RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

15 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Small update, but a big milestone for me!

Fins going in finally.  Fitting each one individually seems to be the best/tidiest way to go About 120 off individual fins to go, then I can glue the intakes on!

Will be tedious but I think will all be worth it in the end

Cheers Anthony

15 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hi Anthony,

Yep one at a time, VERY Tedious! These as set in using temp glue so not very straight.

vCfe3Be.jpg

9 hours ago, jenshb said:

That does look tidy.

Thanks mate!

8 hours ago, Derek B said:

Nice work Antony - it takes a lot of skill (and not a little patience and trial and error) to achieve that, well done.

Derek

Thank you sir...I did a little last night, I might be finding a rhythm for it and the way I am gluing each fin in now

6 hours ago, jimbo59 said:

Those louvre’s are going to look great 

Thanks for the reassurance, I am liking how they are coming out too

4 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Top notch work on those louvres, Anthony! It's those details that let a model come to life.

Rainer

Rainer I agree mate, its the smaller (but just as important) details we spend the extra time on that makes a difference.

4 hours ago, Barry said:

Well Barry, you set the benchmark mate, mine are no where as nice as yours but it's the best I could do. I am hoping that with some black basing and careful airbrush work I can add some nice depth etc.

Thanks gents, its reassuring that I am pointing in the right direction.  I have a few tradesmen in working on my bathroom renovation today so not sure I will get much time on it, but my goal is to hopefully finish the upper right intake section (top and sides).  I have to undercoat the ceilings as well this weekend too...

Might squeeze in a little before the tiler arrives!

Cheers, Anthony....always appreciative of your likes, and encouragement!

9 hours ago, jenshb said:

Good show - even getting the spacing consistent:)

Thanks buddy, that spacing isnt easy, and there are a thousand little triangles in the carpet around where I work!

7 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

Incredible work on that intake edge!

Thanks Marcel, glad you noticed, as that front shape of the top of the intake changes shape on the Spey intakes

Cheers guys!

Hope to have this top section finished by the days end

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Fabulous effort mate.  Looking forward to some bit glued together so we can see a larger combined effort.  What a cracking build going on here.  

Signed freezing to death in Memphis.

P.S noticed Gloria Lyons is going together in John's hangar?  How cool is that.

Troy  

So...I just saw this pic in a former airedales group I’m in. They were all talking about the heat put out by the F-4K during cross deck ops. Thought it worthy of sharing...absolutely brilliant shot. Love the plane guard hanging out like it’s no big deal. That double extension nose strut just blows me away every time I see it. The stroke of that cat shot had to be intense! 

50961089637_ecbc6a2e1b_c.jpg

-Peter

On 2/14/2021 at 9:57 AM, Troy Molitor said:

Fabulous effort mate.  Looking forward to some bit glued together so we can see a larger combined effort.  What a cracking build going on here.  

Signed freezing to death in Memphis.

P.S noticed Gloria Lyons is going together in John's hangar?  How cool is that.

Troy  

Thanks Troy, I saw the weather you guys were getting, crazy!  Keep warm buddy

57 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

So...I just saw this pic in a former airedales group I’m in. They were all talking about the heat put out by the F-4K during cross deck ops. Thought it worthy of sharing...absolutely brilliant shot. Love the plane guard hanging out like it’s no big deal. That double extension nose strut just blows me away every time I see it. The stroke of that cat shot had to be intense! 

50961089637_ecbc6a2e1b_c.jpg

-Peter

Thanks Peter, yes I know, thats a cracking photo.  All those launch photos impress me of the 'K's' on Ark Royal.  In fact I am struggling not to do my model in these colours when the fintip RWR was fitted, trouble is it would mean snapping off my ILS/VOR Antennas off the fin and I really like the look with those fitted...very cool! Who knows, I may yet do this scheme.  I am trying to resist but pics like that make it difficult!

Thanks for sharing, and following along!

Well progress has been slow whilst renovations are happening around the house.  But since my last photos @Haroldintake splitter and vari ramps arrived, they are beautiful and the work him and @thierry laurent did was worth the money spent without doubt. Although I can only use the front splitter as that first stage ramp is different on Spey birds.

m2OHZ6.jpg

nYXOgW.jpg

I have almost finished this vent off and again since the last photos I have primered with Mr Surfacer, done some trimming, replacing and refining of some clumsy looking fins and sanded back again.  I think I am close (I could possibly leave it) but some of the fins need still need refining.  In the meantime the top of the left intake is underway.

5KYDLC.jpg

QRLZkS.jpg

And in situ

c8sgQx.jpg

Slow progress I know but at least I am still moving forward 

Cheers Anthony