RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

1 minute ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Anthony, that's lovely work all round!

Fantastic, clean job around the exhaust area! :bow:

Thank you very much....that was quite a mission in the end.  I didnt realize they were different when I started this kit....

1 hour ago, Cees Broere said:

Nice attention to detail Anthony, mine doesn't go all the way as yours does but good enough. Now get on with it and don't leave me alone in this;)

Thanks Cees!  Ummmm, yours IS plenty good enough mate.  A big inspiration for me!

I found the definitive glory shot that shows the FG.1 is straight!  That has taken some hours to do.  Iain, thanks mate, I would have just ploughed ahead and put the kink in it, but you questioned whether or not it is there on FG.1's.  Thank you very much!

FNnitv.jpg

I can go to bed now, one less job to worry about LOL 

Magic - I could see what looks like the crease/larger openings on other FGR2s, but nothing that confirmed on FG1s.

Sorry if I gave you a bum steer - but useful to know this is another potential detail difference between the marks. You live and learn!  :)

Makes note to pay attention next time I have a full airframe in front of me!

Iain

Hi Anthony,

Like you, I also have been looking at some images. The fin inlet does appear to be bulged on many FGR.2 aircraft, but it does appear that the FG.1 is not, so I agree with you.

Interesting discussion in the link below:

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2016/01/f4hf-4-phantom-ram-air-inlet-mysteries.html

Some more FG.1 images:

XV582 - McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 - United Kingdom - Royal Air Force (RAF)

1516727844.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

10 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Those are very nice pics and clearly show how the fuselage slopes down sharply at the rear. Something that is not depicted in the Tamiya kit IMHO.

Keep it up Anthony.

Yes Cees I agree and a great photo to illustrate.  Frank did a great job on his conversion in that area, he sorted the engine diameter out and brought the curved line up nicely.  I think thats the only piece I would have cut and spliced out of the WH upper fuselage piece and grafted into the Tamiya fuse.  I experimented and have used a piece of tube wrapped in emery paper and gently enhancing that line down through there as it is very pronounced on the Brit Toom.  I will explain more when I get to this section of the fuse on my build.

I must say, I am hugely grateful to Frank Mitchell for paving/pioneering the way for us all in how to make a Brit Phantom, and made us all feel it was do-able whether or not we had the conversion set.

I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to have cast these parts like they were.

Knowing what we know now about the fuselage shapes. Klaus could have save a whole lot of time and stress by making lower fuse engine bay inserts and side panels to graft into the Tamiya fuselage.  No wonder that kit put him under as that one piece fuselage casting looks like a logistical nightmare!

So, thanks guys I for one appreciate it.

Now back to finish this fin so I can address those pesky intakes!

OK, just posting this in case I forget to tell you all later.

This was a 'gotcha' for me.  You probably already knew this anyway, but the 2 access panels on the RWR antenna are only on the left side!  I just repositioned and rescribed them on the other side to match the left and realized they are only on one side...Ugh, filled with CA now.:whistle:

PcqMsz.jpg

Right...back to it

Edited by Anthony in NZ

The dreaded modeller’s “assumption of symmetry” strikes again! We’ve all been there, of course.

Great work Anthony. Watching your great work on this is somewhat bittersweet. Always excellent to see your talented work, of course, but a little sad that all of this is what’s needed to portray a UK Phantom! Hopefully your efforts will spur a manufacturer to get one to market in 1/32 scale!

3 hours ago, GMK said:

The dreaded modeller’s “assumption of symmetry” strikes again! We’ve all been there, of course.

Great work Anthony. Watching your great work on this is somewhat bittersweet. Always excellent to see your talented work, of course, but a little sad that all of this is what’s needed to portray a UK Phantom! Hopefully your efforts will spur a manufacturer to get one to market in 1/32 scale!

Thanks very much! 

Yep, I'm doing this for all the people who want a Brit Toom :D.  Actually I hope it does encourage someone too do one or a conversion.  At least they will be able to see all the detail differences.

I was hoping for an update today but my wife has all her girlfriends coming over for a big 'Clothing Swap' and I dont wanna be around :ninja: so the Phantom will have to wait today and I will go down to the hangar and do some work on my 1:1 scale Auster T.7

The fin is close to being finished and I am working on the blade antennas for the fin...it's going to look cool when I glue those on!

Anyhoo...I better hurry up before everyone starts showing up

Cheers Anthony

Hey Anthony,

I love the efforts going on here.  Nothing more.  Such a deep dive into the abyss and I’m loving it. I haven’t seen a second Phantom with a lower inlet vertical stab inlet kink but looking forward to seeing one.   

Did see your reply on the J. Saunders hanger.   Three P-40’s is a good thing!   A Ryan STA is even better,   A SE-5 is even better!   He has a Kiwi T-6 as well.  Hoping he has a couple lives to make it all happen!  We spent a lot of good time around this lovely planet working on modern commercial aircraft transfers.  Certainly good times!   For sure.  

8 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Hey Anthony,

I love the efforts going on here.  Nothing more.  Such a deep dive into the abyss and I’m loving it. I haven’t seen a second Phantom with a lower inlet vertical stab inlet kink but looking forward to seeing one.   

Did see your reply on the J. Saunders hanger.   Three P-40’s is a good thing!   A Ryan STA is even better,   A SE-5 is even better!   He has a Kiwi T-6 as well.  Hoping he has a couple lives to make it all happen!  We spent a lot of good time around this lovely planet working on modern commercial aircraft transfers.  Certainly good times!   For sure.  

Thanks Troy...and not being a jet guy I appreciate your interest!

4 hours ago, DonH said:

This is a great build, I am enjoying learning all about the tiny details on the best of the tooms.

IMHO, the kink in the intake is the result of blunt force trauma applied by a technician. Probably after an internet search "what can make my Phantom go faster?"

Thanks Don, yes this sure is a learning curve for me too.  LOL yes, we are all just petrol headed boys at heart arent we!

Here we go, FGR.2 XT899, with the kink in the fin base too

MT5bk7.jpg

Actually the FGR.2 fin is very different as far as panel configuration goes.  Strange but true

Might try and squeeze a bit of modelling in before bed...