RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Couldnt see what I was doing with the white plastic card, so shot Mr Surfacer and....whoa, there goes a whole pile of areas that now need sorting out...

QUEumS.jpg

In case you are wondering...most of those openings are different sizes

VVuOQC.jpg

Cheers Anthony

On 1/17/2021 at 7:51 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

First class work, Anthony!

Kev

Thanks Kev!

Well work continues at a glacial pace right now as I am STILL working on these intakes!

Because the kit intakes were shortened a little the corresponding lower wing needed modification to keep everything in it's place.  Just behind the edge of where the intakes are glued there are a row of rivets.  According to my calculations and offering the parts all up together taped together I need to shorten to the rivet line.  The pic below should illustrate showing one side already done.

2xQKUV.jpg

Another update soon, just got to take a couple of pics for you all.

Cheers Anthony

Here we are at the intakes...did I mention this is a massive job???LOL.  But I think if you see how I have tackled it, then it might make it a little easier and quicker.  As I say there are probably other ways, but this is just how I have decided to go about it.

Both top vent boxes are done (and match-phew) but I still need to add the louvers.  But I am just finishing up the lower ones before I tackle that.  I have taped them to the WH resin fuse to see where I need to be as I know this area is going to be a mess due to the fact this area was widened too much. 

XO1CoB.jpg

TEw6sc.jpg

I can slowly see the more accurate 'coke bottle' shape starting to emerge

TlEq89.jpg

However you will start to see the issue between the resin fuselage and accurate (I believe) intakes.  Notice the 'dip between the 2?  The actual shape is somewhere between the two

4WuTVI.jpg

here it is close up

ZxXCXW.jpg

Interestingly what I can now see is how the Spey engine thrust line must effect the intake trunking. and structure shape, and why the shoulder is higher at its junction with the upper fuse spine area on Brit Phantoms.

I will address those shapes in another post

As always thanks for tuning in

Anthony

That is looking fantastic Anthony (and certainly does appear to capture the look of a Spey Phantom); from memory, I think that the Spey thrust line inclination is something like 6 degrees 45 minutes.

As for vents, this must be occupying your thoughts on how to do that? I do not know which is best (there are several ways), but one approach which could provide consistency is to make a large batch of them as a single set (as a separate item) and then cut them to fit the vent box shape afterwards. By stacking oversize wide (but thin) plastic strips of plastic in between much narrower strips (of the correct spacing thickness), they can then be set (by clamping or supporting in some manner) at the correct angle and be glued together. Once dried, the angled vents can be sanded at the bottom (to thin out the narrower plastic strip thickness), and be cut to shape to match the vent box - you can the sand the top of the vents flush with the surface of the vent boxes after they have been glued in place.

This only one approach, there are many others!

Great work and good luck

Derek

5 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

I haven't commented here Ant but I've been watching and thoroughly enjoying this undertaking. This will be a spectacular model!!

Hey buddy!  

I saw that you had been liking my posts and was wondering when you were going to pipe up...great to hear from you and great to have you along! Although as you will know...my NZ Aviation builds are suffering with this one

On 1/25/2021 at 3:21 AM, Derek B said:

That is looking fantastic Anthony (and certainly does appear to capture the look of a Spey Phantom); from memory, I think that the Spey thrust line inclination is something like 6 degrees 45 minutes.

As for vents, this must be occupying your thoughts on how to do that? I do not know which is best (there are several ways), but one approach which could provide consistency is to make a large batch of them as a single set (as a separate item) and then cut them to fit the vent box shape afterwards. By stacking oversize wide (but thin) plastic strips of plastic in between much narrower strips (of the correct spacing thickness), they can then be set (by clamping or supporting in some manner) at the correct angle and be glued together. Once dried, the angled vents can be sanded at the bottom (to thin out the narrower plastic strip thickness), and be cut to shape to match the vent box - you can the sand the top of the vents flush with the surface of the vent boxes after they have been glued in place.

This only one approach, there are many others!

Great work and good luck

Derek

Thanks Derek

I like your idea, I have a bit of time later tonight which I hope to finish off boxing the lower ones, then I might have a play with your idea and see if anything transpires...thank you

Cheers Anthony

On 1/24/2021 at 1:33 PM, AlbertD said:

You sure do some nice work Anthony. 

Thanks Al....thats a real compliment coming from you which I appreciate.

Thanks go to you all for the comments and likes, I really struggle to stay focused on a subject for longer periods of time due to the standards and striving for accuracy I impose on myself

Hopefully we will see the intakes epoxied on before too long...I need the visual progress myself right now

Cheers all

Anthony

Ugh...I think I have hit the wall with this conversion.  As you can see I have got half way through boxing in the second bleed air section and I cannot seem to find the energy to finish it :unsure:

vJmQNp.jpg

Some of my other projects are starting to look rather inviting right now....