RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

4 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Whilst is it not a lot to see, the fin surface is being completely redone.  All new panel lines and rivet detailing.  The RWR fintip antenna has been completely rescribed to match the actual thing.  Still some more to go, but nearly there, still yet to add the different fuel vent, Aires intake at the front and the Master pitot's....then finish off with the ILS blade antennas on the sides. 

Who would have thought so much work in a fin???

WBclFS.jpg

Anyway, when I sort a few more areas out and get a 'Chuck wash' on, then all the differences should become apparent 

Cheers Anthony

Even without a 'chuck wash' on it, I can clearly see how neat and accurate your scribing is - well done Anthony.

Derek

5 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Nice result Anthony,

It looks like the fueldumppipes are still in J-type configuration. The British version had a much shorter setup.

Yes mate, I have yet to change them...

5 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Anthony,

INSPIRING  and very methodical.

Informative  which is most helpful to others.

NEAT scribing  too.

:wow:

:thumbsup:

BRILLIANT  workmanship. 

Keep up the   :goodjob:

:clap2:   :clap2:   :clap2:

Maru, I can always rely on you to be really encouraging!  Thank you!

I am hoping it will be an informative thread for all Brit Phantom builders as there are a lot of differences, many quite subtle, and I am 'trying' to sort them and change them where I can.

However it in no way would be possible without the collective help here and a couple on Britmodeller 

Thanks guys!

5 hours ago, Derek B said:

Even without a 'chuck wash' on it, I can clearly see how neat and accurate your scribing is - well done Anthony.

Derek

Thank you sir!  I dont get a lot of time to work on this with family, work etc, but I am making steady progress. Nice to have your 'tick' of approval.

Strangely every panel line except 1 needed changing or modifying.

Cheers and thanks guys!!!

Anthony

14 hours ago, Starfighter said:

The subtle surface detail looks absolutely stunning - just don't let anything else distract you now! :) 

Thanks Ben, I am doing my best not to get sidetracked....but I am enjoying what time I have to work on her

Brit Phantoms had a different vent/fuel dump pipe to the US ones, they were shorter(to fit on the carrier?) and in a 'V' shape.  I decided not to use the WH whole piece and I just cut the end off and modified it to how I thought looked right and redid the fairing under it

fhX1qr.jpg

And with primer on it... much better

2hk1tP.jpg

Then onto the front and the Aires replacement front part trimmed and glued in, this is much more refined than the kit part. You will notice a small gap between the fin and fuse.  There is a strip of plastic card to go down the side as there was an 'L' profile trim that joined the 2 together on the actual plane.

d33TPa.jpg

Now back to fixing up the surface imperfection's and then ILS antennas on the side

Cheers Anthony

4 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Great to see such fine work on a proper Phantom, just in case you haven't seen these seats, am sure Derek can confirm if the spiel is correct.

Hi Andy,

I really need to see a better images of these seats in order to determine if they are correct or not? However; I can certainly help Anthony out in this area should he require any assistance from me. :)

Cheers

Derek

16 hours ago, AlbertD said:

You've made some great progress since I last looked in. Looks amazing and is really coming together.

Thanks Al, slow and steady wins the race for me here.  A couple of times I thought about working on one of my other projects, but actually I am really enjoying this conversion!

10 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Great to see such fine work on a proper Phantom, just in case you haven't seen these seats, am sure Derek can confirm if the spiel is correct.

Hi Andy, thanks, yes I have a set on my ebay watch list and am wondering what they are like.... I need to really look at my options here.  Thanks for keeping an eye out for me!

5 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi Andy,

I really need to see a better images of these seats in order to determine if they are correct or not? However; I can certainly help Anthony out in this area should he require any assistance from me. :)

Cheers

Derek

Thanks Derek, I will need your help on the Brit harness set up when I get to the cockpit.

Whilst finishing off the fin I have started contemplating how I am going to fix these intakes next...I am still at a bit of a loss, but something ill come up into my head I am sure as it's next on my list...

Thanks for all your advice, checking in and likes, really helps me with this difficult conversion, although I am probably not making it easy on myself either!

Cheers

Anthony

Looking spectacular Anthony.  I don't usually dive into the jet build in great detail but when I do, I usually learn something new.  For sure this is the case here.  Lovely efforts going on here Mate.  I had no clue the RAF Phantoms were so different.  

Troy  

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Al, slow and steady wins the race for me here.  A couple of times I thought about working on one of my other projects, but actually I am really enjoying this conversion!

Hi Andy, thanks, yes I have a set on my ebay watch list and am wondering what they are like.... I need to really look at my options here.  Thanks for keeping an eye out for me!

Thanks Derek, I will need your help on the Brit harness set up when I get to the cockpit.

Whilst finishing off the fin I have started contemplating how I am going to fix these intakes next...I am still at a bit of a loss, but something ill come up into my head I am sure as it's next on my list...

Thanks for all your advice, checking in and likes, really helps me with this difficult conversion, although I am probably not making it easy on myself either!

Cheers

Anthony

I'll help you (and anyone else) any way I can Anthony. If you need to discuss any intake ideas, let me know. Keep up the good work Anthony.

Derek

12 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Looking spectacular Anthony.  I don't usually dive into the jet build in great detail but when I do, I usually learn something new.  For sure this is the case here.  Lovely efforts going on here Mate.  I had no clue the RAF Phantoms were so different.  

Troy  

Thanks Troy, I am glad you are enjoying it.  I knew there were some differences, but the list gets longer the more I dig!

Oh when I was at John's hangar a few weeks ago he said you were the best boss he ever had!  LOL he had 3 P-40's in his hangar...you were right!

12 hours ago, Derek B said:

I'll help you (and anyone else) any way I can Anthony. If you need to discuss any intake ideas, let me know. Keep up the good work Anthony.

Derek

Brilliant Derek, I will tap into your vast knowledge when I get into these intakes. There seem to be quite some differences, even slightly shorter in length, different vari-ramps etc.

Thanks Chaps for all your interest!  

I shall continue to make this as informative about Brit Phantoms as I can

Cheers Anthony

Quick update before I head off to bed.

Here is the fin in std kit form with a couple of mods done and with a wash.

DYlyn7.jpg

After studying photos and differences between Brit and US Phantom's and then subsequent differences between the FG.1 and FGR.2 fins, decided it was time to correct everything.  Hard to explain all the differences, but some panel lines (although look to be in the same place are slightly different) and riveting images should show the differences better.

Here is the much modified one...

DtwK5V.jpg

J0uuDr.jpg

Little bit of tidying up to do after buffing the wash off, but hopefully you can see the differences

Cheers Anthony