RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Thanks Derek

Ok so the insides are pretty much done.  Part of me wants to dirty up the white, but I think once the engine front is fitted and it is glued to the fuselage the shadowing will be enough.  All I have left to do is put a tiny black 'dot' on the probe front to simulate a hole and then glue the vari ramp section in permanently.

I glued the intake probe/sensors to a piece of very thin plastic card and blended in with Mr Surfacer and then trimmed the edges to match photos of how it mounts to the intakes.  Actually looking at photos I have glued them in a slightly different position as the kit holes didnt seem in quite the right place (a little low comparing to photos).

Anyway, I am getting close to gluing to the main fuselage...but I have yet to do the vents on the tops and bottoms.  I have had to resist the urge just to glue them on and cross that bridge later on.  But I know that would make them really difficult to do properly....so I better do it now.

v3gf8I.jpg

Cheers 

Anthony

9 hours ago, jimbo59 said:

That looks amazing! Just super clean work!

Thanks Jim, maybe too clean???

2 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Anthony,

PRISTINE....it looks like its comes out 

of a manufacturing  company.

You  have done an impeccable  job.

:goodjob:  :bow:

Thank you MARU!  Appreciate your encouragement sir!  Great to have you along

1 hour ago, Marcel111 said:

Absolutely perfect! I have lately taken to getting the insides of my intakes a little dirty, closely keeping to pics of the real deal, and I think it adds realism to the overall look.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks Marcel

I shot some super thinned grey down there to tone it all down, but it still looks like that even after that and using a greyed off white on initial painting.  I guess the flash didn't help.

What would be nice would be decal panel lines and hinges. Often panel lines are obvious in intakes as they seem to collect dirt.

I am just sorting the transition between intakes and resin fuselage before gluing.  Getting the 'line' close as possible and the width of the fuse correct is best done before gluing the intakes on so I can work on the enlarged shoulders, see below as one of my refs from Ferodo Bridge's Flickr acct highlights

There is a LOT of info in this photo below which explains where the shapes all are.  I will explain more later on when I get them glued on

rITzEM.jpg

In the meantime, back to the upper and lower intake vents

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

So I thought I would update you all on the intakes (the never ending story!)

Now the internals are done and painted it was time for me to face the bleed air vents on the Brit Toom.  These are wider than std Phantom intakes as this is where the widening was done.

I now have most of the upper vent sections boxed in. Hopefully you can see where I am going with this angled corner piece. The dimensions are matched perfectly to everyone's measurements they supplied...so thankyou all!  What this now does is give me the basic shape that I can now trim and sand/contour everything down to. This should allow me to get very close to where the shape needs to be and then I can finish boxing in the inner sections...then add all the angled vents :blink: ( I might need locking up after this part as I have been dreading it!)

This is where I need to be, photo courtesy of @Iain

7cI8U7.jpg

And this is where I am at

TFWjmI.jpg

This pic also shows (kinda) that I have smoothed all the inner surfaces

QqdJQN.jpg

Not pretty I know....but I said it would be warts n all

Cheers and thanks for stopping by

Anthony

Looking forward to how you solve this one Anthony.  Looking great so far.

P.S.

I saw a couple pictures of our friend John Saunders extracting some "P-40 bits" from the recent John Smith collection out of Mapua.  Love the Classic Wings magazine!

Looks like John might have purchased the P-40E fuselage.  Great news.  

Just now, Troy Molitor said:

Looking forward to how you solve this one Anthony.  Looking great so far.

P.S.

I saw a couple pictures of our friend John Saunders extracting some "P-40 bits" from the recent John Smith collection out of Mapua.  Love the Classic Wings magazine!

Looks like John might have purchased the P-40E fuselage.  Great news.  

Yes John and Mike have brought the P-40E to rebuild to fly...she is incredibly complete inside.

I need to get down there for Easter sometime.  I think John owns or part owner in three plus P-40's?  Crazy fun.  i

Phantom is looking fantastic mate.  Seriously, keep the updates coming!  Love them all.  Just don't tell anyone I'm snooping in at the jet builds! ha. Great show going on here.  

12 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

I need to get down there for Easter sometime.  I think John owns or part owner in three plus P-40's?  Crazy fun.  i

Phantom is looking fantastic mate.  Seriously, keep the updates coming!  Love them all.  Just don't tell anyone I'm snooping in at the jet builds! ha. Great show going on here.  

Yes you do!

He has at least 2 P-40's and a Harvard...something tells me he has more but I just cant remember

Well I will probably use fine plastic card as I can MEK it in nice and cleanly.  I am going to black base the whole airframe before topcoat so I will be careful when spraying around here so the black base acts as a deep layer so as to simulate the depth without washes.  

But as I say, I am making it us as I go really