the fuse!

Cheers and thanks for looking in

Anthony

23 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Wow Anthony! 

Magnificent work my friend. The whole thing is an amazing conversion but those vents..............that’s just mad! Absolutely love it Mate.

Cheers,

Wolf

LOL, thanks mate...I love having your feedback.  Vents....mad???  Yes!  Only Brit Phantom in my future, these intakes have been a real mission!

20 hours ago, jenshb said:

One piece at a time....  Still looking good.

Glad you're still along my friend!  Getting there, as you say, one piece at a time

Today I got to pretty much finish up the lower vents done on the stbd intake.  Just the last one to do on the other side and I can add a few details and do a little more refining and glue them on to the main fuse, now THAT I am looking forward to

LPoqXr.jpg

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 10:02 PM, GMK said:

Anthony, the quality of your work on the intakes is outstanding! Not many people’s work can withstand the harsh glare of macro photography - yours can. 

Thanks buddy, the big photo's on my screen certainly show up the imperfections that you cant see with the naked eye!

On 3/15/2021 at 12:52 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

That looks amazing, Anthony!

Kev

Thanks Kev, certainly turning into a 'long game' project!

On 3/15/2021 at 1:08 AM, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Wow! Absolutely clean and precise work, Anthony! I'm looking forward to seeing more of that Phantom.

Rainer

Thanks Rainer, hope to show you more soon!

On 3/15/2021 at 2:23 AM, Kagemusha said:

All that work's certainly paid off, those look great.

Thank you, I am quite pleased with them too

On 3/15/2021 at 4:48 AM, Marcel111 said:

Wow, intricate yet perfect work on those intakes!

Marcel

Thanks Marcel, I appreciate that feedback, means a lot coming from a jet guy like yourself!

On 3/15/2021 at 5:04 AM, GDW said:

Yup, exceptional work here Anthony! A real treat to follow, for many reasons. 

I think you should write for KLP Publishing a guide to modifying and detailing 1:32 aircraft the Anthony in NZ way. That would be a terrific inspiration and resource for sure!   

Thanks buddy, well I dont know if Kev can wait as long as this is taking!

On 3/16/2021 at 3:54 AM, vvwse4 said:

Looks bloody brilliant to me!! Now get them in!

Cheers Rick

Haha, I am tryin Rick, I am trying!

On 3/16/2021 at 5:29 PM, jimbo59 said:

Amazing work! 

Thank you sir!  Love having your input!

Thanks for everyone who is liking and commenting, I enjoy each one and it motivates me immensely as I would have shelved her by now!

Update not far away now....

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was time to remind you all following along that I am still alive and still (amazingly) working on this Brit Toom.

Where did we finish up...oh yeah, intake vents...how could I forget that!  Well the good news is that they are pretty much done, still a little more (believe it or not) refining on these but 90% done now.

BC9bNn.jpg

eO1STb.jpg

I foolishly thought I could glue them in, but after studying some panel lines, things didnt add up. Please see this photo  Damien Burke took, actually I love this photo as it really shows a lot of details.

XWvPSS.jpg

I will explain in more detail once completed and my wash in there, but the panel lines are all slightly different on these FG.1/FGR.2 intakes.  Not a lot, but enough to bug me.

I re-did the 2 rectangular panels on the front half (and yes I made one a little too long and have filled with CA and rescribed to shorten it, also in the process of replacing and finishing off the rivet lines )Tamiya only have put about 1/2 of them in, so I am just finishing them off and this will match the rest of my airframe details too.

Looking at this pic enlarged identified why they looked different.

The 2 access panels are slightly different and have an extra section.  These are correct for US ones but it doesn't seem so for the Brit ones...of course :rolleyes: , close but different.  This took a lot of figuring the correct positioning, as remember these intakes are slightly shorter and rivet line spacing is slightly different.  Anyway I am pretty sure i have it sorted and you will see it better once I get them panel line washed. Essentially moving about some of the vertical panel lines forward and adding new ones.

hdaR4o.jpg

TTFOTP.jpg

I am not going to get too carried away on the top section as all this is going to change shape soon

Oh one more thing I must say is that a few members here have help with some info and in particular 3D scans of the fuselage overlayed on drawings and known measurements.  I am now convinced I know why the intake vents on the side are too close to the radome opening, it appears the fwd fuse is about 3mm too short, and by adding about 2mm to the font bulkhead I correct the length issue and the Air Con vents end up in the correct place.  Also explaining why Flightpath shortened their resin nose replacement.  I am not going to worry about any other slight mm differences as I can live with them after correcting the nose. But more on that closer to the time.

Thanks for checking in and the delay on an update

Cheers Anthony